R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

06-19-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
ldmclain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

track duty rotors for GTS

looking for rec's on steel rotors for my GTS... gonna track it more often and don't want to wear the PCCB's anymore. Is there a consensus on size and manufacturer... ?

I will likely run 19 inch Apex or BBS wheels on all 4 and want to rotors to fill the wheel diameter decently.... hate the look of small rotors.

Thanks for any advice guys
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
Girodiscs

I recently just went from CCB on my GTS to Giro steels. I first used the Pagid 29s and did not like them at all. Endurance pad that never seemed to bed and wasn’t a fan of the feel. Moving to Giro GP40 pads this weekend.

Lots of GTS users have gone to giro steels and GP40s for the track with great success.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 05:10 PM   #3
mikerunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [9.72]
As far as size - I stayed with the 400 front and 380 rear and run Apex RS5 19” with no issue
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 11:39 PM   #4
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Just purchased a whole set from GiroDisc .. Rotors, Pads GP40 and 810 shape, Titanium shield, it set me back about 4 Grand… Another user by the name SYT_Shadow suggested GiroDisc and their brake pads. He knows a thing a or two… more like he knows MANY and ALOT… Dude has solid advice and proven work into running GTS x 2…

I have a set of ground control plates i instead in installing along with brake rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:18 AM   #5
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, G05 X5

I swapped my CCB's for OEM iron rotors from the M2C, direct swap, plus Carbotech pads. Ran them for 3 track days without issue, then swapped the front to the smaller AP kit so I could run 18" wheels.

I've got the front rotors and pads up for sale, you can throw them on for $600, I'm still running the OEM iron rear rotors with Carbotech's on my car.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1899725
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #6
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveishi View Post
I swapped my CCB's for OEM iron rotors from the M2C, direct swap, plus Carbotech pads. Ran them for 3 track days without issue, then swapped the front to the smaller AP kit so I could run 18" wheels.

I've got the front rotors and pads up for sale, you can throw them on for $600, I'm still running the OEM iron rear rotors with Carbotech's on my car.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1899725
IDMCLAIN - As daveishi has mentioned, utilizing the M2C iron rotors and alternative brake pads are a cheaper, direct fit option to still drive GTS without breaking your wallet. Everyday, spirited driving and road rally use. If your track days are not frequent and perhaps in a beginner-amateur race groups. These will hold up overall.

However, if you are aggressive, forged lightweight alloy wheel, track focused/slick tires, advanced(open passing) race groups… then crossed drilled will be come problematic. Ultimately spider cracking from individual holes and across the rotor surface. There is plenty of other forum pages demonstrating and providing more information about this.

There are obviously other brake/ rotors manufactures, but most whom are truly invested end up getting AP Racing/Alcon/Brembo kits that allow for 18 inch rims and larger tire options generally. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #7
daveishi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_397K View Post
IDMCLAIN - As daveishi has mentioned, utilizing the M2C iron rotors and alternative brake pads are a cheaper, direct fit option to still drive GTS without breaking your wallet. Everyday, spirited driving and road rally use. If your track days are not frequent and perhaps in a beginner-amateur race groups. These will hold up overall.

However, if you are aggressive, forged lightweight alloy wheel, track focused/slick tires, advanced(open passing) race groups… then crossed drilled will be come problematic. Ultimately spider cracking from individual holes and across the rotor surface. There is plenty of other forum pages demonstrating and providing more information about this.

There are obviously other brake/ rotors manufactures, but most whom are truly invested end up getting AP Racing/Alcon/Brembo kits that allow for 18 inch rims and larger tire options generally. To each their own.
I've also seen these reports however I'm always curious on the conditions and driving style that may have contributed to the cracking. I exclusively drive in advanced open passing and granted I don't normally run entire 20-25 minute sessions, but I do put in at least 3 hot laps. Of course the fronts take more abuse than the rear but my rears have held up great the past 2 years of 13ish events per year. Also I'm not running full slicks but am running decently fast cheater tires- A052, RE71RS, Nankang CRS, and Toyo RR (although closest to slicks, these are the slowest).

I also ran the OEM ZCP drilled rotors on my e46 M3 for about 3 years without any cracking (16+ events per year), granted I had front brake ducts on that car (a friend bought it a few years ago and is still tracking it with the same brakes).

In any case, what I'm saying is I think bang for your buck on OEM rotors is superior if you're going to stay with 19" wheels. I would have continued to run them had I not wanted to go to the M4 GT4 18x11 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 02:59 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Brake consumable rate is highly correlated to pace

I used the M2C rotors in GTS0 (prior to buying GTS1 & GTS2, and after destroying the CCB rotors in a couple weekends) and wouldn't do it again. They are not meant for track use. That said, I'm sure some find success with them, and good for them! Not everyone needs the most capable setup and many times people waste money getting things they do not need
Appreciate 2
mikerunt306.00
Lienrocs703.00
      06-20-2023, 03:39 PM   #9
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

A few of options here:

1. 400x36 paragon discs for R19 Rims

2. 396x36 paragon discs for R18 Rims (this option requires machining the calipers)

3. 378x36 paragon discs for R18 Rims (without machining the calipers)

For points 2 and 3 custom brackets are needed, I have several units for any diameter of disc.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 06:25 PM   #10
rcompound
Trackwarn
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

AP Brakes were my solution

Went to AP Radical brakes with the 25mm front pads. I use the Ferodo DS1.11 pads. Great pad wear, rotor wear and the brakes never overheat or boil the fluid. That said, the setup is stupid expensive, the Ferodo pads are stupid x stupid expensive.

This setup allows many more wheel & tire options including 18" square setup. When I want to be fast and burn slicks staggered setup works, when I feel like saving some coin I put the square Continental Extreme Contact Force on the car and still have fun.

Everything about the track is expensive; gas, tires, towing and more including brakes. At least my brakes are not top of mind.

Last edited by rcompound; 11-24-2023 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: added content
Appreciate 1
JimmyS70.00