BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Rear turn signal intermittent fault - common?

03-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #23
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Mine have not failed yet but when they do, I will tear it down and compare to a new unit and see if the issue is something that can be fixed via a modification to the PCB in the housing.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #24
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

There is also this other thread for info:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1925029

My summary:

Both of my rear turn signals have been giving me errors since I bought the car (used) 2 years ago.
I have unplugged them, cleaned them, the connectors look brand new, and there is no water or condensation anywhere so that's not the issue. I have done properly all the recommended LED coding to remove the bulb check with Bimmercode and it worked for some time, but the problem still comes back. My only fix right now is to tap the tail lights and they start working again.

I'm fed up with it so I decided to bite the bullet and buy two new tail lights to see how long the new ones last without errors. There are many reports in the forum that even when the tail lights are replaced, some months later they start having the fault again. Some people reported having 3 straight replacements under warranty from the dealer. I hope this is not my case, but if the error comes back I guess I will get some aftermarket tail lights because apparently there is no real fix to this. Looks like it's luck if you get faulty headlights or not. Another user was also reporting about replacing the REM module, but it seems unlikely that is the issue since there are no other faults and tapping temporarily fixes the tail lights.

The only aftermarket tail light that I find online is those kind of ugly GTS copy OLED ones which I don't like. But if nothing else works I might end up buying those later when the new ones fail again. Does anyone know if the aftermarket tail lights don't have this problem? Because I'm thinking this could be some kind of wiring issue or something that ends up damaging the tail lights somehow?

I'm kind of pissed because finally I bought a semi new car (2020 year with only 5,000 Kms) and already I had to replace the stupid Harman Kardon amp which was failing and now both tail lights. I can't believe BMW still can't fix all these electrical issues in every damn car. I'm also suspecting maybe the amp failure made the tail lights fail or there is some connection between both of them? Maybe we should do a poll to see if people that have the tail light problem had the amp failure too? For reference this is about the amp failure: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=14

Last edited by pablom2c; 03-24-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 04:07 PM   #25
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablom2c View Post

My summary:

Both of my rear turn signals have been giving me errors since I bought the car (used) 2 years ago.
I have unplugged them, cleaned them, the connectors look brand new, and there is no water or condensation anywhere so that's not the issue. I have done properly all the recommended LED coding to remove the bulb check with Bimmercode and it worked for some time, but problem comes back. My only fix right now is to tap the tail lights and they start working again.

I'm fed up with it so I decided to bite the bullet and buy two new tail lights to see how long the new ones last without errors. There are many reports in the forum that even when the tail lights are replaced, some months later they start having the fault again. Some people reported having 3 straight replacements under warranty from the dealer. I hope this is not my case, but if the error comes back I guess I will get some aftermarket tail lights because apparently there is no real fix to this. Looks like it's luck if you get faulty headlights or not. Another user was also reporting about replacing the REM module, but it seems unlikely that is the issue since there are no other faults and tapping temporarily fixes the tail lights.

The only aftermarket tail light that I find online is those kind of ugly GTS copy OLED ones which I don't like. But if nothing else works I might end up buying those later when the new ones fail again. Does anyone know if the aftermarket tail lights don't have this problem? Because I'm thinking this could be some kind of wiring issue or something that ends up damaging the tail lights somehow?

I'm kind of pissed because finally I bought a semi new car (2020 year with only 5,000 Kms) and already I had to replace the stupid Harman Kardon amp which was failing and now both tail lights. I can't believe BMW still can't fix all these electrical issues in every damn car. I'm also suspecting maybe the amp failure made the tail lights fail or there is some connection between both of them? Maybe we should do a poll to see if people that have the tail light problem had the amp failure too? For reference this is about the amp failure: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=14
Are your windows tinted? Fluid leak from tinting is the most common killer of the AMP. I have not heard any relationship between amp failures and turn signal failures.
      03-23-2023, 04:10 PM   #26
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablom2c View Post

My summary:

I have unplugged them, cleaned them, the connectors look brand new, and there is no water or condensation anywhere so that's not the issue. I have done properly all the recommended LED coding to remove the bulb check with Bimmercode and it worked for some time, but problem comes back. My only fix right now is to tap the tail lights and they start working again.

The amp failure is 99% caused by water ingress. I don't think it's related.
Appreciate 1
DanG10845.00
      03-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #27
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Are your windows tinted? Fluid leak from tinting is the most common killer of the AMP. I have not heard any relationship between amp failures and turn signal failures.
No tint here. I also made sure to check for water when replacing the amp everywhere and there were no traces of water or anything. Everything looks perfectly clean and new.
chris7197392.00
      03-24-2023, 03:54 AM   #28
APH
Australia
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Had this issue occur for the first time on my car today (May 19 build)... It was fine 5 minutes later and then fine later in the day so will now see how often it happens... sigh
      03-24-2023, 07:22 AM   #29
thenwood
Rep
Drives: M2c

ive been dealing with this one for a long time. mostly in the summer months, but i havnt really found the correlation yet. Read that some say it happens in wet conditions etc.

Sometimes ill get it that both sides go out at the same time which is just down right dangerous on the autobahn.

If it gets bad this summer ill try the coding solution, i guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 10:33 AM   #30
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I have a 2019 M2c. I got this error recently a few times within the last 2 months.

My car is out of warranty but seems like the tail light assembly is not that hard to fix.

Coding the warning wont work since the problem will still be there but you wont get a warning message...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 03:50 AM   #31
thenwood
Rep
Drives: M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I have a 2019 M2c. I got this error recently a few times within the last 2 months.

My car is out of warranty but seems like the tail light assembly is not that hard to fix.

Coding the warning wont work since the problem will still be there but you wont get a warning message...
The long threads of people arguing about the coding method are exhausting.
Which fix method are you going for? replacement or a DIY route?
Appreciate 1
jefe2000785.00
      04-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #32
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I've now tried bending the contact pins on the tail light assembly, just a little with tweezers, so they make a tighter contact in the female connector receptacle, I've heard some having success with this.

Mines one of the car's that I could fix for a few days by hitting the tail light.

Well see how it goes from here.
Appreciate 4
jefe2000785.00
Kikuchiyo125.00
CSBM52756.00
AUSf222692.50
      04-02-2023, 09:59 AM   #33
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I've now tried bending the contact pins on the tail light assembly, just a little with tweezers, so they make a tighter contact in the female connector receptacle, I've heard some having success with this.

Mines one of the car's that I could fix for a few days by hitting the tail light.

Well see how it goes from here.
The Jeremy Clarkson way sometimes does the trick !
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 02:02 PM   #34
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
The Jeremy Clarkson way sometimes does the trick !
Lol, i think Jezza would hit it with a lump hammer or drive it off a cliff...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 11:20 PM   #35
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwood View Post
The long threads of people arguing about the coding method are exhausting.
Which fix method are you going for? replacement or a DIY route?
I will buy a new headlight assembly.

But first I will take out the taillight and inspect the electrical pins. Warning doesn’t come on that much. Once every 6 drive or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #36
10SecGG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G82 X-Drive,

Ok, I noticed something today... I've been driving my car quite a bit here lately because I've been dataloging a new tune. What I've noticed recently is, when I do a soft signal (push lever down just before it fully engages the turn signal) it'll fault almost every time I do it on the left side, always.

Today, I decided I'd try to activate the turn signal each time I turned left, as opposed to the soft signal... It corrected the problem almost without fail. 99% of the rest of the drive, no faults. I went to see my service rep at the dealer, and had this conversation with him. He didn't have much to say regarding my "fix" but he did inform me that the problem was rampant with 2 series BMW's that BMW decided to add an additional 10 year unlimited mile warranty repair on these turn signal housing issues.

I originally thought they replaced my assembly, but they only verified the fault, and checked for ground issues... Yeeeeeah, that didn't fix it obviously! Anyway, tell your rep if he doesn't know about this from BMW, to look it up. Hope this helps anyone having issues.
Appreciate 4
CSBM52756.00
Enabled1424.00
Kikuchiyo125.00
jefe2000785.00
      04-19-2023, 06:17 PM   #37
5150d
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Still in 4 year warranty so they checked my computer and I had 19 faults for this REAR Left Turn Signal. They then checked and the connectors were fine. The dealer replaced the entire housing for no charge under warranty.
Appreciate 2
10SecGG508.50
CSBM52756.00
      04-19-2023, 09:43 PM   #38
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
I went to see my service rep at the dealer, … he did inform me that the problem was rampant with 2 series BMW's that BMW decided to add an additional 10 year unlimited mile warranty repair on these turn signal housing issues.
Very interesting. With other manufacturers’ vehicles I’ve owned, there’s often a TSB or letter mailed to owners to communicate the additional warranty. Is this how BMW communicates this type of thing as well, or is it more often left to hallways conversations with dealer service advisors?
Appreciate 1
5150d95.50
      04-19-2023, 10:18 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
Very interesting. With other manufacturers’ vehicles I’ve owned, there’s often a TSB or letter mailed to owners to communicate the additional warranty. Is this how BMW communicates this type of thing as well, or is it more often left to hallways conversations with dealer service advisors?
BMW likes to keep it quiet until they can't. I figure they sell very few F22/F87 and not enough people have complained or filed a complaint with NHTSA. These are indicators, so they would investigate if they they received enough reports. If it was on a Toyota it would have already been recalled.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 11:56 AM   #40
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Just to provide an update on both of my faulty rear turn signal indicators, I have now received and installed both new rear tail lights and now both indicators work correctly, let's see how long they last...
      04-26-2023, 07:51 PM   #41
daap1193
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2C sunset orange

Just code out led monitoring function of my car and forget about it, they will fail for ever and keep the car going to the dealer, at the end no bmw owner uses turn signals so theres no much to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:15 AM   #42
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10SecGG View Post
Ok, I noticed something today... I've been driving my car quite a bit here lately because I've been dataloging a new tune. What I've noticed recently is, when I do a soft signal (push lever down just before it fully engages the turn signal) it'll fault almost every time I do it on the left side, always.

Today, I decided I'd try to activate the turn signal each time I turned left, as opposed to the soft signal... It corrected the problem almost without fail. 99% of the rest of the drive, no faults. I went to see my service rep at the dealer, and had this conversation with him. He didn't have much to say regarding my "fix" but he did inform me that the problem was rampant with 2 series BMW's that BMW decided to add an additional 10 year unlimited mile warranty repair on these turn signal housing issues.

I originally thought they replaced my assembly, but they only verified the fault, and checked for ground issues... Yeeeeeah, that didn't fix it obviously! Anyway, tell your rep if he doesn't know about this from BMW, to look it up. Hope this helps anyone having issues.
Which Texas dealer was this? Curious of the 10 year extension.

I just bought one left tail light on my own and installed it for this.

As tempting as coding out the bulb check is, I don't believe it's a fix. It would then never warn if it truly burned out/cracked solder, etc.

Maybe I should cut my original tail light and look at the LED circuits? It seems too nice to break.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 01:58 PM   #43
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Maybe I should cut my original tail light and look at the LED circuits? It seems too nice to break.
Can you get the PCB out without damaging the housing? When mine fails I had planned to tear a new one and an old one apart to figure out what is going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 02:29 PM   #44
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Nope, the housing is bonded together to the red lens and the PCB is buried inside. It looks like some sort of glue/melt bonding.

There are screws, but they don't do anything until the red lens is taken off. It looks like it would break.

Question, is the failure more common on the light red vs. the "black line" red lens? (There's just a little difference between them, but mine had the lighter ones, which look nice on Alpine White)
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0