View Single Post
      12-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10eugene View Post
Looks great! Question for you folks that understand and appreciate proper paint correction.

TrevorM3 MyFten

I bought my sapphire black f10 m5 used. The dealership I bought it from did a "descent" job of correcting any micro swirling, however, the car does have random, deep, hairline scratches throughout the vehicle. I am planning a paint correction this upcoming spring.

I suspect that even wool pad and aggressive compound won't correct some of these scratches. My only other option is wet sanding but I am hesitant because I don't want too much clear removed where it would compromise the longevity of the clear coat.

Do you guys use any paint/clear coat depth gauges? If so, what do you recommend the readings to be at before and after wet sanding and compounding?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I have had a black E91 and E70 so I know your concerns about that finish.

Wool pad is very aggressive in my opinion ( although it is my favourite )
I can get quicker through the swirls, foam pad is nice to finish the job but.....
it builds up heat too quick and if you are not careful it will distort the finish or better yet burn though it.
Doing a proper finish on a black car will force you to use 2000 grit paper and water ( with soap ).
I have levelled everything on my cars to minimum orange peel (my liking )
and then machine finish everything to a perfect glow.
Same here I do not use depth gage , why.... I work on original finishes ( mostly ) so it is easy for me to guesstimate the proper depth that I can safely cut before any trouble.

PS
Because of you guys now I have spotted yet another imperfection on my car which is the gas door ( plastic ) it has totally different grain when comparing to the rest of the quarter. Now as soon as I will get a moment it will get redone ( by me ). For now I'm finishing another " silly " project, before new years.

Hope that helps in some way

Happy new years to you all
Cheers !
Appreciate 0