E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Disabling Fog lights and Dash Alert

10-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
SfrBengali
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 MSport

Disabling Fog lights and Dash Alert

I have been doing some research on my issue and I think the answer might be a “no” but wanted to make sure.

My front right fog light on my 2011 328i Sportwagon (with M sport package) is out. It’s not just the bulb. The whole unit needs to be replaced ($500 at the dealer and they do not have the part on island).

Problem is that that here in Hawaii all exterior lights are supposed to work to pass the safety check. Basically, if the safety check guy at the dealer sees the dashboard alert that the light is out he will check it and fail the car. The dealer will not bypass it for me but in an oblique way I was told I could disconnect both lights at the bulb and the warning won’t go on. My research tells me this is not the case. Am I right?

I know some independent safety check places will not care about the fog light (we don’t get fog here in paradise!), but they won’t ignore the warning light.

Any thoughts would be much obliged!

Aloha
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

You can code out cold and warm check for thw fog lights. Read more in coding subforum if you're not familiar with the coding process.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
N54Twin
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfrBengali View Post
I have been doing some research on my issue and I think the answer might be a “no” but wanted to make sure.

My front right fog light on my 2011 328i Sportwagon (with M sport package) is out. It’s not just the bulb. The whole unit needs to be replaced ($500 at the dealer and they do not have the part on island).

Problem is that that here in Hawaii all exterior lights are supposed to work to pass the safety check. Basically, if the safety check guy at the dealer sees the dashboard alert that the light is out he will check it and fail the car. The dealer will not bypass it for me but in an oblique way I was told I could disconnect both lights at the bulb and the warning won’t go on. My research tells me this is not the case. Am I right?

I know some independent safety check places will not care about the fog light (we don’t get fog here in paradise!), but they won’t ignore the warning light.

Any thoughts would be much obliged!

Aloha
If u have a KDcan cable i can help u out.
      10-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
You can code out cold and warm check for thw fog lights. Read more in coding subforum if you're not familiar with the coding process.
^This is the best way^

Coding to the FRM module to turn off bulb checks for the foglights L & R.

Other option is disconnect fog light harness plugs to the bulbs.

A) buy bulbs to plug in and hide them somewhere. Just dont turn them on. They will give the resistance the FRM is looking for to detect a good bulb. No resistance, or no light bulbs, will trigger the warning light.

B) Buy error code eliminators from a well known source, these are used when installing HID's or even LED bulbs into the fog lights. They plug into where the fog light bulbs would normally be plugged in. Be sure to get the correct style for your year and model.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
SfrBengali
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 MSport

Thanks for all the offers for help. I spoke to the guys at Bavarian Motor Experts and they gave me some pointers too and a spare bulb.

I opened it this morning to take a look. Fixed the assembly with one little zip-tie. Had to get a different replacement bulb from the local parts store. It worked just fine. Alarm silenced. 2 hours (including trip to parts store) and $12 and the job is done! And the BMW dealership here said they needed to order the part and it would cost $500..... yeah. They only get work from me when it is warranty work now.
Appreciate 0