Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #23
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I'm gonna rain on this parade a tad.

Stop showing photos of when it comes out of the detailers. I can show you similar photos of my own vehicles leaving my garage in 3 hours and using old turtle wax and a one-bucket wash method (ha!).

Show and demonstrate value after 3 years. That's what the becnhmark should be: the cost of these applications (from aprofessional) is the cost of 3 years worth of good exterior detailing.

So talk or show how the paint looks after a simple car wash 3 years after the initial treatment, after it's been blasted by snow/ice/salt and rocks.

The reason so few such pictures exist, and even that you don't see some detailer's car with a certain product applied to half the car and then driven for 3 years with no other products on that half, is that:

1. No one has put in the effort
2. The results are quite ambiguous

Listen, our cars already come with super thick clearcoat. That's why they are orange peeled to death. Adding a bit more thickness to the clearcoat will not protect from rocks, scratches, etc....much better.

An actual thick film can help, but with alot of expense and some issues with care (i.e. birdpoop can stain it if left on for a few days, etc.)
      09-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #24
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

After literally spending thousands on detailer's over the years with my E46 M3 and more recently E90 M3, I have come to the conclusion that all these protectant's and coatings are a waste of money. The car looks great for a few days and then I have to wash it again. The results looked similar with a simple wash and wax. Some may argue that these coatings protect the car long term but even if that were the case, who are we saving the car for? A future buyer? Most of us sell our cars in 3-4 years and move onto the next. I don't see a car with rock chips on the front bumper getting any less money in resale compared to a car covered in coating. Atleast it wasn't the case when I sold my car. The buyer understands he/she is buying a used car and cars age with time and that's normal. I plan to daily drive mine and wash it over the weekend. That should be enough.

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 09-22-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #25
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
After literally spending thousands on detailer's over the years with my E46 M3 and more recently E90 M3, I have come to the conclusion that all these protectant's and coatings are a waste of money. The car looks great for a few days and then I have to wash it again. The results looked similar with a simple wash and wax. Some may argue that these coatings protect the car long term but even if that were the case, who are we saving the car for? A future buyer? Most of us sell our cars in 3-4 years and move onto the next. I don't see a car with rock chips on the front bumper getting any less money in resale compared to a car covered in coating. Atleast it wasn't the case when I sold my car. The buyer understands he/she is buying a used car and cars age with time and that's normal. I plan to daily drive mine and wash it over the weekend. That should be enough.
A friend of mine has told me the same thing. He said yearly clay bar and waxing periodically throughout the year will yield the same results. The only worthwhile investment is probably getting a clear bra but $1500+ is steep. Isn't there the possibility of the film yellowing over time as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #26
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

A clear film will reduce rock chips as the mileage accumulates and keep insects easier to clean, though apparently leaving on some insects/bird droppings can etch the film or discolor it permanently.

I've had a few vehicles now rack up 120k miles in my rock-salt-heavy state where when driving on the turnpike in the winter you can hit your car getting sandblasted. On dark colors, it looks like crap after 50-80k miles (i.e. black).

On some colors it's far less noticeable.

And, if you are willing to go this route, there's nothing wrong with a bumper re-spray...though it doesn't hit the hood or front fenders and other areas.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #27
F80JMcD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've had a couple of pretty bing gashes in my bumper and hood from rocks. Local shop was able to fill and blend, but it was a process (bring car in, fill will paint, knock it down, repeat 3x...took almost a year due to travel schedule). Can't even tell. The roads are pretty soft here in NC which is why i want to go XPEL route.
Mineral Grey F80 M3 /// Full Sakhir Leather Interior /// 19" Light Alloy Wheels /// M Adaptive Suspension /// DCT /// Carbon Fiber Trim /// Carbon Fiber Roof /// Executive Package /// HK /// LED Lighting /// MPE /// KW HAS /// ESS E-Tronic
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #28
Tubernator
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2013 X5 Diesel  [0.00]
Fwiw, I am not one to say that these sealants/coatings are going to protect against rocks and debris. That is mosdef sales speak.

I have had treatments on previous cars, and will say that the maintenance was easier than detail wax. Probably more expensive on a three year analysis, but a simple wash brings back a great look, and I HATE swirls, which these are intended to assist with.
      09-24-2014, 11:31 PM   #29
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post

Good point. There's so many options out there it gets confusing
      09-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #30
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

IMO, these coatings will make a difference, if that matters to YOU. It depends on quite a few things, such as where you live/drive, if that area has a lot of loose rocks/debris, jacked up trucks, harsh weather conditions, and most importantly, if you care about the details. For some, it's not worth it. For others, it's a hobby, and coatings definitely work; they are not (all) marketing hype. Opti-Coat, C-Quartz, etc. all require the proper prep. If you don't believe that, search for opticoat failures.

In terms of longevity, that is not as straightforward. I have seen and heard of these products working for 3 years after application, but it's never been clear how well these people take care of their paint in the meantime. With good regular washing/sealing, a car could probably look just as good and clean without the coating. But it will likely require more time.

As for rock chips, no coating will work nearly as well as a PPF.

Personally, detailing is a bit of a hobby. I have Opti-coat on one of my cars, and will get some kind of coating for the new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #31
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

What is Opti-Coat?
What is CQuartz Finest?
Modesta coatings are absolutely amazing as well.
Don't want a coating? Look to Swissvax.

Spoiler alert:
Coatings are not invincible. They are wear and tear layers. Are they more chemically resistant, scratch resistant and last substantially longer than sealants or waxes? Yes. But if abused, it won't matter. Gross negligence will cause any coating to be a waste. But with proper care, a coating that was properly installed will give you more protection than any option short of a car fully wrapped with clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #32
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

I will opticoat, clearbra, bubble wrap my car and keep it in an underground vacuum sealed bunker
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #33
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTerp View Post
Had mine done with Modesta, which is a similar coating. Amazing results.

Anymore pics, how's it for scratches?
Appreciate 0