View Single Post
      02-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
bicyclezero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sports Wagon - 2008

I have an 08 328xi sports wagon and I just installed Curt Hitch 11771 on my car. It required a little modification. To hang the hitch itself onto the four support studs I had to dremel out the driver side upper ovalized bolt hole so that it didn't have the spiky metal tabs inside the hole. I also made the lower hole just a little wider. Then I had to ovalize the hole in the hitch strap (the one that connects to the A frame) so it is about 3/8" longer (toward the front of the car) than it currently is. A drill press with a vise is very useful here as the strap is 3/8" thick and heavy. I only intend to use this for a bike rack but it seemed to be very solid with these mods. The top bolt on the exhaust side is a bitch to get on. I got a 18mm compact ratchet wrench instead of a 18mm box/combo wrench. It was a few bucks more but really saved me time. The BMW factory bolt on the A frame that you have to remove before installing the strap isn't going to come off easily. Get a long pipe and put it on your wrench handle for leverage. The included replacement bolt isn't an 18mm bolt. It is an M12 bolt. So you'll have to get wrench for that or use an adjustable or something. When positioning the hitch itself on the 4 mounting studs be careful not to mung up the threads or you'll be bumming. Have fun!

Bicyclezero
Appreciate 0