BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #45
Aktavate
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
2002 911 Turbo  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I'm laughing at how many people are astonished that OP had stock bearings at 122k. Do people not understand that these cars have been around for over 10 years and a lot of people daily their cars meaning there is a probably high percentage of m3's with 100k+ miles and stock bearings since the majority of owners are not on these forums and don't change their bearings. Yes, bearing issues exist but don't bash OP for not changing the bearings lol, it's not like the rate of failure increases to 20% after a certain mileage.
If the failures are due to wear, and wear increases with use...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #46
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
You guys are getting screwed on labor in the States. I pay $800 to change rod bearings here in Malaysia, parts and labour included.
Yeah but aren’t the mosquitoes bad there?

Appreciate 1
dazzabb20.50
      06-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #47
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i really think that oil analysis is inconclusive in determining bearing wear.
      06-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #48
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Agreed.

Seemingly worthless even with a few consecutive reports.

I had one done. 32k miles on the car and everything was well below the avg range.

Bearings looked like someone took a grinder to them...
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      06-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #49
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post

What does it cost to ship an M3 over there from the US?
Appreciate 1
MahiC88.00
      06-16-2018, 11:56 PM   #50
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
You guys are getting screwed on labor in the States. I pay $800 to change rod bearings here in Malaysia, parts and labour included.
$800 for parts and labor? Ain't happening unless it's $1 for the labor. Which may be the case for all I know, but you ain't spending less than $799 on parts.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #51
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
$800 for parts and labor? Ain't happening unless it's $1 for the labor. Which may be the case for all I know, but you ain't spending less than $799 on parts.
agree ... parts alone are that much no matter what part of the country even if its a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #52
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post

Win some, lose some. 😂
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #53
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
No one here buys life insurance, right? The chance of dying prematurely is less than 1%.
Not the same thing at all. Blowing my M3's engine would cost me $14k a single time, while dying would cost my family more than that every month, yet I don't spend $2500/month on life insurance.

Believe it or not folks, spending $2500 to avoid a potential $14k repair is not good math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
I'm laughing at how many people are astonished that OP had stock bearings at 122k. Do people not understand that these cars have been around for over 10 years and a lot of people daily their cars meaning there is a probably high percentage of m3's with 100k+ miles and stock bearings since the majority of owners are not on these forums and don't change their bearings. Yes, bearing issues exist but don't bash OP for not changing the bearings lol, it's not like the rate of failure increases to 20% after a certain mileage.
It actually reminds me of the 996 forum on Rennlist--people are scared to death of the IMS bearing taking out their engine, but when you go out into the real world it's amazing how many owners have no idea what you're even referring to.

FWIW, my the IMS on my 996 blew and took out my engine, and I'm still not convinced that I should spend the money on RBs. Replaced the N20 4-cylinder in my wife's X3 last month due to timing chain problem, but that still doesn't mean it automatically makes sense to do the RBs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
Threads like this make me feel less bad about 700 per Month to lease an f80.... sorry to hear
I'd agree with you except the sound of the S65 alone is worth $700/month over the F80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbM3 View Post
I'm mostly astonished a person ON this forum would risk it well past 100K. If you've been on here any bit of time you've seen the pictures. Much like the RS4 if you can't afford $2K+ maintenance bills then maybe a V8 super saloon is not car for you.
I don't know that the E9x is a 'super saloon', but you have to remember that few members post to tell everyone their engine is OK, but every member posts when they have a problem.
      06-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #54
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Price is dictated by factors such as geographic location, demand, competition, and cost of doing business, therefore your US vs Southeast Asia post is an apples to oranges comparison.
There is no way I can walk into a shop in San Francisco and ask for the price a buddy paid for the service at a shop that is 8,000 miles away.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #55
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Not the same thing at all. Blowing my M3's engine would cost me $14k a single time, while dying would cost my family more than that every month, yet I don't spend $2500/month on life insurance.

Believe it or not folks, spending $2500 to avoid a potential $14k repair is not good math.

It actually reminds me of the 996 forum on Rennlist--people are scared to death of the IMS bearing taking out their engine, but when you go out into the real world it's amazing how many owners have no idea what you're even referring to.

FWIW, my the IMS on my 996 blew and took out my engine, and I'm still not convinced that I should spend the money on RBs. Replaced the N20 4-cylinder in my wife's X3 last month due to timing chain problem, but that still doesn't mean it automatically makes sense to do the RBs.

I'd agree with you except the sound of the S65 alone is worth $700/month over the F80.

I don't know that the E9x is a 'super saloon', but you have to remember that few members post to tell everyone their engine is OK, but every member posts when they have a problem.

I completely disagree with everything you've stated. How much was his car worth with a good engine. How much is it worth now? Based on the specs it was probably at least $20k now it worth basically nothing. So you tell me if spending $2500 isn't worth it.

Ok. So he spends $14K to put and used engine in the car. He's still going to have do the bearings. Unless he's willing to roll the dice again. What if the used engine is crap. He might get his money back but he won't get his money back on the labor to install it.

It's a moot point. He's stated that he thought it would never happen to him. Well it did. It up to each individual owner if they want to spend the money or not. He decided not to do that and he'll have to live with the consequences.

I guess I'm very risk averse.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #56
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
then how do you determine if the rod bearings are about to fail? and where is "usually" the weakest point in the rod bearings?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #57
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
then how do you determine if the rod bearings are about to fail?
You don't.
      06-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #58
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
I completely disagree with everything you've stated. How much was his car worth with a good engine. How much is it worth now? Based on the specs it was probably at least $20k now it worth basically nothing. So you tell me if spending $2500 isn't worth it.
The value of the car in running vs non-running condition isn't relevant. The only thing that matters is the $14k figure to make the car whole again.

Quote:
Ok. So he spends $14K to put and used engine in the car. He's still going to have do the bearings. Unless he's willing to roll the dice again. What if the used engine is crap. He might get his money back but he won't get his money back on the labor to install it.
Right, anything can happen to any car. What if he gets the most well cared for S65 the world has ever seen and it lasts him 300k miles?

Quote:
It's a moot point. He's stated that he thought it would never happen to him. Well it did. It up to each individual owner if they want to spend the money or not. He decided not to do that and he'll have to live with the consequences.

I guess I'm very risk averse.
And that's OK to be risk averse, but it doesn't change the math.
      06-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #59
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
then how do you determine if the rod bearings are about to fail? and where is "usually" the weakest point in the rod bearings?
I went by the vast amount of knowledge on the forums and the data collected through hundreds of motors to decide when to have the bearings pulled and replace them while that was happening. 60k seemed to be about the average but there were people pulling them at 30k with signs of wear but at the same time there are some who go as far as 100k. I decided to play it safe.

For me, the weakest point was a deep score on one of the bearings near the center.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #60
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
So what are you saying is the "math?"

Your "math" seems to make as an assumption that nothing will happen. if it does happen, your conclusion fails.

There is no right answer. You make your conclusion that because it's a 1% or whatever chance of happening it's not worth $2500. Perhaps for you it makes sense; for others it may not. It's insurance, not an investment. Too many people seem to believe that somehow if they pay into insurance they should get something back. And they would be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #61
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
The value of the car in running vs non-running condition isn't relevant. The only thing that matters is the $14k figure to make the car whole again.

Really, losing a couple thousand dollars is irrelevant?

Right, anything can happen to any car. What if he gets the most well cared for S65 the world has ever seen and it lasts him 300k miles?

Like Unicorns and Fairy Dust.

Based on you arguments people shouldn't maintain their cars. The math just doesn't work. If the engine in your car fails and you can't get to work it doesn't matter.

I doesn't matter that your car is now worth less than half what it did before engine failure.

I'm sure if he invested that $2500 he would have made $14K and could easily cover the cost of the engine. Yeah, even if he does install a used engine the value of the car has been diminished.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50
      06-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #62
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Really, losing a couple thousand dollars is irrelevant?

Like Unicorns and Fairy Dust.

Based on you arguments people shouldn't maintain their cars. The math just doesn't work. If the engine in your car fails and you can't get to work it doesn't matter.

I doesn't matter that your car is now worth less than half what it did before engine failure.

I'm sure if he invested that $2500 he would have made $14K and could easily cover the cost of the engine the deceased value of his car with a used engine. Yeah, even if he does install a used engine the value of the car has been diminished.
Technically there "could" be no diminishment. If you have 75k miles on your car and you replace the engine with a 50k mile engine then why would the value go down? Due to the perception that it's not the original motor? I'm not sure why any of us would care what S65 motor is in the car, especially one with less miles on it. The other thing is I'll bet there are many vehicles out there running with a secondary motor and the owners are not even aware. There is no Vin# on the engine. There may be a serial number of some sorts stamped on the block but I am not aware of anything that differentiates that an engine belongs to a particular car. So In theory it would be easy enough to blow an engine, swap in another one day and not say a word about it. There are no identifying markers to alert anyone that the engine wasn't born there. And again, in essence it really doesn't matter where the engine was born. All S65's were created equal. In no way am I suggesting that one should mask the fact that it's not the original motor, I only say that someone could.
Appreciate 2
PACarGuy686.50
      06-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #63
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
So what are you saying is the "math?"

Your "math" seems to make as an assumption that nothing will happen. if it does happen, your conclusion fails.

There is no right answer. You make your conclusion that because it's a 1% or whatever chance of happening it's not worth $2500. Perhaps for you it makes sense; for others it may not. It's insurance, not an investment. Too many people seem to believe that somehow if they pay into insurance they should get something back. And they would be wrong.
The math is spending $2500 to avoid the possibility of spending $14k later.

I don't disagree with you that it makes different sense to everyone, I only disagree with the notion that one just HAS to have the RBs replaced.

Quote:
Hmm, no. The vast majority of cars have probably not had the RBs replaced and probably won't experience a failure. Avoiding standard maintenance will pretty quickly result in problems in almost every car.

FWIW, I have all the maintenance done that BMW advises.

Quote:

I'm sure if he invested that $2500 he would have made $14K and could easily cover the cost of the engine. Yeah, even if he does install a used engine the value of the car has been diminished.
I don't know that replacing an engine automatically decreases the value of a car.
      06-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #64
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
The reason that the math doesn't work is that:

1. Not all M3 rod bearings are failing. In fact it is a relatively small percentage that do.

2. Replacement bearings are not failure-proof either.
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #65
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
I went by the vast amount of knowledge on the forums and the data collected through hundreds of motors to decide when to have the bearings pulled and replace them while that was happening. 60k seemed to be about the average but there were people pulling them at 30k with signs of wear but at the same time there are some who go as far as 100k. I decided to play it safe.

For me, the weakest point was a deep score on one of the bearings near the center.
If the weakest point is center of bearing then we should see that in oil analysis reports however some indicated here (including roastbeef) that oil analysis doesn't detect bearing problem and thats why I am asking where is the weak point (worst pint of clearance?)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #66
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't know that replacing an engine automatically decreases the value of a car.
It certainly can, and in my experience it has. It would at least cause a slower sale. An informed buyer would want to know why the engine was replaced (neglect? poor maintenance?) but also information about the donor car and its ownership/miles/maintenance history, who did the replacement, were new RB's installed, etc as they're now assessing details of two cars... Often as a result they'll want to negotiate a lower price. Many buyers would just keep looking to avoid a car with "stories".
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50
PACarGuy686.50