View Single Post
      08-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #68
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

The wife of 34 years has been wanting to get a SUV. When I take the M5 (F90) in for service she always wants me to get a X3 as a loaner. She loves driving the X3.

She presently drives a 2012 GTI Autobahn (2 door) and refuses to sell / trade the GTI for a new vehicle. I did the APR stage 1 for the ECU and DSG (transmission) tune and it is a blast to drive.

We have test driven the X3M40i / X4M40i along with the Macan S. Bigger discounts can be had for the X3M40i over the Macan S at least here in San Diego County. This was before COVID 19. The Macan S as optioned per my wife's specs comes in close to 80k and the X3M40i comes in at 67k. While I am not a fan of performance SUV's I would go with the X3M40i.

I have a 2008 Tacoma double cab off-road 4X4 (purchased new) and I have been trying to talk her into getting a Toyota 4Runner (would be my choice). We test drove a 2020 4Runner Pro and I would have bought it on the spot but the wife was not sold on it. So as they say happy wife happy life. If VW still made a 2-door GTI, we would have a new GTI / Golf R but it is no longer offered by VW.

While the 4Runner is not sporty to drive, it is dependable and holds its value well. The Toyota dealer offered me 17k for my 12 year old Tacoma with 87k miles. I paid 26k (reduced from 32k in 2008). If all my vehicles (4 in our house hold) were lost and I had to start over. The first vehicle I would buy would be another Tacoma.
Appreciate 0