F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Display goes black!! Help Please!!!!
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
tjgjsj
Rep
Drives: BMW 745li, 535xi, X5, 328xi

Display goes black!! Help Please!!!!

I have a 2014 328i xdrive with the entry level CIC Head unit and a few months ago the display would go black on occasion but after shutting the car off for about 15 minutes everything would go back to normal but then it started happening on a regular basis especially when the outside temperature started to rise so I decided to replace the screen with the 8.8 inch android type screen (I will put a link below) and that screen did the exact same thing to my surprise. Naturally I assumed it had to be the head unit right, so I replaced the HU with a matching unit and the exact same thing happens. At this point I’m at a loss as to what could be the problem. The thing goes black no matter what display is in or which HU is in…… if Anyone can help with any suggestions or ideas or know of any place that maybe run a diagnostic I would forever be indebted to you

https://www.wakaa.us/products/apple-...32-f33-f36-f80

I know you guys can help
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgjsj View Post
I have a 2014 328i xdrive with the entry level CIC Head unit and a few months ago the display would go black on occasion but after shutting the car off for about 15 minutes everything would go back to normal but then it started happening on a regular basis especially when the outside temperature started to rise so I decided to replace the screen with the 8.8 inch android type screen (I will put a link below) and that screen did the exact same thing to my surprise. Naturally I assumed it had to be the head unit right, so I replaced the HU with a matching unit and the exact same thing happens. At this point I’m at a loss as to what could be the problem. The thing goes black no matter what display is in or which HU is in…… if Anyone can help with any suggestions or ideas or know of any place that maybe run a diagnostic I would forever be indebted to you

https://www.wakaa.us/products/apple-...32-f33-f36-f80

I know you guys can help
Thanks in advance
If the HU went out CID Screen would say NO SIGNAL. HU wasn't the issue. You have a short in the $10 cord supplying power/signal between HU and original CID screen that is still happening with your replacement. When the power shorts out, the screen goes dead.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
tjgjsj
Rep

I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. Thank you for the reply You by any chance wouldn’t happen to know what color the cable is or where I could find a replacement set. If I can purchase the wires I will definitely replace them.

Thank you

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgjsj View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. Thank you for the reply You by any chance wouldn’t happen to know what color the cable is or where I could find a replacement set. If I can purchase the wires I will definitely replace them.

Thank you

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2888

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #5
tjgjsj
Rep

Hey thank you for the info.
Appreciate 0