BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2024, 07:02 PM   #1
Skrim
Fixer of Cars
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, E90 328i, G01 M40i

Flutter/strange intake noise at 2000+ RPM and under load

Hello all, finally tracked down a strange noise my 18 X3 M40i was making. It sounded like a weird turbulent air intake noise that started at 2000RPM and happened to redline, but only when you gave it enough gas to spool the turbo. At first, I thought maybe it was ASD or Turbo on the outs, but since I was not down on power or throwing faults I decided to just inspect my intake track today. I found the little flap on the intake filter box had come loose, nothing was broken just hanging on by a thread, I found it by tapping on my intake box and it sounded like a broken spring was in there. Just something to check if your B58 also has a strange hiss/suction noise and is otherwise fine. Attaching pictures, hopefully, this helps someone else who hates strange noises in their car.

here is the flap, I'm holding it right above where it should be installed on the airbox.
Appreciate 1
jsh1391722.00