ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-30-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Wink Any experiences with Graphene vs typical ceramics

Search on Graphene didn't come up with many hits. Been a user of ceramics on most of my cars for ~ 5 years now, typically obtaining those in a true 9H pro rating that would last for about 3+ years (GTechniq/Cquartz). When I obtained this car just under 2 years ago - I used Avalon on this last application, which I've been happy with. Thinking it's been 2 winters of salt and grime, plus a front end respray, thinking on a new application. Always liked how the cars would shine after a simple wash and dry, including my black Audi.

I see Graphene has come on strong these past couple years, and I'm going to give this a go. Promises of a harder surface, little easier application (can do a little larger area at once), less static (thinking rear bumper dust) and less prone to water spotting are the promises seen.

Chose Adams Advanced. While not what I would consider a true Pro grade, I see shops in the area using. Interested to see the UV application of this, as I was always concerned if got everything with ceramics (OCD I'm sure).

I'll go through the typical prep:
  • Wash/Dry
  • Iron X remover
  • Clay Bar
  • Light paint correction (as needed)
  • Dupont full wax removal
  • Application Coating

Anybody have experience with both - interested to hear your thoughts between the two. Here's a pic of what I just got ($120 shipped from Adam's with promo codes) Just don't tell me snake oil (I'd hate to see it). Got a cheap UV light off amazon for $6, which I'm sure will do fine.
Attached Images

03-31-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
kcha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It's been about 8 months since I've applied spray version (non-advanced). I think it's still working well, but I wish the surface would be smooth like Gyeon mohs evo that I just applied on my audi q5.
Appreciate 1
ShopVac4108.50
      05-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
I have Turtle Wax Graphene spray, it's been almost a year.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1831912

I started a thread but got too lazy to maintain it.

In short, since I maintained my exterior pretty well, it's hard to see much of a difference or if any for that fact. I haven't had to spray my car since my original application to refresh this graphene coat, but in my case it's hard to tell because my car has PPF and my PPF has a natural hydrophobic layer. The dusting is slightly lower, I would only say slightly. Of course, no difference in brake dust sticking to the wheels.

Would I buy this spray again? I mean probably, but it's gonna be a while before I buy another wax because my bottle is still like 98% full since my original coat. I haven't seen a need to keep applying.

Throughout my year of the graphene coating I haven't noticed any loss of hydrophobic properties like it's starts sheeting or anything like that but I am not sure if that's from my PPF either.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
ShopVac4108.50
      05-06-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I have Turtle Wax Graphene spray, it's been almost a year.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1831912

I started a thread but got too lazy to maintain it.

In short, since I maintained my exterior pretty well, it's hard to see much of a difference or if any for that fact. I haven't had to spray my car since my original application to refresh this graphene coat, but in my case it's hard to tell because my car has PPF and my PPF has a natural hydrophobic layer. The dusting is slightly lower, I would only say slightly. Of course, no difference in brake dust sticking to the wheels.

Would I buy this spray again? I mean probably, but it's gonna be a while before I buy another wax because my bottle is still like 98% full since my original coat. I haven't seen a need to keep applying.

Throughout my year of the graphene coating I haven't noticed any loss of hydrophobic properties like it's starts sheeting or anything like that but I am not sure if that's from my PPF either.
Interesting to hear...

Originally applying a ceramic (Avalon King - Armor Shield IX) that is listed as a 5 year product, I started to see some deterioration on the hard hit spots after 2.5 years, which also went through two rather harsh winters. With also the respray on the front, thought I'd just do the whole car again.

Immediate shine is perfect (as expected) but the test is really long term. Adams lists their Advanced as a 9 year...but find that hard to believe. They provided a booster, which I feel is just their Graphene spray (nothing to back that up).

I will state, I did lay 3 coats front bumper, rear bumper, hood and trunk - waiting at least 24 hrs between each. They say it won't add protection...just did it anyway.

Complete detail (which included cleaning the brake hubs, engine bay, and wet sand of the hood) took about a week with the graphene's required dry times. Hope to see if it's better than the ceramic coat.
      05-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcha View Post
It's been about 8 months since I've applied spray version (non-advanced). I think it's still working well, but I wish the surface would be smooth like Gyeon mohs evo that I just applied on my audi q5.
I bought a couple bottles of Adams spray coat for the wife's Acura. Applied right around the time you posted. Also plan to use this on the spider...since it never sees bad weather, I'm sure it will be enough. Agree that after some time, while the shine is okay, doesn't have the smoothness when you run your hand on it.
      07-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #6
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

i myself am on the fence about going with Adam's Advanced Graphene this time around. i've had Gtechniq CSU on my B9 S4 and it was phenomenal. i'm skeptical about Adam's offering a 9 year consumer coating, but i guess time will tell. i have read some reviews about their graphene ruining plastics and being much more prone to high spots. of course, this seems more of an installer error. nevertheless, there aren't enough reviews out there, which is leading me to stick to the tried and true CQuartz 3.0. what are your thoughts after 4 months?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

My STI and S4 had Adams Graphene ceramic coating, and my M3 has GTechniq on it. There's no comparison. The GTechniq is night and day slicker, easier to maintain, and just all around gives a more permanent "wet" look. I wouldn't go with Adams Graphene again.

At the same time, the graphene is a lot more user friendly, and pretty easy to apply as a DIY. Gtechniq is not.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #8
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
My STI and S4 had Adams Graphene ceramic coating, and my M3 has GTechniq on it. There's no comparison. The GTechniq is night and day slicker, easier to maintain, and just all around gives a more permanent "wet" look. I wouldn't go with Adams Graphene again.

At the same time, the graphene is a lot more user friendly, and pretty easy to apply as a DIY. Gtechniq is not.
which version of Gtechniq did you have? i had CSU applied by American Shine, and that coating was amazing on my S4. i would have them do it again on my M4, but i want to get more into detailing, so i'm looking at consumer grade coatings.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:57 PM   #9
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
which version of Gtechniq did you have? i had CSU applied by American Shine, and that coating was amazing on my S4. i would have them do it again on my M4, but i want to get more into detailing, so i'm looking at consumer grade coatings.
My m3 had gtechniq on it when I bought it so I'm not sure what version. He told me it's their ten year coating I think? There's no comparison between the graphene and gtechniq as far as shine, feel, and ease of maintenance.

Funny you mention American shine. I'm dropping my m3 off with them in August for them to ppf the entire car and apply csu on the ppf. Brian is the man. He's the only one I'd trust with my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 10:09 PM   #10
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
My m3 had gtechniq on it when I bought it so I'm not sure what version. He told me it's their ten year coating I think? There's no comparison between the graphene and gtechniq as far as shine, feel, and ease of maintenance.

Funny you mention American shine. I'm dropping my m3 off with them in August for them to ppf the entire car and apply csu on the ppf. Brian is the man. He's the only one I'd trust with my car.
One of the best decisions you’ll make for your car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 07:03 AM   #11
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
i myself am on the fence about going with Adam's Advanced Graphene this time around. i've had Gtechniq CSU on my B9 S4 and it was phenomenal. i'm skeptical about Adam's offering a 9 year consumer coating, but i guess time will tell. i have read some reviews about their graphene ruining plastics and being much more prone to high spots. of course, this seems more of an installer error. nevertheless, there aren't enough reviews out there, which is leading me to stick to the tried and true CQuartz 3.0. what are your thoughts after 4 months?
After 4 months, the product is still fine. I can't say there's really a difference between this and the ceramic I used prior.

I do see that Avalon dropped their 5 year claim to 3 years...which is probably more accurate. True test of the graphene will be after a winter. Avalon barely made 2 years...we'll see where this comes in.