mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post

Damn....what happened??? Please share pics man....thanks for the advice
Well to be honest...its a shame I did a stand up wheelie I was going at about 120 km/h(75 mph) in front of our shop everything was cool. I landed the wheelie and I was going to fast in a 50 km/h zone. A car came out from the other street didnt see me I braked I wiped out(My tires were done as I was a week away from storing my bike for the winter). I drove my bike home without any problems. I took my car to go see my friends and suddendly I couldnt shift went to the hospital and the result was that I broke a couple bones(shoulder-back)+my ego. After I fixed the bike drove it and the right handle broke on me( metal was stressed from previous accident) I crashed but this time nothing happened to me. Changed bike immediatly after that and since then I only track my bikes.
In 6 years of riding( 2 crashes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #24
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Well to be honest...its a shame I did a stand up wheelie I was going at about 120 km/h(75 mph) in front of our shop everything was cool. I landed the wheelie and I was going to fast in a 50 km/h zone. A car came out from the other street didnt see me I braked I wiped out(My tires were done as I was a week away from storing my bike for the winter). I drove my bike home without any problems. I took my car to go see my friends and suddendly I couldnt shift went to the hospital and the result was that I broke a couple bones(shoulder-back)+my ego. After I fixed the bike drove it and the right handle broke on me( metal was stressed from previous accident) I crashed but this time nothing happened to me. Changed bike immediatly after that and since then I only track my bikes.
In 6 years of riding( 2 crashes)
Thank God everything was ok dude....I hope you have recovered fom all the injuries you got....
Anyway, I think I'm going to follow the same direction as yours and track my bike....no public roads for me....I haven't had crash yet and I hope it stays that way.
      05-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenix View Post
Have you considered trading in the gsxr 750 for a smaller displacement bike?

The Kawasaki ninja 250r has been the default beginner bike for over a decade.
Thanks for the advice but I dont like that bike.....Anyway....I've gotten use to this bike with 750cc......If I ever were to go small....I would go for a CbR600 or a R6.
      05-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #26
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Dude....which bike is that on your sig....>?
and thanks for making fun of me.....
I was just being honest about how I feel.
No need to take whole offense to it man -- just get appropriate gear (e.g. full leathers). Sometimes, ppl need to poke fun to make others realize what they're missing. If you got full leathers, you'd still be scared on the road, but at least you know you can avoid some road rash (god forbid) if you go down.

My bike that i used to have was a yamaha R6s.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

heres what I woudl say... I've only got a sv650s... but it suits me well.

I think theres a LOT Of people that ride scooters and lot smaller bikes, and I'd venture to guess they're are a LOT less casualties there.

That being said, if anything the only benefit they have is lack of abililty to go super fast. Maybe they avoid casualties by not riding beyond their environment. I commute to work and I encounter stuff from time to time that scare me... but at the same time so long as you can get away from headons with cars or stationary objects, I dont think chances of straight up killing yourself are all that high.

Dont mean to make light of the situation, but I really think if you look at the stats, majority of it would be people driving beyond their skills, or driving beyond their environmental conditions.

I understand your worries, but I'd say if you have a reasonable bike and self control, you've got a LOT better chances. I've got no stats to back it up, but would guess most of motorcycle casualties are harleys, or bigger displacement sportbikes.

I dont care for the ninja 250r honestly... BUT if you are in the market for a slightly smaller bike thats fun... sv650... vtwin for torque etc. Search, they've had some amazing reviews.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #28
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
No need to take whole offense to it man -- just get appropriate gear (e.g. full leathers). Sometimes, ppl need to poke fun to make others realize what they're missing. If you got full leathers, you'd still be scared on the road, but at least you know you can avoid some road rash (god forbid) if you go down.

My bike that i used to have was a yamaha R6s.
I didnt take any offense

Anyway, I will get the appropriate gear but I dont think it's going to be enough to overcome my fear of someone else crashing into me. I have seen motorbike accidents (In real)where it wasnt the motorcyclist fault .....So those images have permanently been saved in my brain.
And there is another issue of climate. It's too damn hot over here. (Over 100F)....so that is another reason. I sweat like shit even after taking a ride for like half an hour.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

And may I ask, why dont you have a bike anymore???
      05-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #29
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyek View Post
heres what I woudl say... I've only got a sv650s... but it suits me well.

I think theres a LOT Of people that ride scooters and lot smaller bikes, and I'd venture to guess they're are a LOT less casualties there.

That being said, if anything the only benefit they have is lack of abililty to go super fast. Maybe they avoid casualties by not riding beyond their environment. I commute to work and I encounter stuff from time to time that scare me... but at the same time so long as you can get away from headons with cars or stationary objects, I dont think chances of straight up killing yourself are all that high.

Dont mean to make light of the situation, but I really think if you look at the stats, majority of it would be people driving beyond their skills, or driving beyond their environmental conditions.

I understand your worries, but I'd say if you have a reasonable bike and self control, you've got a LOT better chances. I've got no stats to back it up, but would guess most of motorcycle casualties are harleys, or bigger displacement sportbikes.

I dont care for the ninja 250r honestly... BUT if you are in the market for a slightly smaller bike thats fun... sv650... vtwin for torque etc. Search, they've had some amazing reviews.
Yeh, I get your point. I know you can be "safer then safe" but at the end of the day, it's still more dangerous then a car

Anyway, I love the SV650 characteristics of low end torque but it's not sold over here. If I order one over here, it could cost me alot of money even though it's cheap in USA.

I gotto admitt, it looks amazing with the fatter body.

Anyway, thanks for your input....I really appreciate it man
      05-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #30
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Here's my bike back when it was on the street. It's a track bike these days.. yes, I had to go faster. I've been riding for 5 years and been in a couple big accidents. You're right, they're not safe. That "free" feeling you're talking about is what us crazy guys chase though. Nothing holding us back I suppose. Track speeds reach 163mph in the straights (and thats only in the 600cc class with me )

05-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #31
Quick1 TO BE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i 6MT

here is a pic of me and my baby
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

couldnt find a helmet big enough.
[IMG][/IMG]
and when im not on the track (my GF)
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

taking ur bike to the track is a great idea, ull learn a lot and enjoy it more and when u decide to drive around on the streets, please wear all ur gear.

be safe

Ashraf
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #32
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Here's my bike back when it was on the street. It's a track bike these days.. yes, I had to go faster. I've been riding for 5 years and been in a couple big accidents. You're right, they're not safe. That "free" feeling you're talking about is what us crazy guys chase though. Nothing holding us back I suppose. Track speeds reach 163mph in the straights (and thats only in the 600cc class with me )
Are you being sarcastic or did all those events happen for real? Anyway, I love how your model(ZX6-R) looks but that bike needs a pro to be ridden. It's not good for starters

Anyway, if you were serious, thanks for the advice
      05-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #33
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 TO BE View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

taking ur bike to the track is a great idea, ull learn a lot and enjoy it more and when u decide to drive around on the streets, please wear all ur gear.

be safe

Ashraf
Hey man, why do you have tape on your lights? Is it something to do with tracking or...?
Anyway, thanks for your advice. I will wear my all the gear whenever I ride. And I'm sure I will learn alot on the track.
Thanks Ashraf
      05-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #34
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

I rode a CBR 600 for 10 years before I had kids. A gixxer as a first bike is alot of power. IMO you ride with leathers, gloves, full helmet or you don't ride. If its 90 degrees out I didn't ride (too hot for me) if it rained or was a good chance of rain I didn't ride. You also need your head on a swivel when ridinging as you have no defense except your speed and agility.

Bikes are great fun, that gixxer will outrun a Z06, 911, etc and you are all out there in the open, its a huge rush. You just need to be responsible.

I miss my bike...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #35
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Dress for the crash. No matter how hot it is, you have to be prepared and dressed as if your were going to have a crash. Race boots, full leathers (with back protector), helmet and quality gloves should be on before you throw a leg over a sport bike.

I had a CBR 600 F4i. I sold my bike back in '05 when two of my friends in full protective gear died while riding one moth apart. Too many variables you can't control, and the risk/reward was just too great.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #36
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you being sarcastic or did all those events happen for real? Anyway, I love how your model(ZX6-R) looks but that bike needs a pro to be ridden. It's not good for starters

Anyway, if you were serious, thanks for the advice
I'm for real. I've been in two major accidents on the street; 1) woman flipped a Uturn on me & 2) Went into the side of a mountain (literally). I got too fast for the street so started doing track and my of myyy 157-163mph is what I see by the end of the straight. I would DEFINITELY not advise my bike for a beginner, but there are plenty of dumb newbiess out there who ride them anyhow. They're what throw up the fatality rate

I'd advise getting yourself a smaller displacement bike first (a 400,500, or older 600). You'll be able to learn and not scare the crap out of yourself. Guys pick up big-boy bikes for experienced riders because they're cool and then scare themselves into not using the bike properly. It just takes time and miles on the road. Your Gixxer is a big-boy bike which requires very subtle wrist movements. They're no joke, 0-100mph in 4.7seconds, and they will hurt you if not careful. Spent plenty of time on my buddies.

Quote:
Hey man, why do you have tape on your lights? Is it something to do with tracking or...?
If you have headlights/taillights on the track you're required to tape over them. That's why my ZX6-R now has race plastics & no lights. My bike looks like this now:

Last edited by Spec 1; 05-14-2009 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #37
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
I didnt take any offense

Anyway, I will get the appropriate gear but I dont think it's going to be enough to overcome my fear of someone else crashing into me. I have seen motorbike accidents (In real)where it wasnt the motorcyclist fault .....So those images have permanently been saved in my brain.
And there is another issue of climate. It's too damn hot over here. (Over 100F)....so that is another reason. I sweat like shit even after taking a ride for like half an hour.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.

And may I ask, why dont you have a bike anymore???
Yea man, I hear you on the heat. However, there are a ton of "breatheable" gear. You should look into it.

As for the fear of other motorists hitting you, i get you. I always had old ladies and sh!t swerve into my lane because they didn't see me, then give a dumbass "whoops" didn't see you gesture... it's frustrating (and wholly scary). In that case, look for a LOUD ASS exhaust. I put a Yoshimura pipe on my R6S and it screamed... ever since then, everyone knew where I was and it just seemed a whole lot safer (just a thought).

I had to get rid of my bike due to financial reasons... It was quite possibly one of the best times of my life, and I hope to get on one again some day.

As for you, gear up, ride safe, and enjoy the ride. Those GXRS aren't toys!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #38
Quick1 TO BE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

when you ride the track you have to prep your bike according to ur level of riding, (begginer, intermediate, expert), i ride intermediate so i have to safety wire my oil cap my oil drain nut, change my anti freeze to only water, safety wire the brakes and other little bits and pieces. the saftey wireing is so that no spillage occure while riding and the taping of the headlight so that if u crash the glass wouldnt shatter everywhere and the anti freeze is slippery so if u crash its a pain to clean up so water is better and no major delays for clean up.

just take it as you go and learn the sience behind riding on the track. i know it sounds retarded but trust me everything works the way it works cuz we humans designed it like that. suspension, brakes, throttle, traction, body position, line of sight and the list goes on and on..

so again have fun and hope to see pics of you on the track.

Ash
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #39
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quick1 TO BE

I love your widow maker LOL my friend has one of those TL1000R I used to swap bike with him all the time. The thing is uber loud with his yoshimura exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #40
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
I rode a CBR 600 for 10 years before I had kids. A gixxer as a first bike is alot of power. IMO you ride with leathers, gloves, full helmet or you don't ride. If its 90 degrees out I didn't ride (too hot for me) if it rained or was a good chance of rain I didn't ride. You also need your head on a swivel when ridinging as you have no defense except your speed and agility.

Bikes are great fun, that gixxer will outrun a Z06, 911, etc and you are all out there in the open, its a huge rush. You just need to be responsible.

I miss my bike...
Thanks for the advice....I dont ride my bike that often because the weather just doesnt support me.

And I dunno if it will outrun a Zo6....Actually I dont want to find out

And also, I think I'm also going to join "I miss my bike" club in a while...I love this death machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Dress for the crash. No matter how hot it is, you have to be prepared and dressed as if your were going to have a crash. Race boots, full leathers (with back protector), helmet and quality gloves should be on before you throw a leg over a sport bike.

I had a CBR 600 F4i. I sold my bike back in '05 when two of my friends in full protective gear died while riding one moth apart. Too many variables you can't control, and the risk/reward was just too great.
Damn....I'm sorry about your friends. I dunno how you must be feeling man.

And, thanks for the advice....I will leather up to the full

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Yea man, I hear you on the heat. However, there are a ton of "breatheable" gear. You should look into it.

As for the fear of other motorists hitting you, i get you. I always had old ladies and sh!t swerve into my lane because they didn't see me, then give a dumbass "whoops" didn't see you gesture... it's frustrating (and wholly scary). In that case, look for a LOUD ASS exhaust. I put a Yoshimura pipe on my R6S and it screamed... ever since then, everyone knew where I was and it just seemed a whole lot safer (just a thought).

I had to get rid of my bike due to financial reasons... It was quite possibly one of the best times of my life, and I hope to get on one again some day.

As for you, gear up, ride safe, and enjoy the ride. Those GXRS aren't toys!
I hear you man. I already have a Akrapovic exhaust on that is so loud, it scares people to change lane in front of me. Thank God for that.

Anyway, thanks for the advice again
      05-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #41
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
I'm for real. I've been in two major accidents on the street; 1) woman flipped a Uturn on me & 2) Went into the side of a mountain (literally). I got too fast for the street so started doing track and my of myyy 157-163mph is what I see by the end of the straight. I would DEFINITELY not advise my bike for a beginner, but there are plenty of dumb newbiess out there who ride them anyhow. They're what throw up the fatality rate

I'd advise getting yourself a smaller displacement bike first (a 400,500, or older 600). You'll be able to learn and not scare the crap out of yourself. Guys pick up big-boy bikes for experienced riders because they're cool and then scare themselves into not using the bike properly. It just takes time and miles on the road. Your Gixxer is a big-boy bike which requires very subtle wrist movements. They're no joke, 0-100mph in 4.7seconds, and they will hurt you if not careful. Spent plenty of time on my buddies.

If you have headlights/taillights on the track you're required to tape over them. That's why my ZX6-R now has race plastics & no lights. My bike looks like this now:
Dude....sorry for doubting man. You can't call sarcasm on these forums as you cant see emotions over here.

About the accidents, thank god your ok....Some people just dont recover or just die after a minor accident. And those accidents you have mentioned are scaryyyyyyy

About the taping, after reading your explanation, I feel like saying a Big ''DUH'' to myself . Thanks man, I should have figured it out on my own. I forgot that the bike lights stay on. And, I dont think I'm going to reach 100mph in 4.7sec sometime early.
And about my bike, I'm definitely going to sell it and maybe get a smaller displacement for track duty

Anyway, thanks for your advice dude. Ride safe.

Quote:
when you ride the track you have to prep your bike according to ur level of riding, (begginer, intermediate, expert), i ride intermediate so i have to safety wire my oil cap my oil drain nut, change my anti freeze to only water, safety wire the brakes and other little bits and pieces. the saftey wireing is so that no spillage occure while riding and the taping of the headlight so that if u crash the glass wouldnt shatter everywhere and the anti freeze is slippery so if u crash its a pain to clean up so water is better and no major delays for clean up.

just take it as you go and learn the sience behind riding on the track. i know it sounds retarded but trust me everything works the way it works cuz we humans designed it like that. suspension, brakes, throttle, traction, body position, line of sight and the list goes on and on..

so again have fun and hope to see pics of you on the track.

Ash
Damn, there is so much to learn. Big help man......Thanks alot bro....ride safe.
      05-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #42
Quick1 TO BE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Quick1 TO BE

I love your widow maker LOL my friend has one of those TL1000R I used to swap bike with him all the time. The thing is uber loud with his yoshimura exhaust.
HAHAHA, yeah the widow maker is a great bike, kinda has a mind of its own and def a huge head turner. the sound and the looks are just very very different from any other I4 sport bikes. its a dinasour compared to the newer bikes but its still has a soul that i cant seem to find with any other bike. im planning to go with a ducati 1198 or the new 1000RR BMW bike in white as my next bike. gotta see the BMW in person first.

you know why they called it the widow maker???

OBI_agent,
i recommend u reading a book called Twist of the wrist 2 by Keith Code. if u cant find it in Dubai ill ship one to u. it helps u understand the science of riding a bike and it makes things seem very straight forward.

Ash
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #43
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OBI_agent,
i recommend u reading a book called Twist of the wrist 2 by Keith Code. if u cant find it in Dubai ill ship one to u. it helps u understand the science of riding a bike and it makes things seem very straight forward.

Ash
This is a good book with a lot of positive information for beginners and even intermediates.
      05-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #44
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:

OBI_agent,

Ash
Thanks for the advice.....I will surely look into finding this book.....And dont worry.....there are loads of bookshops and libraries over here so....Inshalla I will.