Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Buying '71 G20 M340i MHT - Advice

05-07-2024, 03:26 PM   #23
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Forgot to say all my subscriptions expired last month and I'm not missing them, I use waze for long journeys and pay for the speed camera alert. No way I'm paying 80 for maps and then the other booster stuff. Mine is a 21 m340 mht
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 04:28 PM   #24
PPK
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

I also feel the lifeshine product can’t be worth much if they’re throwing it in.

The tyre protection is for 4 years at £500+. At approx £200 per tyre, I’d need to make 3 valid claims. I also don’t like the idea of having one new and one old tyre on the front or back. I always change in pairs.

I think I’ll refuse the kind offer.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 04:58 PM   #25
PPK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Forgot to say all my subscriptions expired last month and I'm not missing them, I use waze for long journeys and pay for the speed camera alert. No way I'm paying 80 for maps and then the other booster stuff. Mine is a 21 m340 mht
The dealer said I have all subscriptions till Nov ‘24 when the car reaches 3 years old then Amazon Alexa and Connected Package Professional expires. Everything else remains.

I’m assuming speed camera alerts is part of Connected Package Professional which means I’ll have to pay for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:58 PM   #26
MisterG
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring, TVR Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPK View Post
The dealer said I have all subscriptions till Nov ‘24 when the car reaches 3 years old then Amazon Alexa and Connected Package Professional expires. Everything else remains.

I’m assuming speed camera alerts is part of Connected Package Professional which means I’ll have to pay for it?
Speed Camera alerts is a totally separate subscription item anyway.. its not included as part of the 3 year new car.

Have to admit - it does annoy me that BMW are not clear on exactly what "Connected package professional" includes. and that after expiry its replaced by the "Connected booster package" and a couple of others.

Another tip since you mention the car is a November build:
BMW usually have a Black Friday sale on their subscriptions around the end of Nov - 20% discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 03:11 AM   #27
PPK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterG View Post
Speed Camera alerts is a totally separate subscription item anyway.. its not included as part of the 3 year new car.

Have to admit - it does annoy me that BMW are not clear on exactly what "Connected package professional" includes. and that after expiry its replaced by the "Connected booster package" and a couple of others.

Another tip since you mention the car is a November build:
BMW usually have a Black Friday sale on their subscriptions around the end of Nov - 20% discount.
Good shout, thanks!

I’m going to ask the sales rep to be clear about the ‘everything else is included’, very misleading to say the least.

A few more questions before the car arrives:

Concerned about security. What are my options - stop lock, ghost immobiliser etc? Hate the idea of extra hassle when I can simple jump in & out my current car without worry!

Also, how many have taken out Gap insurance and have (unfortunately) had to claim? Looking for feedback before I select a company.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 07:53 AM   #28
PPK
Private
Rep

Also, I’ve had brake pad and disc readings back, are they decent, looks like discs are halfway between new and minimum? I believe I can change the pads once more before discs need changing (currently at 35k)?

Front pads 11 on inner and outer
Front discs 35
Rear pads 9 on inner and outer
Rear discs 23
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:20 AM   #29
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:
Also, I’ve had brake pad and disc readings back, are they decent, looks like discs are halfway between new and minimum? I believe I can change the pads once more before discs need changing (currently at 35k)?

Front pads 11 on inner and outer
Front discs 35
Rear pads 9 on inner and outer
Rear discs 23
Plenty left on the pads. Warning light will come on around 2-3mm so I'd estimate around another 30-40k miles depending on your driving style.

As for discs, my old F21, that I sold to a friend, has 120k and still on the original discs.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 02:13 PM   #30
PPK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
Plenty left on the pads. Warning light will come on around 2-3mm so I'd estimate around another 30-40k miles depending on your driving style.

As for discs, my old F21, that I sold to a friend, has 120k and still on the original discs.
That’s helpful, I was worried there would be a big bill within a year but at 6k miles a year, I should be fine for a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 02:46 PM   #31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Good shout, thanks!

I’m going to ask the sales rep to be clear about the ‘everything else is included’, very misleading to say the least.

A few more questions before the car arrives:

Concerned about security. What are my options - stop lock, ghost immobiliser etc? Hate the idea of extra hassle when I can simple jump in & out my current car without worry!

Also, how many have taken out Gap insurance and have (unfortunately) had to claim? Looking for feedback before I select a company.

Thanks
Unless your insurance states you need anything I personally wouldn't bother. However even though bmw updated keyless to stop transmitting when still etc I'd keep the keys in a Faraday bag at night just in case.
If someone really wants it they will take it so better to invest in gap and minimise potential interactions with any scum bags.

More importantly start looking forward to it! Get the exhaust flap unplugged and a tuning box on and grin for many miles to come! (You still get plenty of grins without doing that FYI )
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 05:09 PM   #32
PPK
Private
Rep

So a faraday bag should be enough? I was under the impression there were other ways hence the ghost immobilisor and stop lock as a deterrant.

What was the update on the keys? I haven't really been following as I had nothing to worry about on my E90.

PS I am looking forward to the car, will be a big change after 11 years in the E90 330i (N52) which I still love driving today.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 05:16 PM   #33
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
So a faraday bag should be enough? I was under the impression there were other ways hence the ghost immobilisor and stop lock as a deterrant.

What was the update on the keys? I haven't really been following as I had nothing to worry about on my E90.

PS I am looking forward to the car, will be a big change after 11 years in the E90 330i (N52) which I still love driving today.
The update with the keys was to what people nickname 'sleeping keys' in so far as they are inactive when placed out of immediate range of the car.
Keeping in a Faraday pouch is added security if you want further peace of mind. I use the 'Iron stripe' ones, available on Amazon!
GAP insurance is a good call, mine's with GAP Insurance.co.uk.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:40 AM   #34
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

My opinion is that a Faraday bag is a total waste of money, and not needed with BMW’s sleeping key system.

To my mind, the fact that people keep recommending them, “just in case”, simply adds to the FUD around the subject.

Yes, older BMWs were subject to relay attacks, but that hasn’t been the case for some time now. Certainly any models that fall within the remit of this forum aren’t vulnerable. Your key sleeps soundly at night so you can too. No need for bags, not even “just in case”. You can’t make a vehicle that isn’t subject to relay attacks even more not subject to them!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 02:28 AM   #35
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
".......... they are inactive when placed out of immediate range of the car.........."

It's actually lack of movement of the key that sends it to sleep. You can test this by laying your key on the ground next to car for a few minutes and then try opening the door.

Last edited by sjb993; 05-09-2024 at 02:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
bmnut842.50
      05-09-2024, 02:50 AM   #36
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
There are other ways to prevent theft as you say however all of these are a balance between convenience, cost and risk. The very worst case scenario is that someone who desperately wants the car will then break into your house and force you to unlock it/give them the immobiliser code etc. A less worrying option is that they'll wreck the car in attempts to get locks off/disable immobiliser in which case it'll be over to the insurance company anyway. IMO GAP insurance is definitely the best option.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 08:40 AM   #37
PPK
Private
Rep

It's to know the G20 has sleeping keys so I can still go out and not have to worry about carrying around a pouch and putting on a stop lock every time I go to the shops.

My sis has a '67 F36 and she has to put the stop lock on every time she leaves the car and carry a Faraday pouch which for me is a big ball ache. I take it the sleeping key update was only down on the G series?

I think the Ghost immobiliser is just a precaution if someone were to get into my car overnight. As you say, if someone really wants the car, there are extreme measures but let's hope we never have to go through this experience over what is a car at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:37 AM   #38
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb993 View Post
It's actually lack of movement of the key that sends it to sleep. You can test this by laying your key on the ground next to car for a few minutes and then try opening the door.
Thanks sjb993. I was probably getting mixed up with the wife's car key on her F22 which is the same as the F30 series ones!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:39 AM   #39
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlyssg View Post
There are other ways to prevent theft as you say however all of these are a balance between convenience, cost and risk. The very worst case scenario is that someone who desperately wants the car will then break into your house and force you to unlock it/give them the immobiliser code etc. A less worrying option is that they'll wreck the car in attempts to get locks off/disable immobiliser in which case it'll be over to the insurance company anyway. IMO GAP insurance is definitely the best option.

Definitely this! ^^^^
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 08:42 AM   #40
PPK
Private
Rep

Anyone used motoreasy for Gap insurance? They also have alloy and paint protection insurance. The keep sending me discounts so I'm wondering how good they are if anyone has experience of claiming from them.

Thanks
Appreciate 0