F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Any quick wins to improve ride quality?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-24-2020, 11:30 AM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
A couple of comments...

For the steering improvement that you are talking about, it is the upper control arms (which often appear to be lower in diagrams!), also called thrust arms or tension struts.

Farkle! provided great info. Read his posts. I'm having a new manufacturer install thrust arm monoballs on my F30 xDrive next week to be followed by testing with some friends. I'd expect a video after that.

M3/M4 thrust arms can NOT be installed on an F30 xDrive! It will break the front axle! See Kies Motorsports video.

Thanks for this.
I will look forward to your write up of the monoballs. If you have any part numbers and supplier details I'd be very grateful.
From your earlier post it sounds like you have a F3x xDrive. Read Farkle! posts about K-MAC monoballs for xDrive. I'm checking out the ones from VAC Motorsports (which aren't on their website yet). They are fabricating them for me. I live nearby so they are installing them too (next week). I'll take a lot of photos.

I don't have my notes in front of me but key difference is that K-MAC's version adds more potential alignment adjustment. VAC's that I'm getting are stock in terms of alignment.

I'm not a tracker. My interest is in steering improvement for a daily driver. Everyone says that thrust arm monoballs improve steering precision and feel. I'm hoping that it doesn't add NVH, Noise-Vibration-Harshness. Anxious to find out!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #24
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaton88 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks chaps, I've just pulled the trigger on 4 new MPS4S to be fitted at my local ATS via BlackCircles next Thursday.

Came in at £632.80 (including a 5% per tyre promo code I found on Google).

My current Bridgestones from factory have practically no wear on them, am I able to sell them on or is that a waste of time? Has anyone ever done this?
MPS4S are incredible! Remarkable how they grip the curves in dry and in wet.

I don't recall if you said if your stock size is 225/45-18. If so, you have the opportunity to upgrade your size at the same time.

235/45-18 are better handling and comfort than stock.

245/45-18 have better handling and the best comfort. Plus they fill up tire/fender gap more providing a lowered appearance

245/40-18 provide the best handling. I have MPS4S in this size on my car. I was surprised to find that the comfort on rough potholed roads was fantastic. Made the old runflats seem like old wooden wagon wheels!

The MPS4S are a summer tire compound so they should be removed when air temperatures get down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit and replaced for winter with all seasons like the old runflats or with dedicated winter tires.

I have winter Michelin X-ICE Xi3. They amaze me as you can feel the rubber getting softer as the temperature drops and the tread handles ice like it's dry road.

For those who don't want to deal with swapping tires the Michelin All Season A/S 3+ is an excellent choice. I researched all three tire types separately and Michelin happened to win all three for my driving, climate and road conditions. TireRack website is a great resource.
Stock sizes:

225/40 R19 Y front
225/35 R19 Y rear

I have 15mm spacers on the rear so don't think I'd want to go any wider but could have been tempted with the fronts had I of known you can go up in size. I could probably amend my order but happy to stick with factory sizes for now
I assume that's a typo and you have 225 front and 255 rear. I'd stick with those
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #25
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks chaps, I've just pulled the trigger on 4 new MPS4S to be fitted at my local ATS via BlackCircles next Thursday.

Came in at £632.80 (including a 5% per tyre promo code I found on Google).

My current Bridgestones from factory have practically no wear on them, am I able to sell them on or is that a waste of time? Has anyone ever done this?
MPS4S are incredible! Remarkable how they grip the curves in dry and in wet.

I don't recall if you said if your stock size is 225/45-18. If so, you have the opportunity to upgrade your size at the same time.

235/45-18 are better handling and comfort than stock.

245/45-18 have better handling and the best comfort. Plus they fill up tire/fender gap more providing a lowered appearance

245/40-18 provide the best handling. I have MPS4S in this size on my car. I was surprised to find that the comfort on rough potholed roads was fantastic. Made the old runflats seem like old wooden wagon wheels!

The MPS4S are a summer tire compound so they should be removed when air temperatures get down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit and replaced for winter with all seasons like the old runflats or with dedicated winter tires.

I have winter Michelin X-ICE Xi3. They amaze me as you can feel the rubber getting softer as the temperature drops and the tread handles ice like it's dry road.

For those who don't want to deal with swapping tires the Michelin All Season A/S 3+ is an excellent choice. I researched all three tire types separately and Michelin happened to win all three for my driving, climate and road conditions. TireRack website is a great resource.
Stock sizes:

225/40 R19 Y front
225/35 R19 Y rear

I have 15mm spacers on the rear so don't think I'd want to go any wider but could have been tempted with the fronts had I of known you can go up in size. I could probably amend my order but happy to stick with factory sizes for now
I assume that's a typo and you have 225 front and 255 rear. I'd stick with those
Yes mate sorry 255/35 rear
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #26
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
Quote:
Please say a bit more? Like price and benefits and do they fit X drive? I've done acs springs and dampers and mp4s.
thanks
XDrive... you will want to follow FaRKle! He's got an XDrive too.

But for control arms...
So the stock ones are like one...

[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....EL._SX425_.jpg[/IMG]

The big part of the lollipop shape is nearly 1 solid inch of rubber around a mounting shaft. It's great for a compliant ride, but makes for REALLY vague turn in response and cornering.

With the M4 and other monoball style control arms. They reduce that rubber surround and instead of a shaft, they put a rotating mono-ball bearing. So the bearing handles the turning versus the rubber.

So what you get is a much more precise turn-in and way better feedback when you corner.

The CON is ride quality. Less rubber to dampen bumps means well... more bumps that you feel.

So before you do this, find someone with a monoball or an M3/M4 owner. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I went with the Turner Monoball, runs about $550 a set and about 2+ hours to install for the X. RWD is like 45min.

If I had to do it again, I'd lean toward the M3/M4 ones for $435 ish.

[ EDIT ] Apologize!!! Thanks for catching that guys! The M3/M4 control arms won't work with the X Drive.
In fact, the XDrive has some suspension geometry considerations versus my RWD car.

But if you want to do some reading, Turner does a nice job of explaining things...

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-monoball_guide

Nice video from Turner on Monoball tech...

you just cost me many hours reading through farkles posts. loved his efforts and write ups.
There should be a link to donate like in other popular websites and i would have
Appreciate 1
exE36M3491.00
      02-25-2020, 03:06 AM   #27
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

Quote:
From your earlier post it sounds like you have a F3x xDrive. Read Farkle! posts about K-MAC monoballs for xDrive. I'm checking out the ones from VAC Motorsports (which aren't on their website yet). They are fabricating them for me. I live nearby so they are installing them too (next week). I'll take a lot of photos.

I don't have my notes in front of me but key difference is that K-MAC's version adds more potential alignment adjustment. VAC's that I'm getting are stock in terms of alignment.

I'm not a tracker. My interest is in steering improvement for a daily driver. Everyone says that thrust arm monoballs improve steering precision and feel. I'm hoping that it doesn't add NVH, Noise-Vibration-Harshness. Anxious to find out!
Yes I have an F31 335d xdrive. I will seek out Farkle! and read up. However the adjutments ability that there is on his does not appeal to me so I am leaning more to VAC for the stock alignment. My car is in warranty til June so I wont be doing anything til then. So I am keen to see how yours turns out.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I have an F31 335d xdrive. I will seek out Farkle! and read up. However the adjutments ability that there is on his does not appeal to me so I am leaning more to VAC for the stock alignment. My car is in warranty til June so I wont be doing anything til then. So I am keen to see how yours turns out.
Cool! Remember as Farkle! pointed out, just because K-MAC has the adjustment capability doesn't mean that you can't leave it at the stock setting. I'm anxious to check out the VAC too. They are doing an alignment with the installation next week so I can immediately start playing with it on my drive home.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #29
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

KRS_SN Ah the car life right? :P
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00
      02-26-2020, 05:36 AM   #30
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
KRS_SN Ah the car life right? :P
lol.
just want to keep modding as each mod makes me happy but 1-2 months later unhappy again. mrs not happy at all. upgrading sway bars and control arms next on my list just need more money
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #31
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
lol.
just want to keep modding as each mod makes me happy but 1-2 months later unhappy again. mrs not happy at all. upgrading sway bars and control arms next on my list just need more money
This rings a bell!

I am in and 335d xdrive with ACS springs and dampers.
I have a twin pipe exhaust and 15mm rear ARB in the garage ready to fit in June and am I now looking in to control arm mods. Either the K-MAC or VAC options.
If I am having to drop the rear sub frame for the ARB is there anything else to consider while its in bits at the back?
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00
      02-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #32
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
lol.
This rings a bell!

I am in and 335d xdrive with ACS springs and dampers.
I have a twin pipe exhaust and 15mm rear ARB in the garage ready to fit in June and am I now looking in to control arm mods. Either the K-MAC or VAC options.
If I am having to drop the rear sub frame for the ARB is there anything else to consider while its in bits at the back?
hi flash you are ahead of the game compared to me. Im thinking of stopping at just the b8 ACS combo enda worry that sway bar changes etc might induce instability especially as i have 3 kids in the rear and the current setup is brilliant for stability comfort and grip.
That doesn't mean i am happy and i keep dreaming about further mods duch as sway bar and control arms but i think i love my kids a wee bit more than my car
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:01 AM   #33
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

I have a teen-ager and this reduced comfort is a concern. I have not heard that the ARB gives instability? I was drawn to the ARB due to reports that it gives reduced understeer. what gives you thought that it increases instability? I've not picked up that it gives reduced comfort?
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00
      02-29-2020, 10:32 AM   #34
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
For anyone still interested I have had the PS4S fitted and they have transformed the car in regards to handling, comfort, road noise in the cabin and grip.
Attached Images

Last edited by breathe3asy; 03-02-2020 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:32 PM   #35
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
I have a teen-ager and this reduced comfort is a concern. I have not heard that the ARB gives instability? I was drawn to the ARB due to reports that it gives reduced understeer. what gives you thought that it increases instability? I've not picked up that it gives reduced comfort?
im rather happy with the current setup. no surprises. no instability
this thread got me a bit worried. There is definitely a tendency to oversteer wirh current setup and worry it will get into a red zone with thicker front arb.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1027405&page=3
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #36
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
im rather happy with the current setup. no surprises. no instability
this thread got me a bit worried. There is definitely a tendency to oversteer wirh current setup and worry it will get into a red zone with thicker front arb.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...405&page=3
Ah that makes sense. I'm only thinking of doing the rear ARB. going from the standard 12mm diameter to the 15mm one that comes off a a M140i. these guys are talki g about 28mm. that's very manly!
Appreciate 0