c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i would rather buy the previous generation Cayman GTS over this hideous 718 any day of the week, the dream is the GT4 but being realistic the only other car id choose over the M2 right now is the Cayman GTS
Wow...hideous... very descriptive.. is that because of the motor. Did the motor make the car ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
Agreed.

I couldn't fathom laying that kind of money for a 4cyl. But glad some people do, keeps the segment alive in the face of emmisions requirements.
I find the " I wouldn't pay that for a 4 cyl " comment quite humorous.

It's like saying.. I wouldn't date supermodel X because her breast bust size isn't over 38... "

While.. the bigger the better.. the tighter the sweater is a fun saying.. it's not really words to live by.

In the same token... I would think that a vehicle is also more than just any individual part... it is indeed the sum of all it's parts that make it a quality vehicle.

The Porsche 914 or VW-Porsche 914 was a mid-engined, targa-topped two-seat roadster designed, manufactured and marketed collaboratively by Volkswagen and Porsche from 1969 to 1976..

I don't really see the Cayman of today as being any different. Was a 6 cyl more desirable back then (and now).. Sure.... but deal breaker... no.
It's easy to intellectualize cars like that. But I've long since abandoned that. Intellectualization of cars leads people down the path to the dark side (911 drivers ugh).

With that out there, what you are saying makes sense. For example I loved every second I drove the 4c. Still think about it when I'm alone at night. I would love to own 7 of them, one for each day of the week.

Would I pay 80k for one? Not a chance. It doesn't "feel" like a 80k car, and to me no 4 cylinder car could ever.

There's a reason why a v12 ferrari is far more expensive then v8 ones, and it has nothing to do with horsepower. But they are of course the pure "anti Intellectualization of cars" brand.

Like I said, if you or anyone else is ok with a 4cyl at that price point, I'm all for it. Keeps the segment alive.

I buy cars for how fun they are and how they "feel". Don't give a rats ass about what they can do on paper or how many competitor cars they can roast. Depending on how they "feel" and how fun they are they get assigned a price point. Some people do the same calculation based on percoeved brand prestige. Some people do it on 0-60 times. Some people do it based on what's newest. Some people do it based on the cars exterior design. Etc.