F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain Malfunction - Cylinder 4 Misfire Diagnose/Fix?
Studio RSR

12-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #1
Shmouzer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Drivetrain Malfunction - Cylinder 4 Misfire Diagnose/Fix?

Good evening all. Looking for any insight and guidance regarding some issues with my 2013 BMW 3 series F30 N20 (I believe) automatic 8 speed. Not sure if any other info required regarding the model/etc.

Some background on the car. 2013, 8.5 years old and just about 20,000 miles in NYC. Mostly city miles, but still very low mileage on the car. It's sat in front for a long period of it's life, as I have no garage.

Issue with the car arose about 1.5 months ago, went to get on the highway to my friends house and received a DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION as the car began to shake. I hopped off the highway and was thankfully not far from home, came back home and left the car where it was.

Bought a Foxwell NT510 to diagnose as my friend advised. Upon plugging it in, it read cylinder 4 misfire. I swapped out coil 1 and 4 after getting this reading, cleared the codes, and turned the car on again to read the new codes. This time, it read cylinder 1 and 4 misfire. After that, I bought 4 new coils and sparkplugs. Installed all 4 and started the car again after clearing the codes. Again, cylinder 4 misfire.

Upon discussing with a few mechanic friends and my friend who advised the initial diagnosis and swap of the coils/spark plugs, I was told that it is likely an injector issue and that if I swapped out injector 4 with a new one and coded it, as I've seen in videos, that should fix.

If I bought the parts to replace the injector, along with the tool to pull the old and install the new injector, would I be able to code the new injector with the Foxwell NT510? I believe I could, but want to be sure.

Also, any other input on potential diagnoses would be appreciated. I'm attaching pictures below of the spark plugs when I pulled them, in order cylinder 1 to 4. Also, see below links for the injector and tool I plan on buying to do the injector swap for cylinder 4.

Injector: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ch-13647629174

Injector pull tool: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...mover-cta-7658

photos of spark plugs:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Yes the Foxwell can definitely code the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #3
kenzocan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335is MT, 428i cpe, 335is DCT

Get a guy to do it for you

I paid 230 for a new injector and coding

I had the same issue after I pounded on the car and that seemed to be the solution 4 me
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

I've had the injectors out on my N20 and had to change the Teflon seals. Can stretch them using a pen lid, then tighten it on the injector using a jubilee clip+10mm fuel pipe, then 8mm fuel pipe. There's a video on YouTube of how to do this.

Also, I used an eBay kit to remove and install the injectors for pennies. The install is just the reverse of removal and the kit allowed me to not over-tighten as there is a limit when installing. Think it's 5nm, but worth checking on ISTA.

Also, might be worth checking it's plugged sun and not come loose. You could swap two injectors round if you can do it within an hour. Don't want to leave the Teflon seal out too long as it may expand.

Also are you mapped?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
Shmouzer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive

Alright so update: I fixed it. I swapped the coils around to see if the issue moved with the coils like my initial test. New coil 1 swapped with 4, this made the cylinder problem shift to the 1. I replaced with another new coil and we're all good! Driven for about 50 miles and no issues. Kind of mad that the coil I put into cylinder 4 managed to also be a problem, because I had no idea what the problem was since with all new coils the cylinder 4 misfire persisted. Just bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Yes the Foxwell can definitely code the injectors.
Thanks, good to know for future reference!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzocan View Post
Get a guy to do it for you

I paid 230 for a new injector and coding

I had the same issue after I pounded on the car and that seemed to be the solution 4 me
That doesn't seem too crazy, maybe worth checking in the future with a mechanic what the cost would be. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG330 View Post
I've had the injectors out on my N20 and had to change the Teflon seals. Can stretch them using a pen lid, then tighten it on the injector using a jubilee clip+10mm fuel pipe, then 8mm fuel pipe. There's a video on YouTube of how to do this.

Also, I used an eBay kit to remove and install the injectors for pennies. The install is just the reverse of removal and the kit allowed me to not over-tighten as there is a limit when installing. Think it's 5nm, but worth checking on ISTA.

Also, might be worth checking it's plugged sun and not come loose. You could swap two injectors round if you can do it within an hour. Don't want to leave the Teflon seal out too long as it may expand.

Also are you mapped?
Not mapped, but good to know I can get a cheap kit to remove injectors if I need to do this myself in the future.

Thanks for the responses but we're good. Super unlucky with the coils but glad it's fixed. Knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

If you have a pc, you can code and diagnose with ISTA+ and a bmw obd2 cord -> Ethernet -> usb.

Otherwise these injectors DO get dirt and grime on them around 60-70k it seems. Swap them out with new + new "seats" and code their "flow" with ISTA+ or the foxwell. It's a pretty easy straight forward task if you have an n54 injector tool.

For the future:
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-repl...n20-n26-engine
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 0