BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
kelvin12382003
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E66 750LI

Is It Possible??

Hi all

Just a quick question. have been reading a lot of people saying how they can not wait for the m3 in USA.

But cant they just buy one from Europe then ship it back?

Just wanted to know??

Hope you dont mind

Regards

KELVIN
Attached Images

Last edited by kelvin12382003; 11-29-2007 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: want to
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

I'm sure it's possible but then I'd have to pay the outrageous prices you guys pay for the car, and then pay to ship it here and get it through customs. I think I'll just wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
kelvin12382003
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E66 750LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
I'm sure it's possible but then I'd have to pay the outrageous prices you guys pay for the car, and then pay to ship it here and get it through customs. I think I'll just wait.
ahaa ok

i understand now

THANKS
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Gray market M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin12382003 View Post
Just a quick question. have been reading a lot of people saying how they can not wait for the m3 in USA.
It would have to be a US version to be imported, which they haven't started producing yet.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
It would have to be a US version to be imported, which they haven't started producing yet.
+1

The US Crash/Safety and Emission certifications definitely have to change some body/chassis and engine parts from the Euro version to comply with those laws... parts that are not even available for sale yet even if you need them for conversion.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
+1

The US Crash/Safety and Emission certifications definitely have to change some body/chassis and engine parts from the Euro version to comply with those laws... parts that are not even available for sale yet even if you need them for conversion.
Although I do not have a list of changes required I do know that OEMs are making en effort to make EU and NA cars as similar as possible. I would be suprised if the changes required are as broad and extensive as what you list. I don't suppose you have a list of exact changes do you?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Although I do not have a list of changes required I do know that OEMs are making en effort to make EU and NA cars as similar as possible. I would be suprised if the changes required are as broad and extensive as what you list. I don't suppose you have a list of exact changes do you?
No list; I don't think that there are too many differences either. However I don't think that Europe has adopted the 5 mph bumper impact-without-damage requirement nor the ULEV certification (as many states require now) as here in the USA. Those two regulations will require probably different bumper reinforcements and different ECU programming or catalytic converters. Also the side impact laws are definitely different between the USA and Europe, so even the doors inner frame/airbags itself could be slightly different.

So other than the side markers, I don't specifically know what exact differences are between Euro and USA M3's.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Im sure if you were really rich and you had connections with the right people you can get a M3 in Europe and bring it here
      11-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
...However I don't think that Europe has adopted the 5 mph bumper impact-without-damage requirement...
Oh we have, no damage at impacts up to 4kph, up to 15kph only shock absorbers have to be replaced.

Best regads, south
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Oh we have, no damage at impacts up to 4kph, up to 15kph only shock absorbers have to be replaced.

Best regads, south
That's 2.5mph, so no change from what I knew from being stationed in Germany in the early 90's.

In the USA we expect no damage up to 5 mph (8 Kph).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
southlight
Rep

Quote:
That's 2.5mph, so no change from what I knew from being stationed in Germany in the early 90's.

In the USA we expect no damage up to 5 mph (8 Kph).
Ok, but not that much of a difference. Shouldn't require a total different construction/design, just different absorbers I guess.

Best regads, south
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
However I don't think that Europe has adopted the 5 mph bumper impact-without-damage requirement nor the ULEV certification (as many states require now) as here in the USA. Those two regulations will require probably different bumper reinforcements and different ECU programming or catalytic converters.
The US no longer has a 5 mph requirement; it was only effective 1980-82 and was lowered in 1983 to 2.5 mph over the objections of the insurance industry.

http://blogs.automotive.com/6221983/...hit/index.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...per/Index.html

8) Why did NHTSA lower the bumper standard requirements from 5 mph to 2½ mph?

The agency concluded that reducing the impact speed from 5 mph to 2½ front and rear impact speed best satisfied the statutory criteria that the bumper standard "seek to obtain maximum feasible reduction in costs to the public and to the consumer." The agency also concluded that reducing the impact speed to 2½ mph and eliminating the Phase II damage criteria would not have an adverse effect on safety as measured by the number of crashes, deaths or injuries that occur annually.

The agency set the protection standard at 2½ mph after studying the comparable repair costs of a 5 mph bumper that has higher energy absorption capacity along with additional cost and weight.

After public hearings involving all parties, including consumers and manufacturers, NHTSA concluded that the public is assured of the largest net benefits under a standard that requires 2½ mph protection for both the front and rear bumpers.

9) How does the U.S. the bumper standard compare to the Canadian and European standards?

Under the Canadian bumper standard, the vehicle is impacted into a fixed-collision barrier that is perpendicular to its line of travel while the vehicle is traveling longitudinally forward at 8 km/h (5 mph) and longitudinally backward at 8 km/h (5 mph), with its engine operating at idle speed. Every vehicle is impacted twice on the front and rear surfaces and once on each front and rear corner with the impact line at any height between 500mm (20 inches) and 400mm (16 inches). While the impact speed in the Canadian standard is higher than that in the U.S. standard, the Canadian standard has less stringent protective criteria. Specifically, the protective criteria for the Canadian standard requires that the vehicle does not touch the test device, except on the impact ridge with a force that exceeds 2000 lbs. on the combined surface of the test device.

The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) regulation No. 42 requires that a car's safety systems continue to operate normally after the car has been impacted by a pendulum or moving barrier on the front or rear longitudinally at 4 kilometers per hour (about 2.5 mph) and on the front and rear corner at 2.5 kilometers per hour (about 1.5 mph) at 455 mm (about 18 inches) above the ground under loaded and unloaded conditions.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
southlight
Rep

Thanks Greg for the info! So this means no difference at all.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The US no longer has a 5 mph requirement; it was only effective 1980-82 and was lowered in 1983 to 2.5 mph over the objections of the insurance industry.

http://blogs.automotive.com/6221983/...hit/index.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...per/Index.html

8) Why did NHTSA lower the bumper standard requirements from 5 mph to 2½ mph?

The agency concluded that reducing the impact speed from 5 mph to 2½ front and rear impact speed best satisfied the statutory criteria that the bumper standard "seek to obtain maximum feasible reduction in costs to the public and to the consumer." The agency also concluded that reducing the impact speed to 2½ mph and eliminating the Phase II damage criteria would not have an adverse effect on safety as measured by the number of crashes, deaths or injuries that occur annually.

The agency set the protection standard at 2½ mph after studying the comparable repair costs of a 5 mph bumper that has higher energy absorption capacity along with additional cost and weight.

After public hearings involving all parties, including consumers and manufacturers, NHTSA concluded that the public is assured of the largest net benefits under a standard that requires 2½ mph protection for both the front and rear bumpers.

9) How does the U.S. the bumper standard compare to the Canadian and European standards?

Under the Canadian bumper standard, the vehicle is impacted into a fixed-collision barrier that is perpendicular to its line of travel while the vehicle is traveling longitudinally forward at 8 km/h (5 mph) and longitudinally backward at 8 km/h (5 mph), with its engine operating at idle speed. Every vehicle is impacted twice on the front and rear surfaces and once on each front and rear corner with the impact line at any height between 500mm (20 inches) and 400mm (16 inches). While the impact speed in the Canadian standard is higher than that in the U.S. standard, the Canadian standard has less stringent protective criteria. Specifically, the protective criteria for the Canadian standard requires that the vehicle does not touch the test device, except on the impact ridge with a force that exceeds 2000 lbs. on the combined surface of the test device.

The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) regulation No. 42 requires that a car's safety systems continue to operate normally after the car has been impacted by a pendulum or moving barrier on the front or rear longitudinally at 4 kilometers per hour (about 2.5 mph) and on the front and rear corner at 2.5 kilometers per hour (about 1.5 mph) at 455 mm (about 18 inches) above the ground under loaded and unloaded conditions.
Damn, all this time I was set that they were still 5 mph... thanks for the correction.
Appreciate 0