BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

04-24-2023, 10:21 AM   #1
ikhanBmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 318i

Diesel Or Petrol

Hi,
I am a new driver and bought my first car 3 Series E-90 318i 2009 with 93k on clock. But only after 3 months, the flashing engine light came, and after getting checked from the garage I found out that cylinder 4 was misfiring. The garage told me the engine is gone and there is no point getting the engine replaced. So the car is parked in my driveway so now I am planning to buy 1 Series but I am not sure if I go for Petrol or diesel, the reason I am asking this question is, the mechanic who checked my E90 said don't but german petrol car they are not reliable. Always go for BMW diesel as they are more reliable compared to the Petrol counterpart.

Any help and suggestion would be appreciated. Just to let you know I only do the short journey in city, no long motorways journeys.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 11:36 AM   #2
cjn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 F40 M135iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikhanBmw View Post
Hi,
I am a new driver and bought my first car 3 Series E-90 318i 2009 with 93k on clock. But only after 3 months, the flashing engine light came, and after getting checked from the garage I found out that cylinder 4 was misfiring. The garage told me the engine is gone and there is no point getting the engine replaced. So the car is parked in my driveway so now I am planning to buy 1 Series but I am not sure if I go for Petrol or diesel, the reason I am asking this question is, the mechanic who checked my E90 said don't but german petrol car they are not reliable. Always go for BMW diesel as they are more reliable compared to the Petrol counterpart.

Any help and suggestion would be appreciated. Just to let you know I only do the short journey in city, no long motorways journeys.

Thanks
My first reaction is to get a second opinion on the state of your engine. Unless your garage can give you a clear and credible explanation of why the car should be scrapped, you should be very careful!

Secondly, your mechanic has a strange attitude towards German petrol cars. Reliability is governed by many factors and if you see a car you like take it to a different garage for a thorough checkout. If your current garage is also trying to set you up with a replacement vehicle you need to shop around.

Take care, and good luck!
Appreciate 0