BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #375
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
Dog Face Pony Soldier's Avatar
United_States
7781
Rep
5,823
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo View Post
I am admittedly pretty interested in the reality of this car, as my e90 328 has to wear out eventually, and I'm not excited about how much the 3 series has enlarged in its recent generations.
The size of the 3 Series is more detrimental to you than a 2 Series GC with FWD and the engine pointing the wrong direction?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #376
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
90
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Harrisburg, PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The size of the 3 Series is more detrimental to you than a 2 Series GC with FWD and the engine pointing the wrong direction?
Yeah because I've owned transverse mount engine, front drive, sporting cars before, and I'm not so stuck on such things. I have little doubt that the all-wheel drive with sport suspension will drive well. Can't get a clutch or shift lever in any of them any longer, so why keep noses pointed so high over it? I drive 8 miles to work and take my kids to school and stuff. I'd like a liftback. The F36 is a viable option right? Oh, but all anyone wants to say is how terrible the F3X chassis is. I've driven multiple flavors of it, it's still enjoyable - despite what people want to think. I have an F25, which might be the most reviled BMW ever made. I love it. I do not ever miss my E36 M3, that thing was made out of damp cardboard and pre-corroded electronics. It was enjoyable in 60-second bursts on a back road, but that was 10 years ago when I did not own two houses or a dog or have two kids and tenants and a wife or any of those things. I'm hoping for a non-bloated car with lift back and AWD - I could give zero Eff's about where the engine points. Until then, I'll drive my RWD, 6-speed E90 with it's N/A six cylinder, thank you - does that pacify your desire to judge and dismiss?
Appreciate 1
Weiman141.50

      11-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #377
recursiveDopamine
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: Prev: M5, X5M Curr: X6 50i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I'm not fond of that headlights..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:08 AM   #378
advantage20
Captain
advantage20's Avatar
France
881
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: 330d Touring Individual
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

AutoBild:


Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #379
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2308
Rep
1,467
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo View Post
I am admittedly pretty interested in the reality of this car, as my e90 328 has to wear out eventually, and I'm not excited about how much the 3 series has enlarged in its recent generations.
I promise you will not throw away the good feels of your E90 for this FWD disaster...lol. No matter how much you like the size. This isn't even a BMW. Might as well get a Mini or a better FWD car if you're gonna get this...

You can be OK with FWD but a FWD BMW is not a BMW so why even bother with paying $$ for an empty badge?
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #380
SteveinArizona
Colonel
United_States
1385
Rep
2,192
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

I just wish that BMW (and other car makers) would offer the higher finishes on the smaller cars. I like a smaller car but I also like nice finishes.

Let me purchase Nappa or Merino leather! Let us buy a leather dash. I am not asking BMW to give it to me; just let me buy it!
Appreciate 1
Remonster461.00

      12-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #381
ScottAndrew
Banned
369
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: BMW 230i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo View Post
Yeah because I've owned transverse mount engine, front drive, sporting cars before, and I'm not so stuck on such things. I have little doubt that the all-wheel drive with sport suspension will drive well. Can't get a clutch or shift lever in any of them any longer, so why keep noses pointed so high over it? I drive 8 miles to work and take my kids to school and stuff. I'd like a liftback. The F36 is a viable option right? Oh, but all anyone wants to say is how terrible the F3X chassis is. I've driven multiple flavors of it, it's still enjoyable - despite what people want to think. I have an F25, which might be the most reviled BMW ever made. I love it. I do not ever miss my E36 M3, that thing was made out of damp cardboard and pre-corroded electronics. It was enjoyable in 60-second bursts on a back road, but that was 10 years ago when I did not own two houses or a dog or have two kids and tenants and a wife or any of those things. I'm hoping for a non-bloated car with lift back and AWD - I could give zero Eff's about where the engine points. Until then, I'll drive my RWD, 6-speed E90 with it's N/A six cylinder, thank you - does that pacify your desire to judge and dismiss?
Btw this is a great post.
Appreciate 2
Cadillac125.00

      12-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #382
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
Tuxedo's Avatar
United_States
445
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 19' G01 X3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Btw this is a great post.
Itís true and both posts I agreed with... but, BMW has made a brand on being a great driver car. The amount of affection for old performers and videos the BMW and BMW classics means something to a lot of folks. The x2 and if this 2er GC becomes real shows the better mouse trap ceded to Japanís designers brought 30yrs ago to my world. Iím not watching classic Toyota or Honda videos and wishing times were Iíd owned one. Iím certain driving the f44 will be nice and all but itís just a BMW branded Japan knock-off ish.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #383
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
25115
Rep
20,152
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

January 4, 2019

Here is the latest sighting of the M235i and 228i Gran Coupe prototypes.

BMW M235i and 228i Gran Coupe Spied


__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #384
psuibmw
Colonel
psuibmw's Avatar
United_States
1513
Rep
2,242
Posts

Drives: 2017 F15/2011 F10/2008 E90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW F10 535  [4.00]
2008 BMW E90  [0.00]
Oh, Jason, you made a mistake, you posted the new Hyundai Elantra
Appreciate 1
10"2307.50

      01-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #385
RichM50d
Lieutenant
309
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i & KTM 1290
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

How do they know it’s an M235i? Bmw has replaced the 235 with the M240i, so that seems like a backward step.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #386
bimmer456
Major General
2117
Rep
5,498
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM50d View Post
How do they know it’s an M235i? Bmw has replaced the 235 with the M240i, so that seems like a backward step.
It's a high output B48 with 300hp rather than a high output B58 with 382hp, so no M40i designation.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #387
AGAV13
Captain
AGAV13's Avatar
United_States
322
Rep
898
Posts

Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT 860

iTrader: (2)

I'm still all in on a M2 Comp GC
__________________
CURRENT
2017 Boxster S ?718? (07/27/18)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon - (10/28/18)
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #388
Vucko
Private First Class
126
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: BMW 630i E63
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Srbija

iTrader: (0)

will this car be a GC version of current 2Series, or nwxt one, beacuse, if it is current series, isnt it a bit too late to launch it? i mean, new 1series will come in coming months, followed by new 2er later this year or next year, and that would mean cutting life time of this 2GC? it seems like new gen, but if it is f44, and new 2series is Gxx.. and it would be odd having new 1er limousine and 2gc as they are practically same, beacuse they are small and there is no room for changing size like 3 and 4.. it is ok with 3 and 4series, but not with 1 and 2
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #389
Kevinduma
Private
68
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: BMW M235i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vucko View Post
will this car be a GC version of current 2Series, or nwxt one, beacuse, if it is current series, isnt it a bit too late to launch it? i mean, new 1series will come in coming months, followed by new 2er later this year or next year, and that would mean cutting life time of this 2GC? it seems like new gen, but if it is f44, and new 2series is Gxx.. and it would be odd having new 1er limousine and 2gc as they are practically same, beacuse they are small and there is no room for changing size like 3 and 4.. it is ok with 3 and 4series, but not with 1 and 2
My guess is the 2 series gran coupe and coupe are two different vehicles, the gran coupe will apparently be FWD based as the coupe will remain RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #390
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
phoenixbmwlife's Avatar
United_States
1202
Rep
3,648
Posts

Drives: M235i & G30 540i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boynton Beach

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Can't wait to see the M235i GC but Careful BMW. If you make the M2 in a GC you might lose a lot of sales of the M3.
__________________
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Follow me on IG https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #391
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
7836
Rep
11,819
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfman_78 View Post
Econobox proportions, not a premium car imho. One can immediately tell this is a fwd transverse engine car. BMW, why are you doing this?
Because market share
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #392
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
7836
Rep
11,819
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Can't wait to see the M235i GC but Careful BMW. If you make the M2 in a GC you might lose a lot of sales of the M3.


Oh lord. I hope that is tongue in cheek.

Don't give them a complex. That's why they have never made a 1 Er or a 2er sedan to date.

The same reason they didn't make an E46 M3 sedan.... " afraid of cannabilization of M5 sales"
So we got the E46 ZHP.. a nice car.. a cult car even .. but only because no E46 M3 sedan.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #393
clbmw
Major
574
Rep
1,479
Posts

Drives: 320d M135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I'm sure they'll make the M performance models handle well, VW gets the Golf round corners very well. However, it won't be as good as RWD, and there are immediate differences the moment you corner under power in the FWD BMWs I've driven. I won't be buying one.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #394
vladberca
Major General
vladberca's Avatar
Romania
592
Rep
5,356
Posts

Drives: '17 jetta tdi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

iTrader: (0)

Only M235i.
Same engine from X2.
They will not put a 6 cyl engine in it, I don't see an M2 GC on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #395
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
692
Rep
309
Posts

Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

It looks like a solid alternative to the camo'd spyshots of the Mercedes CLA that just came out, at least. Hopefully BMW dresses up the interior to match.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #396
pz619
Colonel
2336
Rep
2,674
Posts

Drives: F87 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

I still maintain that FWD is Wrong Wheel Drive for a BMW. But if they make a bunch of money on this an it enables them to actually make good driver's cars, then I guess I can live with it.
Appreciate 3
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST