BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

03-08-2022, 07:55 PM   #1
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

2022 228i XDrive/ Oxidation/Debris inside headlight

Hey Everybody,
So I am obsessed with having perfectly clear headlight lenses, every car I’ve ever had I have done everything possible to restore, and keep my headlights looking perfect. I have a 2022 F44 with 7000 miles. There is already significant pitting, there was when I bought it as a service loaner, I am going to restore the headlights on the outside, and then ceramic coat them and then PPF them. However when I look at the headlights it almost appears as they are already oxidized on the inside, and the LED projector lens is covered with small dots, looks like dust or debris.

Can someone else check out their projectors and tell me if they look like mine? I have not changed out the bulbs nor has the dealership. I know it’s something small to nitpick but I feel like I may bring it up with my service advisor and see what he can do under warranty. Thanks for the advice/fellow observations������
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 06:45 AM   #2
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

I think you'll find this is perfectly normal, led's do not produce any light in the radiation range that causes oxidising of the lenses, meaning there is practically zero UV or IR rays. What you are seeing is just dust reflection, dust will be present because the lamps have vents to reduce condensation...
https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/T...eadlights-833/

My Audi A4, with matrix headlights, did the same..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you so much that’s what I figured, it was just an optical illusion and once I clean up the lenses it’ll look good. I’m extremely OCD and if I thought I could crack open the headlights to clean the inside with ease, I most certainly would. I am however going to take out the headlights when I begin the restoration process, quite nervous because they are new headlights but I’ve restored many headlights before and I’m hoping I can get them to OEM perfection and then apply PPF����
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:28 AM   #4
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow good luck with taking the headlamps out and cleaning them. Not a job for the fainthearted and I'd be concerned about warranty issues..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

Well I am not going to attempt to open them up and clean them, however I do want to take them off when I restore them as in sand them down, polish, ceramic coat and then PPF them. It’s only a few bolts and a wiring harness��
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lets hope it's a few bolts and doesn't require removal of the inner wing and the front end as some cars require..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #7
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

It looks like two bolts, and one wiring harness. I suspect it will be rather simple, but even if it becomes more complicated once I attempt removal, I will just tape it off and wet sand, and polish with them while on. I will most likely do a write up. Unfortunately the lens covers are not available for purchase themselves yet, unlike Many past generation BMW’s that have brand new lens covers available for $100🤷🏻🤦😓
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #8
Wagvfr
Wagvfr
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC, 2022 228ix GC

My wife has a 2022 228ix GC. The 2 bolts that you identified are T30P (Torx). The plastic, what looks like a fastener, in your second pic is the headlight up and down adjuster.

You might get lucky and not have to pull the front bumper cover for removal. Looks like a simple tab removal of the black trim piece on top of the headlight towards the front.

Sadly, most newer cars require front bumper cover removal to remove the headlight assemblies, including my X3MC.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #9
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would also have the alignment checked afterwards...
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #10
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I think I might get lucky, I’m gonna set some time aside to do it and make sure I cover the bumper cover when I attempt to pull it out. I was surprised to see the plastic headlight adjustment that looks like a Phillips screw. Considering they are auto leveling, but I guess it’s nice that BMW gives you the option of they aren’t leveled to your liking?

Ideally I would want to have them out when I restore them because there’s gonna be a mess of material all over, and I’m sure seeping down between the top of the bumper and below the headlight that would be difficult to clean otherwise��
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #11
Stanjenrid
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugatuJag View Post
Hey Everybody,
So I am obsessed with having perfectly clear headlight lenses, every car I've ever had I have done everything possible to restore, and keep my headlights looking perfect. I have a 2022 F44 with 7000 miles. There is already significant pitting, there was when I bought it as a service loaner, I am going to restore the headlights on the outside, and then ceramic coat them and then PPF them. However when I look at the headlights it almost appears as they are already oxidized on the inside, and the LED projector lens is covered with small dots, looks like dust or debris.

Can someone else check out their projectors and tell me if they look like mine? I have not changed out the bulbs nor has the dealership. I know it's something small to nitpick but I feel like I may bring it up with my service advisor and see what he can do under warranty. Thanks for the advice/fellow observations������
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugatuJag View Post
Hey Everybody,
So I am obsessed with having perfectly clear headlight lenses, every car I've ever had I have done everything possible to restore, and keep my headlights looking perfect. I have a 2022 F44 with 7000 miles. There is already significant pitting, there was when I bought it as a service loaner, I am going to restore the headlights on the outside, and then ceramic coat them and then PPF them. However when I look at the headlights it almost appears as they are already oxidized on the inside, and the LED projector lens is covered with small dots, looks like dust or debris.

Can someone else check out their projectors and tell me if they look like mine? I have not changed out the bulbs nor has the dealership. I know it's something small to nitpick but I feel like I may bring it up with my service advisor and see what he can do under warranty. Thank for the advice/fellow observations������
Okau
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #12
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep

?
Appreciate 0