BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Steering, Please Tell Me It Will Be Different from the M235i

11-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Absolutely a mini is more fun and engaging than any 3 series..

The question to you is why an M2 if you already own what most of us can only dream of in the GT3?

If you're looking for a DD to complement your GT3 and offer some practicality (and assuming the extra $15k won't break the bank - no offense - if you can afford a GT3) then why not an M3?
You know, I struggled with that a bit as well.

I'm rather certain that it won't be that much cheaper than an M3. However, it's a mental thing for me. I don't want to feel like I'm paying that much for cars and it lets me feel better and rationalize about the GT3's replacement (I'm #1 at my dealer for the 991.2 GT3, but wouldn't mind getting a 650S or RWD Huracan). I also am very careful about parking my cars and detailing them, etc. The CLA45, for it's price point, I actually don't mind valeting it or parking it in places I normally wouldn't with my GT3 or GT-R or M5. I think I'd be paranoid again with an M3.

I intend to do the big group ED that Miguel (RSR) is planning and with it going to three tracks off the bat, I think this will be more engaging and fun.

I also like the size compared to the M3. I don't need a large car since it's usually just one or two people in the car including myself 90% of the time. I've also been waiting on the competition package for the M3 to come out and wouldn't consider buying an M3 without it. I'm not a fan of the M3's exhaust note either. If the competition comes out ready for that ED trip and it's amazing, I may sway. However, as of right now, I'm 95% team M2. Plus, it'll be the new car on the block for a little while. Driving the M235i today just scared me a bit that it would be numb and not fun to drive.
Guess you already have an M5 for a practical car.. The M2 will be a nice sporty every day addition for you then, go for it!

Enjoy your cars in good health man
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #24
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

I know the M2 is getting the same steering system as the M3 but has it been confirmed that the M2 steering is also going to be adjustable like the M3?By that I mean will it have the comfort,sport and sport plus settings?The M3 gets noticeably tighter and heavier in sport plus which is how I prefer it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #25
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Yes, it will adjust to the selected driving mode just like on the M235i and M3/M4.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #26
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

The M2 steering will be key issue to me.

As a former 1M owner, I did like the steering, quick, agile, precise, also the beautiful thick steering wheel was just made for my hands.

My current Cayman GTS, as much as I do love the whole package, has IMHO one minor point; the steering !

1 The steering wheel is far to thin
2 It lacks feel/feedback
3 Initial steering input can not match the initial 1M steering input
4 The steering has a strong wheight in it when cornering fast, there is a lot of resistance and too much self centering force, witch IMHO makes it a tiresome driving experience, you always have to bring a lot of force to the steering (some people will cal that "feedback") but IMHO it feels like you have to fight with it.

Now for the M2 the EPS has to prove itself against my GTS EPS and 1M HPS

Let me be surprised.........
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #27
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2
ive been wondering about this as well!

when i went for a test drive of the M235 the young kid took me to a parking lot and told me to drive in a circle a few times, for him to tell me this he must have thought id be impressed but i found the steering to be very soft and i couldnt even feel the road, my previous car the evo i just loved the feel of the steering

never driven an m3/m4 hopefully it is much sportier than the M235
Mitsu EVO has PHENOMENAL steering. Awesome feel and incredible turn in.

Did you ever drive the main competitor in the STI, slow, cumbersome, and uninvolving in comparison. I would have probably bought an STI at one point but driving an EVO made me rethink that seriously. Finally I ditched the idea of all wheel drive together ...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #28
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Did you ever drive the main competitor in the STI, slow, cumbersome, and uninvolving in comparison. I would have probably bought an STI at one point but driving an EVO made me rethink that seriously. Finally I ditched the idea of all wheel drive together ...
totally 1000% agree about the Evo steering. Magnificent!!! I am actually thinking of buying an Evo X as a 2nd car lately.....love them and production ending soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #29
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I'm always surprised to hear people have enough money to buy several cars, but don't have the common sense to avoid buying new, despite their perceived shortcomings of modern vehicles. If I could afford multiple cars, and wanted a car with all the shit people gripe about being absent on newer cars, I would likely not be posting about it on these forums and instead just buy myself a well kept used vehicle that had all of those traits I wanted. Yet instead, people insist that BMW or whatever other manufacturer is in question is just going to hell because they can't make new cars that are good as their old cars. Blows my mind...
      11-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #30
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3 | NB Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
totally 1000% agree about the Evo steering. Magnificent!!! I am actually thinking of buying an Evo X as a 2nd car lately.....love them and production ending soon.
I will third this opinion..as I have an evo x right now!!

I'm pretty worried about the steering as well, but I guess it may be the trade off for luxury and more overall power.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #31
Bmwhocr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3 | NB Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I'm always surprised to hear people have enough money to buy several cars, but don't have the common sense to avoid buying new, despite their perceived shortcomings of modern vehicles. If I could afford multiple cars, and wanted a car with all the shit people gripe about being absent on newer cars, I would likely not be posting about it on these forums and instead just buy myself a well kept used vehicle that had all of those traits I wanted. Yet instead, people insist that BMW or whatever other manufacturer is in question is just going to hell because they can't make new cars that are good as their old cars. Blows my mind...
Sometimes its hard to find that perfect combination of everything you want in the used market. Buying new is always easier but you have to pay to play. Everyone has their own reasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #32
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhocr View Post
I will third this opinion..as I have an evo x right now!!

I'm pretty worried about the steering as well, but I guess it may be the trade off for luxury and more overall power.
exactly i think we all may have been super spoiled... not sure we will get the same feel in the M2 but hopefully it is close and yes the increase in power and nicer interior will definitely help ease the transition
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #33
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhocr View Post
Sometimes its hard to find that perfect combination of everything you want in the used market. Buying new is always easier but you have to pay to play. Everyone has their own reasons.
Except that newer cars are not being built like they used to. If you can afford to keep multiple cars, at least you have the option of a couple new cars and one older car that still has that "thing" you can't find anymore. If you can only afford one car, and it needs to be new, then sure I sympathize with you.
      11-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #34
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Valid all round. It's just people buying new but still lamenting on the loss of 'old stuff'. It would take a generational change before things like stick change, NA engine, hydraulic steering, fix suspension etc become things of the near past. Who now talks about non-powered steering?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #35
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:

Agree until the 2015+ STI, the new chassis is badass. Drive mine sometime, you'll change your mind. The whole package is way nicer than the aging Evo X.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #36
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Depends on the car. Go look at the used 2015/2016 M3 market, used ones cost the same or more as ordering a new one on Euro Delivery exactly how you want. Same with the 2015+ STI, they depreciate maybe a grand or 1,500 in a year and 10K miles. Plus in the case of the 2015+ M3 maintenance does not transfer to the 2nd owner, you have to pay extra for it. Would be stupid to buy used in those cases.

I'm normally against buying new cars but sometimes the math just doesn't add up to buy used.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Quote:

Agree until the 2015+ STI, the new chassis is badass. Drive mine sometime, you'll change your mind. The whole package is way nicer than the aging Evo X.
Ok! But first GT3.... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #38
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok! But first GT3.... ;-)
Just leave me a 95K check that won't bounce if you crash it
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #39
HawkZ4M
Rep
Drives: M635Csi 88 E30 M3

I have to admit I was totally disappointed by the M235i steering feel aswell.

I was hyped on the M2 till I felt these newer electric steering racks from BMW and test drove the M235i.

It has good weight and is precise but has no feel through the wheel of what the front end is doing. You used to be able to read the road with your fingertips on hydraulic racks and after driving a few of these new electric racks I am disappointed. I have a couple of SUVs that give me more steering feel than the M235i did. Still a great drivers car but it is missing the road feel for sure.

I am waiting to drive the M2 before I put in my order. If its anywhere close to the M235i steering I wont be purchasing.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #40
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:

Not sure which gen Evo you are talking about, but my X was only very good, not excellent.

My 1967 Austin Mini Cooper S was EXCELLENT! Even without fancy M mirrors.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #41
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
The steering was atrocious, it totally makes me reconsider purchasing an M2 now. It was too light, numb and just imprecise. I had it in Sport and Sport+.
The settings are partially customisable in the M235i. In Sport I wouldn't consider the steering light, it is quite weighty.

Sounds like they may have dialled down the settings on the 'suspension' setting which leaves the steering a bit light for my liking too. In the standard Sport and + setting the damping is pretty firm to the extent it will skip when pushed if the tarmac surface is bumpy, maybe they were trying to avoid that.
      11-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #42
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

On the Mini's. I get they are a great package. I have raced against a number of them and they are damn quick, reliable as a race car, look crazy when crossed up mid corner being front wheel drive.

But I just prefer rwd.
      11-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #43
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Quote:
Perhaps you should better define your actual complaint or simply understand the reality of electric steering.

For example , If you don't like the 235 steering because it " doesn't feel the same as a hydraulic rack... Well then you simply would get a captain obvious award by saying the M2 electric steering doesn't feel mechanical.

Undoubtedly the M2 steering will be revised (Mproved) over the M235 and will likely be the M4/M3 system with perhaps a few slight tweaks.

If you simply have an " I hate electric steering " chip on your shoulder, then go drive a Cayman. It's typically indicated as one of the better racks on the planet and its electric. At the very least
You will have driven what most reviewers agree is the best there is.

You should probably drive an M4 now and save us the whining later ... Because if you really really dislike all electric steering then you should probably go find a 1M right away....
I articulated my complaint. The M235i's steering is too light and numb. Articulated. What do you want me to elaborate?

Did I ever say I hate electric steering? Go drive a Cayman? Lolol. I don't need to, nor do I need to listen to what some reviewers say. I have a 2015 Porsche GT3. It has electric steering. The feel isn't like a classic 911, but for electric steering, it's damn amazing. I'm not looking for that in something as cheap as an M2 which is being bought as my beater, but I'm looking for something that feels better than the numb M235i, because I'm not buying an M to go to parking lot meets.
Maybe before you blatantly lie over car forums about cars you don't own, you should get your facts straight.

"Your" 991 GT3 does not have electronic steering.

Current: 2015 Cayman S on HRE P101
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #44
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
On the Mini's. I get they are a great package. I have raced against a number of them and they are damn quick, reliable as a race car, look crazy when crossed up mid corner being front wheel drive.

But I just prefer rwd.
My 1967 was always breaking down. It was the least reliable car I ever owned, but also just about the most fun. And I did beat the crap out of it.

RWD is better imho, although I do live in Buffalo. . .
Appreciate 0