BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #45
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

A report summary I saw said he was responsive and conscious as they put him on the gurney. But that he had some type of 'arrest' on the way to the hospital. Severe shocks/impacts have been known to disrupt heart rhythm.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/red-feve...125190279.html
Quote:
"They had him on a stretcher. He said, 'Please check on my son. My son was up there by himself.' The people who carried him out reassured him. 'Sir, we'll get your son; we'll make sure he's OK,"' Ziegler said. "He had his arms swinging. He talked and was conscious. We assumed he was okay. But when you find out he's not, it's just tough."

The Rangers released a statement shortly after 10 p.m. saying Stone had died.

In a statement released a short time later, the Arlington Fire Department said Stone went into full arrest on the way to John Peter Smith Hospital.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #46
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post
A report summary I saw said he was responsive and conscious as they put him on the gurney. But that he had some type of 'arrest' on the way to the hospital. Severe shocks/impacts have been known to disrupt heart rhythm.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #47
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Thank you Moderator for deleting the brilliant "hugs for redneck" post.

That picture of the two together is brutal.
      07-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #48
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Aside from the fact I agree with you, when you buy and use a ticket to go to a sporting event, you are basically exempting the organization, park, and sponsors from personal injury liability. Though people still sue, and in order to keep these events as out of the media as possible, they usually settle.
I know you can't sign your ability away to sue in Texas.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #49
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

This is from OSHA. Not sure if the building code at that stadium adopts it or not.

1910.23(e)

"Railing, toe boards, and cover specifications."

1910.23(e)(1)

A standard railing shall consist of top rail, intermediate rail, and posts, and shall have a vertical height of 42 inches nominal from upper surface of top rail to floor, platform, runway, or ramp level. The top rail shall be smooth-surfaced throughout the length of the railing. The intermediate rail shall be approximately halfway between the top rail and the floor, platform, runway, or ramp. The ends of the rails shall not overhang the terminal posts except where such overhang does not constitute a projection hazard.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #50
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

^ Doesn't apply. I'm not saying that the rule isn't a good one, just that OSHA has no authority in this particular case. Certainly a sad case, and my heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine what the ballplayer that threw him the ball is going through right now either.

Who OSHA Covers

Private Sector Workers
Most employees in the nation come under OSHA's jurisdiction. OSHA covers private sector employers and employees in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and other U.S. jurisdictions either directly through Federal OSHA or through an OSHA-approved state program. State-run health and safety programs must be at least as effective as the Federal OSHA program. To find the contact information for the OSHA Federal or State Program office nearest you, see the Regional and Area Offices map.
State and Local Government Workers
Employees who work for state and local governments are not covered by Federal OSHA, but have OSH Act protections if they work in a state that has an OSHA-approved state program. Four additional states and one U.S. territory have OSHA approved plans that cover public sector employees only. This includes: Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, and the Virgin Islands. Private sector workers in these four states and the Virgin Islands are covered by Federal OSHA.
Federal Government Workers
Federal agencies must have a safety and health program that meet the same standards as private employers. Although OSHA does not fine federal agencies, it does monitor federal agencies and responds to workers' complaints. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is covered by OSHA.
Not covered by the OSH Act:
Self-employed;
Immediate family members of farm employers that do not employ outside employees; and
Workplace Hazards regulated by another Federal agency (for example, the Mine Safety and Health Administration, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Coast Guard).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #51
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
^ Doesn't apply. I'm not saying that the rule isn't a good one, just that OSHA has no authority in this particular case. Certainly a sad case, and my heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine what the ballplayer that threw him the ball is going through right now either.

Who OSHA Covers

Private Sector Workers
Most employees in the nation come under OSHA's jurisdiction. OSHA covers private sector employers and employees in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and other U.S. jurisdictions either directly through Federal OSHA or through an OSHA-approved state program. State-run health and safety programs must be at least as effective as the Federal OSHA program. To find the contact information for the OSHA Federal or State Program office nearest you, see the Regional and Area Offices map.
State and Local Government Workers
Employees who work for state and local governments are not covered by Federal OSHA, but have OSH Act protections if they work in a state that has an OSHA-approved state program. Four additional states and one U.S. territory have OSHA approved plans that cover public sector employees only. This includes: Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, and the Virgin Islands. Private sector workers in these four states and the Virgin Islands are covered by Federal OSHA.
Federal Government Workers
Federal agencies must have a safety and health program that meet the same standards as private employers. Although OSHA does not fine federal agencies, it does monitor federal agencies and responds to workers' complaints. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is covered by OSHA.
Not covered by the OSH Act:
Self-employed;
Immediate family members of farm employers that do not employ outside employees; and
Workplace Hazards regulated by another Federal agency (for example, the Mine Safety and Health Administration, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Coast Guard).
so if the peanut boy falls over, then it would be covered?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #52
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I know you can't sign your ability away to sue in Texas.
That's not the issue here, you can always sue someone. I could sue you right now if I wanted to. Whether or I would get anywhere is the issue...

If the family sues, all the organization has to do is point to the fine print, exempting them from liability. This is bad press, of course, and there are numerous instances of organizations reaching out and/or settling when undesirable things occur under their watch, whether they can be held legally responsible or not. Which is what I'd imagine will happen here.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #53
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ I can almost assure you Nolan Ryan will bend over backwards to help this family. He is a dying breed.
How aggressive they plan on being against the Rangers is another story.
      07-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #54
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
so if the peanut boy falls over, then it would be covered?
Actually a good question. I found this reference:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=27301

It doesn't actually clear up the peanut boy question, but an interesting read if you're into safety as a profession (I am not).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #55
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^ I can almost assure you Nolan Ryan will bend over backwards to help this family. He is a dying breed.
How aggressive they plan on being against the Rangers is another story.
i agree - he was a staple in our community where he lived for 30+ years.

he fully funded our high school baseball field where i played for 6 years.

i even ate chili cheese nachos and played tennis at his house back when i was a junior in high school.

single greatest sports related memory i have up to this date is walking into his house and putting my 16 year old eyes on his trophy case.

his wall was covered in glass with studio lights beaming off of his 500th strikeout ball, 300th win ball and his 7 no hitters.

..........autographed baseballs, cleats, bats and jerseys from Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, etc.

single greatest spectacle i have ever seen.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #56
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i agree - he was a staple in our community where he lived for 30+ years.

he fully funded our high school baseball field where i played for 6 years.

i even ate chili cheese nachos and played tennis at his house back when i was a junior in high school.

single greatest sports related memory i have up to this date is walking into his house and putting my 16 year old eyes on his trophy case.

his wall was covered in glass with studio lights beaming off of his 500th strikeout ball, 300th win ball and his 7 no hitters.

..........autographed baseballs, cleats, bats and jerseys from Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, etc.

single greatest spectacle i have ever seen.
I think Litos has a man crush on Mr. Ryan.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #57
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

I have a crush on Nolan, second greatest pitcher ever behind Cy Young. Guy was god gifted, had an arm 20 years before anyone else had. I don't know him personally so I can't sat exactly how he will handle this, but I can guarantee Josh will do something for the family, he is a great guy that just got caught up in bad things for awhile.
      07-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #58
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
I think Litos has a man crush on Mr. Ryan.
you're 100% right !!!!!!!!!!

i grew up playing on the same exact fields he did.

growing up EVERYONE tried to be like Nolan Ryan.

with every reference to someone throwing something hard it was always "throw it like Nolan Ryan".

he was raised in Alvin and lived here til his mid 40's. i graduated from the same school and everything.

people used to see him at Wal-Mart with his wife. i saw him once at the bank with my dad.

major celebrity in a small town of 19,000 people (22,000 now)

small community has a special connection with Nolan and his family - his character was molded within this small town and he will never be forgotten.

hell, he even got his awesome accent from Alvin, HAHA !!!

Nolan will make it right - like someone else said, he's the last of a dying breed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #59
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I have a crush on Nolan, second greatest pitcher ever behind Ty Cobb.
we could argue that all day, but i will say this:

no one over 3 decades was scarier on the mound than Nolan was.

from the time he left High School he was making hitters shake in their cleats.

he pitched harder and longer than anyone ever in baseball, and the way things are going, nobody will ever come close to his stats.

28 straight years in the majors throwing 96-99mph is something that won't ever go unnoticed.

he was a man's pitcher.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #60
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

i'm proud to say that i wore an Alvin All-Stars jersey about 4 or 5 times in the late 80's/early 90's

........even played on that same field

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #61
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
we could argue that all day, but i will say this:

no one over 3 decades was scarier on the mound than Nolan was.

from the time he left High School he was making hitters shake in their cleats.

he pitched harder and longer than anyone ever in baseball, and the way things are going, nobody will ever come close to his stats.

28 straight years in the majors throwing 96-99mph is something that won't ever go unnoticed.

he was a man's pitcher.
You caught my edit, I meant Cy Young. But your opinion is baised, Cy Young has a record I dont think a pitcher will ever come close to getting. Most career wins.
      07-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #62
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
You caught my edit, I meant Cy Young. But your opinion is baised, Cy Young has a record I dont think a pitcher will ever come close to getting. Most career wins.
Ty Cobb?

Collin, I am disappoint
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #63
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

NR is a good soul - has and will continue to represent the sport well

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #64
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Ty Cobb?

Collin, I am disappoint
I fixed it before you got it, Ty-Cy whatever. I knew what I was talking about, just mixed names becuase I read Ty in the Litos above post.
      07-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #65
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my opinion would be biased if i agreed that he was the second best pitcher ever.

Nolan gave up alot of runs, sometimes walked more batter than he struck out

i don't think he was a top 10 best pitcher of all time, but he was one of the most DOMINANT pitchers ever.

when he was on, he was unstoppable. unfortunately, he wasn't as on as he should have been.

he has the most walks, wild pitches and he's third in losses by any pitcher in history.

hell, he even had an OBP of .300 against him.

numbers can be misleading though because, afterall, he DID pitch for 28 years or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #66
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my opinion would be biased if i agreed that he was the second best pitcher ever.

Nolan gave up alot of runs, sometimes walked more batter than he struck out

i don't think he was a top 10 best pitcher of all time, but he was one of the most DOMINANT pitchers ever.

when he was on, he was unstoppable. unfortunately, he wasn't as on as he should have been.

he has the most walks, wild pitches and he's third in losses by any pitcher in history.

hell, hitters were hitting over .300 against him.

numbers can be misleading though because, afterall, he DID pitch for 28 years or something like that.
Numbers dont really excite me, reason why I used numbers(wins) for Cy Young is because it shows how many games he pitched a week without much rest, back when men played the game. I like Nolan for the same reason, guy used every possible ounce of energy for every pitch, every inch of extension of his stride, and one of the most flexible pitchers ever. He was a phenomenon, he changed pitching and he is why much more people throw 100 now.

Talk about greatest "pitcher"(as in ability to pitch and throw strikes) I would have to say Greg Maddux.

Lots of great pitchers that were great for other reasons.