E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is this pic of a N54? If so...spill the beans!

05-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #45
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Am I the only one thinking that the chrome metal manifold is a bad idea?
I'm curious as to how much hotter the AITs are with that manifold.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #46
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Too early to make assumptions. Fred even mentioned it is still a prototype, so the end product might could be cast. They are also using the injen where the filters are more towards the front drivers side, compared to our traditional dci.

I would too thouogh like to see what type of AITs ER is seeing.
      05-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #47
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
that badass, i would like to see some numbers compared to stock
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:43 AM   #48
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 | E30 M3 || '51 Ford F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92White View Post
I'd like to have more info on the IC..any cutting/trimming required ?
go to Evolution Racewerks.com & all the info you need on the IC is there, however, there is no cutting/trimming required

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
haha well the 17-18psi of boost was probably the biggest part of those numbers
every time i post, you have some cynical unnecessary comment to make towards me or my post, is there a reason for that? is this some kind of "JB3 vs. Vishnu" thing between us i'm not aware of?

yes, i agree, my numbers wouldn't have been achievable w/out running the boost i ran but they definitely wouldn't have been possible without my ER FMIC!!! we ran the car for about an hour, back to back pulls, a few minute break here & there but the car didn't heat soak at all throughout the entire time..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #49
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

You're taking my posts the wrong way, it was a fun jab at the most. Thus the smiley face
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #50
Sneeze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

How much gains expected on Intake Mani? 10-15?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #51
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:

I'm thinking that is not chrome
      05-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #52
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

It's probably more like polished alum or stainless.
      05-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #53
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr33fivei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
It's probably more like polished alum or stainless.
fred, please correct me if i'm wrong but in regards to HP gains i think 10-15 on the low end & the intake manifold is aluminum
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #54
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlakind View Post
fred, please correct me if i'm wrong but in regards to HP gains i think 10-15 on the low end & the intake manifold is aluminum

cant really know what that intake mani is going to produce until you upgrade to larger turbo's/turbo.
      05-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #55
nlakind
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
cant really know what that intake mani is going to produce until you upgrade to larger turbo's/turbo.
this is true, however, on stock turbos w/ a proper tune it should make some really nice gains!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #56
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
this is true, however, on stock turbos w/ a proper tune it should make some really nice gains!
that is assuming its making additional flow over the stock mani at those power levels.

I dont recall anyone posting data on this so hopefully they will.
      05-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #57
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Nice. Maybe it will keep HP climbing a little longer towards redline
      05-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #58
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

The FMIC requires cutting of a little plastic on the inside to accommodate the large size for the intercooler. It is the only way to fit anything larger than the factory intercooler and thus every intercooler upgrade in the market requires it. You do not need to cut the bumper cover at all. More info on the FMIC: http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/product.php?prodid=58

Our company is known for making intercoolers. Basically every single intercooler application we released as been known as the best. I actually spent a whole year developing this application so I'm confident on the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92White View Post
I'd like to have more info on the IC..any cutting/trimming required ?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #59
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Being able to pull lower intake air temperatures would lower the knock threshold, giving you the ability to run more boost, more timing and leaner air/fuel ratios (therefore making more power) before detonation.

Our FMIC pulls near ambient intake air temps with a very low delta. It also has a very quick recovery time. All of this will benefit in being able to push the car harder.

Quote:
HUGE bump for Evolution Racewerks!!!

I'll be posting pics of the FMIC & Carbon Fiber Engine Cover on my car by the end of this week. I HIGHLY recommend this IC, the craftsmanship is impeccable & like Fred said, I dyno'd higher than any customer on stock turbos has dyno'd to date & I can assure you this number wouldn't have been achievable w/out the FMIC
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #60
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

The intake manifold is aluminum. It is just polished. I personally not a big fan of the polishing, but we wanted people to notice the intake manifold at Bimmerfest and I guess that worked.

The original plan was the have the intake manifold anodized black like how we do our FMICs. Just like the FMIC's though, I ran outta time and could not get it to the anodizer in time.

Once this goes into production, there will be 3 finish options that will be standard: polished, brushed, and black anodized.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #61
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

As mentioned, we're still in the early stages of development so there's really nothing to report. I'm not going to make any speculations on how much horsepower gain we'll see because at this moment in time, it's just going to be a guess. We're currently working on the actual design as well as testing flow characteristics (flow benching). No actual test has been conducted other than just driving the car around as that would require actual software upgrades to run properly. You can't just stick the intake manifold on an intake pipe and expect everything to run right. The intake manifold should drastically alter how the motor ingest air and therefore changes to the fueling must be made.

I should have actual testing done on a car in early/mid June as we have one of the test cars scheduled to have software upgrades made then. During this time I will be working one the design and flow characteristics. I'm pretty adamant about spending time working on the design on trying different things in hopes of improving upon the design. There are usually many revisions as the more time I have working over the design, the more I can figure out improvements along the way.

Now as for expectations, I have high hopes this will make good power. The factory intake manifold is very compact due to limitations in space in the engine bay as well as the factory air box that sits on top of it. To get things to fit, BMW had to make quite a few compromises (though very good ones I must admit). First off, the plenum size is very small. There's really no space to get any bigger with a factory airbox in the way. With it out of the way, I can increase the plenum size considerably. Each cylinder in the motor is feed air through each runner in the intake manifold which then draws air through the plenum, which acts like a reservoir. With the factory plenum being so small, chances are this reservoir is being drained in the mid to upper rpm range which would see a drop off in power output. If this was the case, increasing the plenum size would help elevate this issue. There's also the issue of due to clearances, the outer runners (#1 & $6) have a very poor entry point and bad flow characteristics that it will get the least about of airflow to it. Again, by removal of the factory airbox, this frees up space for a better entry point for #1 and #6 cylinders. Due to the compact design of the factory unit, flow numbers on each of the cylinders varies quite a bit with #3 and #4 getting the most airflow. Granted I still have space limitations even with the factory airbox out of the way so I don't think it's possible to even out the flow completely throughout all cylinders, but I think I can get it to be more even overall. This too should yield some gains.

There are A LOT more things to it then this and I can go on forever. However, answering tons of e-mails the last few days has made my fingers hurts and I don't want to give aways all my secrets

Rest assured the final product would be worthy of the Evolution Racewerks reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr33fivei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
that badass, i would like to see some numbers compared to stock
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #62
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

That is one of the goals of the intake manifold. As with most of the product development with the 335i/135i parts, it starts with our racing program. I start by addressing needs we have while we race. Reason why I begun this project was our power output. Our peak torque hits very low (3,000 rpm). Same with peak horsepower (4,500rpm). While racing, we're never at 3,000 rpm to take advantage of our peak torque figures. If we short shift to get into that rpm range, we spin tire. I'm hoping that we can slightly shift the power band up towards the mid range rpm range while gaining both peak horsepower and torque figures while we're at it and try to keep power climbing towards redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AlpineTTSedan View Post
Nice. Maybe it will keep HP climbing a little longer towards redline
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #63
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
The intake manifold is aluminum. It is just polished. I personally not a big fan of the polishing, but we wanted people to notice the intake manifold at Bimmerfest and I guess that worked.

The original plan was the have the intake manifold anodized black like how we do our FMICs. Just like the FMIC's though, I ran outta time and could not get it to the anodizer in time.

Once this goes into production, there will be 3 finish options that will be standard: polished, brushed, and black anodized.
But wouldn't the aluminum create hotter AITs when compared to the stock?

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #64
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Good question. Hard to tell at this point unless we actually do some testing which isn't a problem later down the line.

Aluminum would transfer heat more without a doubt than plastic though plastic does transfer heat as well. The intake manifold actually floats on o-rings so there's no actual physical contact between the intake manifold and the head so a lot less heat would transfer through. It would also depend largely on how much heat transfers through the o-rings which I would would guess does a good job of insulating heat as I don't recall the intake manifold ever getting really hot.

Many factory intake manifolds are aluminum so I don't see it being a major problem. Also almost aftermarket intake manifolds are made out of aluminum. It's the only most practical way to build one. Even if there is heat transfer I don't see it increasing temperatures enough to be a problem. Remember, the intake air will still need to travel through the head which is the source of the heat so shouldn't make a big difference.

It's not really feasible to have the intake manifold built of out plastic. The plastic form mold for something as big and complicated as this would be ridiculous as well as all the development $ it would require. We're not going to sell thousands of intake manifold like OEM does cars so we'd never make our development money back let alone trying to make a profit out of it (at the end of the day, we're still a business trying to make money). I think if we were able to sell a few hundred of these, it would be considered a success.

Quote:
But wouldn't the aluminum create hotter AITs when compared to the stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 01:57 AM   #65
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Alpinettsedan just PM with a really good idea of thermal coating the intake manifold if heat transfer from the head is an issue. I wanted to give him credit as even though I am familiar with thermal coating, for some reason didn't think of it and he did.

We can do some datalogging of intake air temps later on during testing and see if there is an increase in temperature. If there is increase in temperature, we can try out thermal coating and see if it reduces temps.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #66
black335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: M 4

use gaskets such as motordyne does to block the thermal temps
Appreciate 0