View Single Post
      05-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
I grew up the old fashion way as well and I agree with LaRussa for calling out the rookie. For the past 10-15 years little leaguers are awarded participating trophies and the majority of younglings are just soft in general.

However, I don’t see LaRussa being an all time great just because of wins. He’s 2nd all time in losses, has had numerous post season collapses but that’s an argument for another day.

Here's a copy and paste from the MLB website of the best all-time managers from every team.

Cardinals: Tony La Russa, 1996-2011
Key fact: Franchise-most 1,408 wins as St. Louis skipper
La Russa wore No. 10 while in St. Louis to remind of his purpose: Win a 10th championship for the Cardinals. Well, he won Nos. 10 and 11, and also led the Redbirds to eight division titles, nine postseason appearances and three NL pennants.

Oh, and here's another thing I found on Wiki on La Russa: On December 9, 2013, he was unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame by the 16-member Veterans Committee. The induction ceremony was held at Cooperstown, New York, on July 27, 2014.[1] On August 16, 2014, he was inducted into the St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum.

La Russa was not the greatest of all time, I agree, but he knows baseball and respects tradition and the written and unwritten rules of the game. This punk kid plays 40 major league games in his life and decides he can ignore signs. That's the tail wagging the dog. Its the trend in major league sports and I, for one, don' t like it. Others may disagree. I don't really care.
Appreciate 0