BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

06-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
AdamNJ
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Silverstone/Fox

Remaining Pad Life

I have an upcoming HPDE event and wanted to find out how to determine the remaining life of my OEM Pads. I've run two single day events this year, and have 11k of daily driving. Does anyone know what the thickness is of new OEM pads? Is there an easy way to determine remaining life?

If I don't have enough remaining life, any recommendations for aftermarket pads that will be used primarily for daily driving and 3-4 HPDE events per year? At this point I do not want to swap pads after each track event.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Regardless of wear, I strongly recommend you get away from the stock pads for track events. See the post I just made this morning.

EAS carries Cool Carbon which is advertised as a potential street/track pad. I thought about going this route, but talked to a number of drivers at my event and it seems the consensus is to go to a full track pad.

I plan to do a full track pad and learn how to change them out myself. The other nice part of this is when you get the car serviced you will have the stock pads on so you won't be denied free pads and rotors if you need them.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Do a Carbotech pad they are cheap and very very good

Just go like 2-3 types down, if you're beginners I wouldn't get a really aggressive pad. I like a lot of bite on instant braking
Not good if you won't know how to control the car if it breaks loose from under you

They last a good amount of time handle heat well and don't burn up too quickly
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

A general rule of thumb on pads (at least track pads) is that the remaining pad should be thicker than the backing plate on the pad. If it is less, then change pads.
OEM pads may be different. With this car, for the track, I do not like OEM pads at all. But, thats just my position.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0