BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 1 Series Forum Second Generation (F40) BMW 1 Series (F40) General Discussion

08-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Overly sensitive Park Distance Control emergency braking

Does anyone else have issues with the emergency braking being overly sensitive? On my 3 series, it only really activates when there is a real risk of collision, but on my wifes 1 series, it seems to activate when you're more than 2 foot away from something.

When we reverse onto the drive, there is a hedge that is a good couple of feet from the rear / side of the car as you reverse past it but half the time it still jams on the brakes! It's a shame you can't dial down the sensitivity, it just seems its either on or off.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

Have not experienced this myself, and I reverse into a driveway with a wall on one side with a fence to the rear and to the right. Have you checked the settings?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukeuk View Post
Have not experienced this myself, and I reverse into a driveway with a wall on one side with a fence to the rear and to the right. Have you checked the settings?
I had a look, but it seems the choice is only on or off. Shame it doesn’t have different sensitivities like some of the other options.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

I liked the idea of it but also find it too sensitive. Reversing out of the garage was a non starter with it switched on as it continuously stopped the car.

I now have it on number 8 of the quick buttons to turn on and off as I want. I just know that the time I forget to activate it will be the time I reverse into something though!
Appreciate 1
srbs73542.00
      08-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

I agree guys it's way too sensitive! I thought I had hit something the first time it happened! Good idea to add it to the short cut keys
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #6
cukeuk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Series 2 GC M235i xDrive

Apologies, just realised I'd turned mine off as Audi's system had similar issues...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
I liked the idea of it but also find it too sensitive. Reversing out of the garage was a non starter with it switched on as it continuously stopped the car.

I now have it on number 8 of the quick buttons to turn on and off as I want. I just know that the time I forget to activate it will be the time I reverse into something though!
I tried the shortcut keys but it would only allow me to choose the high-level menu not actually uncheck the option itself which was annoying.

I also tried disabling the side warnings but that didn’t help either!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #8
Hartside
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
I tried the shortcut keys but it would only allow me to choose the high-level menu not actually uncheck the option itself which was annoying.

I also tried disabling the side warnings but that didn’t help either!
Yes, it’s the menu before if I remember correctly but it gets you there far quicker than remembering where it is in iDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Yes I have found this to be the case too
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 12:34 AM   #10
hitmankvt
Enlisted Member
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (2020) F48 X-Line

Quote:
Does anyone else have issues with the emergency braking being overly sensitive? On my 3 series, it only really activates when there is a real risk of collision, but on my wifes 1 series, it seems to activate when you're more than 2 foot away from something.

When we reverse onto the drive, there is a hedge that is a good couple of feet from the rear / side of the car as you reverse past it but half the time it still jams on the brakes! It's a shame you can't dial down the sensitivity, it just seems its either on or off.
Yes, I had the same issue with my F48. Had to take it to the BMW garage for fixing (no charges). Works fine now.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmankvt View Post
Yes, I had the same issue with my F48. Had to take it to the BMW garage for fixing (no charges). Works fine now.
In the end we gave up and turned off all the automatic braking!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #12
MugatuJag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 228I XDrive GC

Quote:

You guys are lucky that you have reverse automatic braking, I don’t believe it’s even available in the United States as an option? On my G 20 it was extremely overly sensitive for curbs that we’re 5 feet away and it scared the shit out of me I thought I had hit something all the time LMAO
Appreciate 0