Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

Winter washing tips, particularly under car and with PPF in northern climate

I've done some searching through the forums and have definitely found some good info but still have a couple questions. I live in a place where there's heavy snow and salt. I do have a garage but it's not heated nor is there much room to work when both my wife and I are parked inside. In warmer weather, I use ONR. I do not have a pressure washer and the front half of my car has PPF.

So, first, regardless of season, what's the best way to wash under the car?
Next, during winter, what's the best way to get built up salt residue off the car?
For those with PPF, have you taken your car through an automated car wash before (touchless or brush). Last spring, I took mine through a touchless car wash (the main reason was to wash under the car, but also to clean any leftover salt) and a corner of the PPF started to peel up. I talked to the guy who did the PPF and he actually recommended going through a brush car wash, ideally one that is new or known to have softer bristles than others because touchless car washes are known to lift off PPF.

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by codys21 View Post
I've done some searching through the forums and have definitely found some good info but still have a couple questions. I live in a place where there's heavy snow and salt. I do have a garage but it's not heated nor is there much room to work when both my wife and I are parked inside. In warmer weather, I use ONR. I do not have a pressure washer and the front half of my car has PPF.

So, first, regardless of season, what's the best way to wash under the car?
Next, during winter, what's the best way to get built up salt residue off the car?
For those with PPF, have you taken your car through an automated car wash before (touchless or brush). Last spring, I took mine through a touchless car wash (the main reason was to wash under the car, but also to clean any leftover salt) and a corner of the PPF started to peel up. I talked to the guy who did the PPF and he actually recommended going through a brush car wash, ideally one that is new or known to have softer bristles than others because touchless car washes are known to lift off PPF.

Thanks for any help!
My car is full PPF. For a winter wash, I'm using Ammo NYC products (Frothe w/ the winter boost additive, though I think now he makes a version that's all in one) with the handheld frother thingy. I will have an extra bucket with hot water that i replenish and use a smaller bucket to take from that and do a mini-rinse as I finish each section with the soaped-up microfibers. See:

Regarding taking care of the undercarriage, not sure. I'm debating just using above as end of season approaches with car jacked up to get a good spray under there as best I can. In past I haven't really done anything special come Spring, but as car is getting older I've thought more about it.

Also debated getting something like this, but clearance may be issue depending on lowering
https://www.amazon.com/Erie-Tools-UC...ps%2C31&sr=8-5
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

car wash
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #4
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
My car is full PPF. For a winter wash, I'm using Ammo NYC products (Frothe w/ the winter boost additive, though I think now he makes a version that's all in one) with the handheld frother thingy. I will have an extra bucket with hot water that i replenish and use a smaller bucket to take from that and do a mini-rinse as I finish each section with the soaped-up microfibers. See:

Regarding taking care of the undercarriage, not sure. I'm debating just using above as end of season approaches with car jacked up to get a good spray under there as best I can. In past I haven't really done anything special come Spring, but as car is getting older I've thought more about it.

Also debated getting something like this, but clearance may be issue depending on lowering
https://www.amazon.com/Erie-Tools-UC...ps%2C31&sr=8-5
That was a helpful video. That frothy stuff seems pretty good and not necessarily much different than ONR; just bubbly.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
car wash
What kind of car wash? Touchless, scrubber, diy? Do you have PPF?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by codys21 View Post
What kind of car wash? Touchless, scrubber, diy? Do you have PPF?
im sorry just being an ass

idc what car wash I go through, if its relatively new then Im good to go, its just a band aid till I can hand wash

i used to be anal, and realized a DD will get slightly fucked no matter how much care you put in
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 11:10 AM   #7
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have full front PPF and use either touchless car wash or get a mobile detailer to come for a hand wash. If your PPF can’t handle a touchless wash then the guy is a crappy installer.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
im sorry just being an ass

idc what car wash I go through, if its relatively new then Im good to go, its just a band aid till I can hand wash

i used to be anal, and realized a DD will get slightly fucked no matter how much care you put in
Im in the Philly area too... and I feel the same. A clean car through a car wash looks far better than a dirty one waiting for the "perfect" hand washing weather.

Where do you take your car?
I feel like Im at the end of my lifestyle when it comes to auto washes, as I am getting a carbon front lip installed soon, which might make the clearance too low to enter a wash.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #9
kindafrosty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 F80 / ‘08 E83

OP you need to find a new installer. The recommendation to go through a car wash with brushes is nonsense, regardless of the brush quality. IMO he is clearly trying to deflect a poor PPF installation.

I've had both SunTek and 3M PPF (cut and precut) everywhere but the doors for almost 2 years now and not one peeling issue at over a dozen different automatic touchless washes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #10
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

on warmer days I go through a touchless car wash

on colder days, I do the Spray and Wash just to get the salt and dirt off

spray up under the car on both sides and front and back
2016 228Xi - 2017-2018
2003 Acura RSX Type S 2003-2017
Appreciate 0