ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #23
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I read an interview with a BMW engineer on this topic. He said that due to the large hatch opening the 4 GC body structure wasn't stiff enough. It would require too much additional weight to reinforce the structure sufficiently enough to use it for an M.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
I read an interview with a BMW engineer on this topic. He said that due to the large hatch opening the 4 GC body structure wasn't stiff enough. It would require too much additional weight to reinforce the structure sufficiently enough to use it for an M.
Kind of make sense but there already is an M4 Vert. so not so sure about the too much weight for an M.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #25
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
The Grand Coupe is what the 3 should have looked like to start. I think both models look great, but the GC looks sleeker and sportier.

The 6 GC looks a good deal different than the 5 series does. I just don't think there is a enough differentiation between the regular 3 and the 3 GC to necessitate another model. All that being said, the frameless doors and hatchback design are great.
Until you realize that no reasonable adult would be very comfortable in the back of a 4GC. I'm 5'8" and my head hits the headliner. The 3'er is not super duper roomy back there but it was comfortable (didn't feel like the roof was too close to my head and I'm not even that tall! lol).

The door opening also felt smaller so getting in I had to crouch a bit to not hit my head. The 6GC coupe works b/c its already a much longer and roomier car to start so sloping that rear roofline doesn't make the car feel as cramped.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:45 AM   #26
Dawko
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: :

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Until you realize that no reasonable adult would be very comfortable in the back of a 4GC. I'm 5'8" and my head hits the headliner. The 3'er is not super duper roomy back there but it was comfortable (didn't feel like the roof was too close to my head and I'm not even that tall! lol).

The door opening also felt smaller so getting in I had to crouch a bit to not hit my head. The 6GC coupe works b/c its already a much longer and roomier car to start so sloping that rear roofline doesn't make the car feel as cramped.
M4 GC would be ideal for a family of 3 (2 adults and one kid) that want the styling of a coupe, but the practicality of a sedan.
In my experience, we don't have a lot of adult passengers in our cars so this would not be an issue. But I can understand that most customers are looking for a more business side when choosing a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
M4 GC would be ideal for a family of 3 (2 adults and one kid) that want the styling of a coupe, but the practicality of a sedan.
In my experience, we don't have a lot of adult passengers in our cars so this would not be an issue. But I can understand that most customers are looking for a more business side when choosing a car.
There is already quite a bit of brand dilution with BMW as is and to further dilute the ///Marketing, er I mean ///Motorsport division, any further probably wouldn't do BMW M any good .

Looks are pretty subjective and while I find the 6GC to be gorgeous and better looking than a 5'er, the 4GC just doesn't blow my socks off to make me want it over the regular 3'er while giving up headroom and some accessibility. The frameless doors are cool tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #28
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Kind of make sense but there already is an M4 Vert. so not so sure about the too much weight for an M.
I thought the same thing. I'm just relaying what I read based on the question that was asked. I guess you can look at it from the viewpoint that the convertible offers something that the M3 & M4 coupe do not. Where as a M4 GC wouldn't because you already have the M3 sedan and the only real difference is styling. There probably wouldn't be a lot of people willing to buy the M4 GC if it weighed 250 lbs more than a comparable M3, I know I wouldn't. On the other hand if I were in the market for a 35i, I would get the 435i GC over a 335i. I prefer the 435i GC styling.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #29
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
There is already quite a bit of brand dilution with BMW as is and to further dilute the ///Marketing, er I mean ///Motorsport division, any further probably wouldn't do BMW M any good .

Looks are pretty subjective and while I find the 6GC to be gorgeous and better looking than a 5'er, the 4GC just doesn't blow my socks off to make me want it over the regular 3'er while giving up headroom and some accessibility. The frameless doors are cool tho.
The 6GC is effectively its own model denomination as its VERY different from the 5 and the 6 coupe. I also really don't think the 4GC really looks different enough to make the distinction.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0