Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

02-29-2024, 07:06 PM   #1
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Imola Red 6MT

Cost to paint trunk?

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a CF trunk and GT4 wing in the next week, and am shopping around to get the trunk painted. The trunk was left raw for easy paintwork. I'm up in the SF Bay Area.

I've only called a few reputable shops and am pretty floored at the estimates - around $2k for trunk alone, $4500-6000 to do trunk and blend the quarter panels (not even a full respray). That seems exceedingly high to me.

That being said, I am still scarred from my last body shop experience up in Marin, so I do want to get it right this time.

My front bumper with 3 month old paint is still chipping away from that shop...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:34 AM   #2
headstart101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

A good body shop won’t have to do any blending unless the paint on the rest of the car is shot! Should be very easy to match (depending on the color).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #3
cliffordm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP Imola Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstart101 View Post
A good body shop won’t have to do any blending unless the paint on the rest of the car is shot! Should be very easy to match (depending on the color).
It's Imola red, so not the easiest color to match car spends most of its life outside so I'm sure the shade has changed slightly over the past few years.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:42 PM   #4
NWH83
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

If you're in Marin try getting a quote from Whitman's in San Rafael. They've done paint on two of my past cars and always did a fantastic job for a fair price... (unless of course that was the shop you had a bad experience with haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffordm4 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm getting a CF trunk and GT4 wing in the next week, and am shopping around to get the trunk painted. The trunk was left raw for easy paintwork. I'm up in the SF Bay Area.

I've only called a few reputable shops and am pretty floored at the estimates - around $2k for trunk alone, $4500-6000 to do trunk and blend the quarter panels (not even a full respray). That seems exceedingly high to me.

That being said, I am still scarred from my last body shop experience up in Marin, so I do want to get it right this time.

My front bumper with 3 month old paint is still chipping away from that shop...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0