BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2023, 05:08 PM   #1
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

Hatch opening then closing 30%

Back in the day, the taiogate on my 2018 x3 m40i opene. and then would shut like 20% as if it was at a weird height setting or sensing something (though that wouldn’t make sense for opening all the way first). Somehow I restarted the vehicle or changed the height settings to reset and fix it. Months later, it’s doing it again but more often/common.

It opens all the way and then closes like 20% which doesn’t work well for me at 6’2”. Sometimes it’ll open all the way n stay but that seems to be less often lately. Once it opened (like unlocked) but barely moved. I touched it and it opened and then closed.

I’ve checked height settings and they’re set to max. I’ve tried changing them and setting them again with no luck. Is there any codes I can check with BimmerCode or bootmod3? Is this indicative of die’n struts? Not really sure how a person troubleshoots this. Car just hit 80,000km.

Can’t find much on google, everything is about trunk/tailgate randomly opening. Any thoughts, hints or experiences from the forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 12:37 AM   #2
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Doesn't it think there is an obstacle over the top? The might be cold contact or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 03:56 AM   #3
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
Back in the day, the taiogate on my 2018 x3 m40i opene. and then would shut like 20% as if it was at a weird height setting or sensing something (though that wouldn’t make sense for opening all the way first). Somehow I restarted the vehicle or changed the height settings to reset and fix it. Months later, it’s doing it again but more often/common.

It opens all the way and then closes like 20% which doesn’t work well for me at 6’2”. Sometimes it’ll open all the way n stay but that seems to be less often lately. Once it opened (like unlocked) but barely moved. I touched it and it opened and then closed.

I’ve checked height settings and they’re set to max. I’ve tried changing them and setting them again with no luck. Is there any codes I can check with BimmerCode or bootmod3? Is this indicative of die’n struts? Not really sure how a person troubleshoots this. Car just hit 80,000km.

Can’t find much on google, everything is about trunk/tailgate randomly opening. Any thoughts, hints or experiences from the forum?
It could be a sensor or something causing the system to think it’s under a load, hence it backs off. Kinda if you hold the tailgate down with your hand.
Appreciate 1
bouchy84.50