F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My F30 328i test drive
proTUNING Freaks

06-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

My F30 328i test drive

I finally had an opportunity to drive the F30 328i for a decent duration (earlier drive was a very short one - sales person was in a hurry). Below are my thoughts/impressions - I understand most people have already driven this car, but here goes anyway:

Model: 2012 328i (RWD, Prem Pkg, HUD, Navi, 8 Speed Auto, Luxury Line)

Looks - Exterior:
Have loved the looks of the F30 from the time it was released, and more time just confirmed that for me - great evolution of the E90; BMW did well not to screw up the design. Only thing I don't really like is the hood line above the emblem - I wonder how Audi and other manufacturers can get by Euro pedestrian laws without adding this ugly line to the hood. Both MB and BMW suffer from this oddity.

Interior - Looks, ergonomics, material quality:
This particular car had the luxury line, and I just don't like it, period. Subjective of course, but I would (as I guess most here would) pick the sport line/M Sport Pkg. Otherwise, the interior looks great - a nice improvement from the E90 generally, including the Navi, which I loved. The one thing I didn't like compared to the E90 and other past Bimmers is the bottom info portion of the two gauges in the instrument cluster (that semi-circle/pentagon info screen(s)) - I much prefer the standard, simple BMW gauges. Even the info display in the F10 is better - would rather much prefer that than what the F30 has. Materials quality was good, as expected - except the trim on the interior door handles - seemed flimsy, but maybe that was something to do with this car. Also like the cupholders - far more secure; however, may be an issue in stick shift cars due to proximity to the shifter. For me, not an issue, since I would be buying an auto. Seats were ok - unfortunately they didn't have a car with a sport pkg, so couldn't comment on the sport seats, which I am sure must be as good as ever.

Space::
Interior space is increased, I could feel the difference in the rear - so that is a nice improvement, though I am quite happy with the E90 rear seat room. The trunk is, meanwhile, HUGE compared to the E90, so that is nice - I can put my spare/jack/wrench in there now

Now most important - the drive:
The car was non-sport, so I am not going to compare with my car - just general comments:
First off, as others have said, the engine is a revelation - simply amazing. Lots of torque from low down, and you can feel it throughout the range. Hard to imagine this is a 4 pot - its even better than most sixes I have driven - except BMW inline sixes in my ex-06 330i and of course the e90 335i. Just gassed the engine at every available opportunity, and was truly impressed. I think BMW just outdid themselves with this engine. The transmission is amazing as well - always in the right gear, and always lots of oomph. The manumatic was nice too - quick to shift up or down. Overall, I loved the engine/transmission combo - and am really undecided about a 328 or a 335 because of this. Couple of negatives (IMO):
Auto Start Stop: Really poorly done. The car shudders each and every time it restarts, and I don't see myself getting used to it. If I buy an F30, that ASS off button is going to be hit right after I hit the start button - without exception.
Steering feel: Guys and Gals, this is where I would like your opinions - to me, it was completely lifeless and I don't understand how BMW could screw up one of the greatest things about the 3er. It was completely devoid of any feel, and was almost as inert as my wife's Merc E350. Completely lifeless/weightless. I was truly disappointed - and I am hoping they fix it with better programming for 2013. If not, then this could be a deal breaker for me.

In general, loved the car (I hoped to) - except of course for the steering (ASS I can turn off) - so will wait anxiously for the 2013s.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
I finally had an opportunity to drive the F30 328i for a decent duration (earlier drive was a very short one - sales person was in a hurry). Below are my thoughts/impressions - I understand most people have already driven this car, but here goes anyway:

Model: 2012 328i (RWD, Prem Pkg, HUD, Navi, 8 Speed Auto, Luxury Line)

Looks - Exterior:
Have loved the looks of the F30 from the time it was released, and more time just confirmed that for me - great evolution of the E90; BMW did well not to screw up the design. Only thing I don't really like is the hood line above the emblem - I wonder how Audi and other manufacturers can get by Euro pedestrian laws without adding this ugly line to the hood. Both MB and BMW suffer from this oddity.

Interior - Looks, ergonomics, material quality:
This particular car had the luxury line, and I just don't like it, period. Subjective of course, but I would (as I guess most here would) pick the sport line/M Sport Pkg. Otherwise, the interior looks great - a nice improvement from the E90 generally, including the Navi, which I loved. The one thing I didn't like compared to the E90 and other past Bimmers is the bottom info portion of the two gauges in the instrument cluster (that semi-circle/pentagon info screen(s)) - I much prefer the standard, simple BMW gauges. Even the info display in the F10 is better - would rather much prefer that than what the F30 has. Materials quality was good, as expected - except the trim on the interior door handles - seemed flimsy, but maybe that was something to do with this car. Also like the cupholders - far more secure; however, may be an issue in stick shift cars due to proximity to the shifter. For me, not an issue, since I would be buying an auto. Seats were ok - unfortunately they didn't have a car with a sport pkg, so couldn't comment on the sport seats, which I am sure must be as good as ever.

Space::
Interior space is increased, I could feel the difference in the rear - so that is a nice improvement, though I am quite happy with the E90 rear seat room. The trunk is, meanwhile, HUGE compared to the E90, so that is nice - I can put my spare/jack/wrench in there now

Now most important - the drive:
The car was non-sport, so I am not going to compare with my car - just general comments:
First off, as others have said, the engine is a revelation - simply amazing. Lots of torque from low down, and you can feel it throughout the range. Hard to imagine this is a 4 pot - its even better than most sixes I have driven - except BMW inline sixes in my ex-06 330i and of course the e90 335i. Just gassed the engine at every available opportunity, and was truly impressed. I think BMW just outdid themselves with this engine. The transmission is amazing as well - always in the right gear, and always lots of oomph. The manumatic was nice too - quick to shift up or down. Overall, I loved the engine/transmission combo - and am really undecided about a 328 or a 335 because of this. Couple of negatives (IMO):
Auto Start Stop: Really poorly done. The car shudders each and every time it restarts, and I don't see myself getting used to it. If I buy an F30, that ASS off button is going to be hit right after I hit the start button - without exception.
Steering feel: Guys and Gals, this is where I would like your opinions - to me, it was completely lifeless and I don't understand how BMW could screw up one of the greatest things about the 3er. It was completely devoid of any feel, and was almost as inert as my wife's Merc E350. Completely lifeless/weightless. I was truly disappointed - and I am hoping they fix it with better programming for 2013. If not, then this could be a deal breaker for me.

In general, loved the car (I hoped to) - except of course for the steering (ASS I can turn off) - so will wait anxiously for the 2013s.
Your post pretty much epitomises a lot of the positives and negatives seen frequently in these fora.
      06-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
I love posts like these.

Great opinion and very informative. The stock suspension will dissapoint enthusiasts, but prove very comfortable for others; nothing other than BMW appealing to all of their customers uniquely, which is fair.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
The best part of the review for me is the realization that the acronym for the auto start stop is ASS, how approperate
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
I think some people may be a victim of group think. If one person says the feel something in a crowd, people tend to agree.

Now I'm not saying what you felt in the car was wrong, but I think it is an interesting phenomenon. And we all know people feel things differently. I test drove a 2012 328i Sport at one of the BMW Oplympic events. Gunned it, had the opportunity to swing around three traffic circles in a neighborhood, used the auto stop, etc. To me, the shudder wasn't as kidney pounding as some would have you believe. I have driven diesel engine cars. To me personally, the shudder is minimal. It is essentially what you feel when you start the car for the first time. Even in my E90 I feel a vibration when I turn on the engine. Or maybe the car I was testing handled the shudder a little better.

As far as the steering goes, I also test drove an Audi S4 the same day. Not sure why they let me compare those two, but it was FUN to drive. But of course it was an S4. Tighter, harder springs. I tested that first. But when I drove the BMW, there wasn't that much drop off in steering feel. The car rolled a bit more than the Audi, but the steering wasn't noticeably loose or floaty. I can see if I'm going to run laps around a track, but I doubt that my driving will require such tight steering. I guess I'll have to test drive it some more. Perhaps rent one for the weekend. But alas, I already have my M-Sport on order.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

Now I'm not saying what you felt in the car was wrong, but I think it is an interesting phenomenon. And we all know people feel things differently. I test drove a 2012 328i Sport at one of the BMW Oplympic events. Gunned it, had the opportunity to swing around three traffic circles in a neighborhood, used the auto stop, etc. To me, the shudder wasn't as kidney pounding as some would have you believe. I have driven diesel engine cars. To me personally, the shudder is minimal. It is essentially what you feel when you start the car for the first time. Even in my E90 I feel a vibration when I turn on the engine. Or maybe the car I was testing handled the shudder a little better.

As far as the steering goes, I also test drove an Audi S4 the same day. Not sure why they let me compare those two, but it was FUN to drive. But of course it was an S4. Tighter, harder springs. I tested that first. But when I drove the BMW, there wasn't that much drop off in steering feel. The car rolled a bit more than the Audi, but the steering wasn't noticeably loose or floaty. I can see if I'm going to run laps around a track, but I doubt that my driving will require such tight steering. I guess I'll have to test drive it some more. Perhaps rent one for the weekend. But alas, I already have my M-Sport on order.
Yes, the shudder was exactly the same as when you first start that car - however, to have it happen at each and every traffic light was unnerving - glad there is a button to switch it off, though would have been happier with a permanently disabled option. On the other hand, my wife was quite ok with the phenomenon (dare I say 'ASS').

On steering feel, I was comparing it to the E90; really, to me, it felt very inert/lifeless.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Apparently there's a significant difference in the non sport steering, and the Variable sport steering. (I've only drive cars w/ the sport steering...and the car was still very BMW). But I see quite a few complaints w/ the steering, and most of those people drove non sport cars...the others I believe are sheep.

Good thing for me is that it's hotter than Hell here most of the year, so I won't have to experience the ASS system too much. (Although, I suspect it won't bother me as much as it bothers some on here)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
martyl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I drove both a 328 and 335 on Saturday. The 328 was a luxury line and the 335 was a sportline. I currently own an E90 and frankly think both of these cars are a real step up. The 4 cyl engine is a marvel as many have said. It is torquey, smooth and loves to rev. The interior is a real improvement and the car looks sleeker from the outside. The sport automatic shifters are lightning quick and a blast to use. I live and drive in an urban area primarily and will get a 328 sport via ED next summer. This will be my second time doing this. I am not of the opinion that the steering has no feel. It is lighter but firms up nicely in sport mode with the sport suspension. I preferred the lighter, more tossable feel of the 328 though both cars were fantastic. I really don't need the 335's extra power. In real world driving I found little differnece in the engines as many reviews have stated. I really have no complaints about these cars other than the fact that BMW needs to fix all the little problems. The 335 had a constant squeak coming from the sterring wheel. I'll never undertand why BMW continues to have so many quality control issues. Glad I'm waiting another year to get mine. My two cents.
      06-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
raffyg2388
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i I6

Great post. Agree on the steering and somewhat has a feel of a lexus to me. I would suggest test driving the audi s4. Has better steering feel and just a more refined and fun car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

The steering bothered me a lot when I first got the car (lack of feel) but now I'm used to it after 3 months with the car I am very happy with it, and I prefer the lighter feel when not in Sport mode. Anyone else here have the same experience?
Appreciate 0