09-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
jafza412
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
There definitely IS a complexity to moving out-of-state with a leased car. There are sites that talk about this complexity (generally, lease-car info sites), and this is not legal or tax advice! But, if I recall correctly, depending on the State(s) you're moving to, there are taxes due at the destination. The new State has to take their cut....
Makes sense. In this case then I would request a refund from PA since I was not living there and have to pay that money to TX. But no way this is $1800 worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I don't know how it works with a lease, but I moved to TX from MT, where there's no sales tax. Updated my loan companies with new address, registered all cars in TX and never had any problems with taxes when I traded those vehicles later. Not sure why it would be a problem with a leased vehicle.
I think the issue is with the new buyer, not sure, but I think if you bought the car from the leasing company, you would be liable for the taxes since they were never paid at lease inception. If the new buyer (or his finance company in this case) bought the car directly from the leasing company, they are legally responsible.
Well I paid taxes on a month to month basis. I had my total lease payment spread out of the 36 month term and each month there was a portion of tax I paid on top of that. I don't understand why on a lease I would be responsible for paying tax on something I no longer have.

Current: 2016 M3 | Mineral Grey on Black
Retired: 2010 E92 335xi, 2007 E90 328i, 2010 A4, 2003 E46 325xi
Appreciate 0