BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

No space, 2 car drive, no space in garage, as where doing a garage reno, in my neck of the woods, I'd get a ticket if my car is parked on the road opposite my house.

Also, there's no guarantee I can sell the car, in a specific time, with a vert, in September now running into 6 months of winter, demand is going to be low, so the feeling is I'd have to dump it for a very low price.

I'm not necessarily after a premium price, just a fair one and to offset the new car.

Then you have the hassle of selling privately but also the trade-in lowers the tax of the new car,

BUT, I do hear and understand your reply

txs man

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Why wouldn't you just buy the new car and then sell your old one privately afterwards? This is what I have always done and it eliminated the 'without a car' issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #24
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Hey David,

and txs, I didn't really negotiate as I wasn't actually going to buy, it was more of a recon on the dealer, seeing the car and getting a ballpark.

My concern was the trade-in vs private

Of course I understand nothing is set in stone, but I wanted to see if they where going to low-ball me, "if" they said, listen, I can't give you ,more than 10k, I know that privately I def get more. THAT was more the purpose of the visit and also to get me some practice with talking to sales, since the last time I bought a car.

Now I know that car has sat there for a few months and not moved, so I can really knock him down.

And sure I understand, no-one made a commitment, If I went back and all things told, he say's "well I know we said $20k, but we can only give you 10", that's not an issue, because I'll walk, I have a car and I can take my time.

I didn't agree with the price, after getting a written quote, so, he ran a quote of the car, plus all fees, tax's, less 20k , on finance and cash, so that's pretty committed?

And as I didn't say anything either way, other than, I'll need to think on it and talk to my wife, he then gave the old, if you come back to me we can do something for you at the end of the month for sure on the price and the warantee.

When I bought my 128 , I negotiated the price down to something I was happy with, although I didn't have a trade-in. But I went there looking to buy

The 1st 128 I looked at was, just to check the car out and I never negotiated anything, however when I gave the "I need to come back to you after wife chat", he got a bit high pressured with me, and proceeded to ring me every day for 3 days after !

LOLZ, but cool, txs for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You have to be careful with negotiating the new car price and the trade at the same time. The great trade in price can come with a poor new car price. Sounds to me like the dealer committed to nothing and you committed to taking their offer.

I recommend negotiating the best price you can get without a trade, then negotiate the trade and evaluate their offer (real offer not the "in theory" offer). Last couple of years did the above and then sold my car, wife's, then mother's for a few thousand more than trade in. Selling for a good deal on Craiglist all were gone within three days of listing. Couple of hours work for a couple of thousand dollars. Biggest mistake people make in trying to sell it themselves is trying to get top dollar, dealing with all the hassles then giving up and trade it in for far less.

Last edited by jaye944; 08-29-2018 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #25
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I literally just sold an acura I had privately because I refused to accept the dealer rape as acceptable. The dealer offered me 6k for my car which was wayyyyyy low. I sold it privately, on craigslist for 11k.

Bottom line is everything that's worth doing takes some work. If you're not willing to make some effort to sell the car, then just trade it in but know that you're losing, most likely, thousands of dollars by doing it. If that's worth it to you, then do your thing. It wasn't worth it to lose 5k for me.
jaye9441019.00
      08-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #26
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Oh and I hear you,

That's why my car is already on 2 car sale websites, if I get a bite, then hey
no problems.

But what I'm "initially seeing" is (in my case) there wasn't a big deal of difference in what trader websites say my car is worth trade-in and private...and let's just say since putting it up 2 days ago, I've had no bites.

So I'll be adjusting the price every so often, I'm not even getting lo-ball offers LOLZ

Where talking a couple of grand, not 5 or 6 grand, for me (don't get me wrong, I'm not wearing Rolex's, and Gucci)
Is not worth the hassle.

I think various sites recon 22k, dealer would give me 20k, had no bites at 22k, why would I sell it for the same price of a trade-in or less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I literally just sold an acura I had privately because I refused to accept the dealer rape as acceptable. The dealer offered me 6k for my car which was wayyyyyy low. I sold it privately, on craigslist for 11k.

Bottom line is everything that's worth doing takes some work. If you're not willing to make some effort to sell the car, then just trade it in but know that you're losing, most likely, thousands of dollars by doing it. If that's worth it to you, then do your thing. It wasn't worth it to lose 5k for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #27
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
Oh and I hear you,

no problems.

But what I'm "initially seeing" is (in my case) there wasn't a big deal of difference in what trader websites say my car is worth trade-in and private...and let's just say since putting it up 2 days ago, I've had no bites.

So I'll be adjusting the price every so often, I'm not even getting lo-ball offers LOLZ
What are you listing it for?

How is the dealer going to buy your car, run it through the detail shop, and resell it for profit if what you are trying to sell it for is close to what he will buy it for?
      08-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Have you thought about a car buying service? Pretty sure companies like this exist in Canada. I did this very thing with my previous car. Got way more money using a car buying company over what trade in value would have been or what Carmax offered me. Obviously I didn't get what I could get selling it privately but it was a good compromise over what you expressed concerns about with the hassle of selling it yourself. I had an appointment set up. They appraised my car in the parking lot. About an hour later, I walked out with a check in hand.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441019.00
      08-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #29
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I did some run's through autotrader and canadian blackbook on trade and for sale prices. (I know this is not accurate-but I also looked at prices on private sales as well as dealers)

Have it up for $22k

last question, dunno lolz, I think I'll also see what another dealer would give me, I may get, well, we'll give you 10 hahaha

Quote:
What are you listing it for?

How is the dealer going to buy your car, run it through the detail shop, and resell it for profit if what you are trying to sell it for is close to what he will buy it for?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 06:34 PM   #30
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

yeah the closet carmax is in vancouver and I'm in Ontario.

BUT I will have a google at places in my area, who buy and sell cars to see,
of course that is a good idea and one that was sent me way, someplace in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Have you thought about a car buying service? Pretty sure companies like this exist in Canada. I did this very thing with my previous car. Got way more money using a car buying company over what trade in value would have been or what Carmax offered me. Obviously I didn't get what I could get selling it privately but it was a good compromise over what you expressed concerns about with the hassle of selling it yourself. I had an appointment set up. They appraised my car in the parking lot. About an hour later, I walked out with a check in hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #31
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
Quote:
Oh and I hear you,

no problems.

Where talking a couple of grand, not 5 or 6 grand, for me (don't get me wrong, I'm not wearing Rolex's, and Gucci)
Is not worth the hassle.

I think various sites recon 22k, dealer would give me 20k, had no bites at 22k, why would I sell it for the same price of a trade-in or less?
Yes 2k is much less of a difference but think about it as mod money... or how many days/weeks do you have to work to take home 2k. Money is money friend, whether it be large or small amounts ..it’s only been 2 days, it’s nothing. It’s took me 2 weeks to sell. Unless you’re in some time constraint or you may lose a really good deal because you need to sell your car first I would tough it out.

Even still, if you give a dealer a deposit on a car and tell them the situation, they’re usually cool with waiting it out. My dealer did it for me when I went to get my wife’s Acura and I told them we wanted to try and sell her car privately.
      08-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #32
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

cool, good advice brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
Yes 2k is much less of a difference but think about it as mod money... or how many days/weeks do you have to work to take home 2k. Money is money friend, whether it be large or small amounts ..it’s only been 2 days, it’s nothing. It’s took me 2 weeks to sell. Unless you’re in some time constraint or you may lose a really good deal because you need to sell your car first I would tough it out.

Even still, if you give a dealer a deposit on a car and tell them the situation, they’re usually cool with waiting it out. My dealer did it for me when I went to get my wife’s Acura and I told them we wanted to try and sell her car privately.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #33
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Ever since I moved to a state that has trade-in tax credit, I haven't sold a car privately for years.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:56 PM   #34
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I'd always sold privately. But, at the suggestion of a friend I got an appraisal at CarMax. They offered about halfway between the PP value and the dealer's appraisal. It was about a 20 minute process to walk out with payment in hand. Two years later, I went back to CarMax and had the same sort of excellent and financially advantageous experience. It was super fast and simple; highly recommended.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:10 AM   #35
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

max money will always be private party. took me two months to sell my 335 but i finally got it done. the amount i saved will easily cover my 458's property taxes.

but i have another daily i can take to work thats paid off. and have a house so no parking fees for extra spots. once i sell i can kick back with the money in my account and start browsing autotrader for the next toy. as long as i find something in the next 6 months i'll get a tax credit and only be taxed on the difference in price between the two cars.

and lots of people don't have those options ... so they are forced to let dealers gut them on trade in.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
jaye9441019.00
      08-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #36
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I refuse to list on autotrader or craigslist. Don't want to deal with random people.
FWIW, the last two BMWs I sold on Craigslist, both buyers turned out to be local BMW CCA members. You don't have to respond to every inquiry on Craigslist (since your email address is hidden). I ignored more than half the emails (not complete sentences, asking stupid things, did not seem serious) and the only people that I gave my address to see the car, were the people that actually ended up purchasing the car.
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
jaye9441019.00
      08-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #37
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
FWIW, the last two BMWs I sold on Craigslist, both buyers turned out to be local BMW CCA members. You don't have to respond to every inquiry on Craigslist (since your email address is hidden). I ignored more than half the emails (not complete sentences, asking stupid things, did not seem serious) and the only people that I gave my address to see the car, were the people that actually ended up purchasing the car.
Agree. Lots of things you can do to reduce risk and I can see no way to eliminate risk in my life so am careful and deal with some amount. If the small risk or amount of work is more than you want to deal with then you should skip. The horror stories you read about on the internet are also a tiny portion of the total, like reading about car accidents then being afraid to leave your house.

Screen the e-mail, have a conversation with them on the phone (as scary as it is), meet in a public place (although for cars I haven't been doing it), get paid at your bank (although I haven't been doing it).

As already said, selling it yourself is a part time job, not free money. I also think selling $10k cars is far easier than $20k-$30k cars, as the price goes up the people needing financing also goes up and the people looking on Craigslist/Autotrader goes down.

Got cash on the pickup I sold for family member, he drove off with it, wife was worried it was a scam and he would later come back and rob us of the cash. This would have been a massive circle to steal a pickup when it could happen anywhere, anytime, without involving him risking coming into our house to get the cash back or having already showed us his drivers license. Possible, yes, likely, extremely low.
      08-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #38
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

thank you

back home, I had a garage, a drive and an off drive parking area,
I had a weekend car and a daily driver

All of the excellent advice given on this thread, woulda worked perfectly well back there, actually, it would be a no-brainer to even ask

here is a different story

Actually, when I first landed, wife had 1 year of for maternity leave, so I had use of her car, when I was looking for one for me, but now we both work, do school runs, and realistically can only park 2 cars.

It's no fun honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
and lots of people don't have those options ... so they are forced to let dealers gut them on trade in.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #39
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

actually hadn't thought of CL, I might do that as well

I have it up on a/trader and kijiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #40
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

this !

Quote:
As already said, selling it yourself is a part time job, not free money. I also think selling $10k cars is far easier than $20k-$30k cars, as the price goes up the people needing financing also goes up and the people looking on Craigslist/Autotrader goes down.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #41
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

People may laugh at your comment, but recently here in Canada (couple of years ago) - and this was in the news- a guy had his PUP truck for sale,2 guys came to buy it, they drove off, wife never saw husband again.

They killed him, put him in an incinerator end off
why.. fuq knows,

ok VERY rare but shit happens

tim bosma - very sad, left a wife and child behind

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-die-1.3635024

There's a miniscule chance that there was some measure of truth in the sequence of events Millard's defence team presented, in which Bosma died during a botched robbery when he grabbed the gun pointed at him.

Quote:
Got cash on the pickup I sold for family member, he drove off with it, wife was worried it was a scam and he would later come back and rob us of the cash. This would have been a massive circle to steal a pickup when it could happen anywhere, anytime, without involving him risking coming into our house to get the cash back or having already showed us his drivers license. Possible, yes, likely, extremely low.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 07:11 AM   #42
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
People may laugh at your comment, but recently here in Canada (couple of years ago) - and this was in the news- a guy had his PUP truck for sale,2 guys came to buy it, they drove off, wife never saw husband again.

They killed him, put him in an incinerator end off
why.. fuq knows,

ok VERY rare but shit happens

tim bosma - very sad, left a wife and child behind

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-die-1.3635024

There's a miniscule chance that there was some measure of truth in the sequence of events Millard's defence team presented, in which Bosma died during a botched robbery when he grabbed the gun pointed at him.
A couple of years ago there was a guy that was killed? Over 30,000 are killed in car accidents in the U.S. each year and I don't think twice about driving somewhere.

Also, the same story above could happen anywhere anytime including when you stop to get gas. If they were looking to rob and murder someone they didn't need to need to answer a sales add to do it.

Last edited by David70; 08-31-2018 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #43
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

I always sell mine. I always keep my vehicles in excellent condition and have had no trouble selling them. I do think it’s wise to be a little careful, though, especially if you’re dealing with someone not from your local area. There are all kinds of common sense things you can do to protect yourself, e.g. meet in a well lit place where there are cameras, take a pic of the other person’s drivers license and license plate of whatever they are driving and forward it to your spouse or somebody, etc. It’s a pita, but normally the difference between my trade in value and what I sell for is several thousand(generally at least five) so I’m willing to be put out a little for that.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441019.00
      08-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #44
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

dude , you brought it up ?

I'm not worried about being robbed at gun point,

Got cash on the pickup I sold for family member, he drove off with it, wife was worried it was a scam and he would later come back and rob us of the cash.

Your wife didn't seem to think so

Quote:
A couple of years ago there was a guy that was killed? Over 30,000 are killed in car accidents in the U.S. each year and I don't think twice about driving somewhere.

Also, the same story above could happen anywhere anytime including when you stop to get gas. If they were looking to rob and murder someone they didn't need to need to answer a sales add to do it.
Appreciate 0