E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 328i vs G37(S) (vs 335i)

09-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #89
G37wish335i
Rep
Drives: G37 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Before I bought my 335i, I test drove a G37S Coupe. The looks were nice, with the sleek curves, but the looks are up to individual taste. I knew it was basically a 370z with back seats and more comfort. When I sat in it for the first time and touched the interior pieces and materials, the first thought that came to my mind was "it feels like an Altima."

Now this is not in regards to the nice leather seats, but more related to the buttons and dash pieces. It just felt very Altima to me and was kind of a turn off.

I liked the car, I liked the side profile of it. Problem is, I had test driven my 335i right before the G, so I was already half-swayed toward the beemer. The difference in interior quality was clearly evident to me and I just loved the beemer's interior vs the G's.

I'm curious to see how the Q50 will be..
I've finally seen a Q50 on the street...the intent from my understanding is Infiniti wanted to give the G a more luxury facelift.

To your point on the G...the Altima comment did make me do a double take because I also have an Altima that I drive daily in addition to the G37.

I wouldn't doubt that Infiniti saves some money by using Nissan parts where they can...imo that's part of why you buy an Infiniti vs everything being proprietary.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #90
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37wish335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Before I bought my 335i, I test drove a G37S Coupe. The looks were nice, with the sleek curves, but the looks are up to individual taste. I knew it was basically a 370z with back seats and more comfort. When I sat in it for the first time and touched the interior pieces and materials, the first thought that came to my mind was "it feels like an Altima."

Now this is not in regards to the nice leather seats, but more related to the buttons and dash pieces. It just felt very Altima to me and was kind of a turn off.

I liked the car, I liked the side profile of it. Problem is, I had test driven my 335i right before the G, so I was already half-swayed toward the beemer. The difference in interior quality was clearly evident to me and I just loved the beemer's interior vs the G's.

I'm curious to see how the Q50 will be..
I've finally seen a Q50 on the street...the intent from my understanding is Infiniti wanted to give the G a more luxury facelift.

To your point on the G...the Altima comment did make me do a double take because I also have an Altima that I drive daily in addition to the G37.

I wouldn't doubt that Infiniti saves some money by using Nissan parts where they can...imo that's part of why you buy an Infiniti vs everything being proprietary.
This is not to take away anything from either the Altima or the G37S. Both are great cars in their respective categories. Also, the stock exhaust tone on the G37S got very old on me real quick, just sounds like a cow in pain. But sound is subject to individual taste.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #91
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37wish335i View Post
I wouldn't doubt that Infiniti saves some money by using Nissan parts where they can
No doubt there's as much crossover as they can get away with. To say "Infinity uses Nissan parts" sort of misses the point. That's like saying "BMW uses Mini parts," which is really no more accurate than saying "Mini uses BMW parts." Hell, half the electronics are made by Continental, which supplies the same kinds of parts to serve the same purposes to Mercedes and who-knows-how-many other direct and indirect competitors. Hell, most E90 328s have GM transmisisons. Bottom line, if you can get away with using a part someone else already designed and has in production, do it. So much the better if you own that someone else.

Of course, I think you mean to ask "can I drop an Altima alternator into my G37." The real question there is, how much research are you willing to do to verify that the infinity OEM branded part is the same as the Nissan?
      09-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #92
G37wish335i
Rep
Drives: G37 Base

Parts...No...I don't care that much about it to drill down that deeply.

When you consider that the 3 series bimmer has been the benchmark for any performance oriented sports sedans/coupes for the last 20+ yrs...I think the G comes pretty close to the mark...not bad for a volume car marker...er DIV of a volume car maker I should say.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #93
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

My last 3 cars have been 2002 330i, 2007 G35S Sedan, 2009 328i coupe. When my son turns 16 I will be giving him the 328 and most likely going back to Infiniti for the coupe this time.

I liked my infiniti but its no BMW. Unfortunately I can't afford the service possible problems of a 335 considering I put 25k miles a year on my cars. The 328 is a 6mt and really fun but it needs a bit more power.

Everyone should realize that the non S G cars don't feel anything like the S models do. It's a bigger difference in feel than the sport package on BMW, imo. The S coupe's have a nice exhaust note stock, nice Akebono big brakes, and they are pretty reliable.
Appreciate 0