05-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #78
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
While that is a possibility (though perhaps not by the "M1" name), I'm skeptical. Nothing is on the near horizon, and BMW has said recently that future investments into gasoline powertrains will be minimal. More than likely this precludes development of any 400hp version of the B48 - ostensibly an "S48". A case could be made for a hybrid drivetrain instead, but that would still require a large cash outlay.

A better direction at this point might be to plan for a high performance version of whatever small BEV lineup is inevitably being developed for the later half of next decade.

In fact, it's all but 100% certain that the next M2 will be powered by an I6. The reason is that they can share the drivetrain M3/M4/X3M/X4M rather than developing a new engine specifically for just one vehicle.
Well I for one believe not only that the investment for building a stronger version of this 4 pot would be minimal versus building an all-new engine from the ground up as was the case in the past (and I'm pretty sure they've already gone half the way by researching/testing the option), but that they'd have the nerve to name it M1 and claim that deep down it has inherited the original M1's genes of raw sportiness and is simply a modern reinterpretation wrapped in a more complete package in line with today's needs for interior space, 4 door usability, AWD capability and 4 cylinder low emissions

Last edited by advantage20; 05-29-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0