View Single Post
      09-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Hope so. I read the article as well. The most disappointing thing is that they are within a percentage of the advertised range. It should be the opposite, rate lower, get higher. Trust when I say no one will complain about getting more than the advertised range. 250miles of range is more than enough for 99% of people.

I think BMW knows this and will respond accordingly. Think about this, manufacturers are chasing an arbitrary number. What's more important is real-world utilization and consistency.
Real world number are always better for sure. I'm not sure we will get those numbers accurately reflected with EV's now.

In my situation (living in Florida), when I get into my car and start it, two thing come on immediately, the AC and my music. Both of these will suck extra power from the batteries. Additionally, during the summer we get plenty of rain showers (usually one per afternoon). This will add wipers and headlights to the power drain.

I've come to rely on maximum range numbers as just that...max range w/o any accessories. The best I can do is SWAG what range losses I will incur if using an EV's accessories when driving.

I've watched a few videos of guys testing range on vehicle where temps have dropped and heat was needed and the car range was noticeably impacted. The more accessories used, the shorter the range. So, IMO any EV advertising a max range at the limit of ones actual needs probably won't meet those needs (if they use the EV as they use their ICE car).

I agree that for most people 250 miles (with normal accessories being used) would be acceptable. 300-320 (real world mileage w/ accessories) would be my sweet spot.

My situation requires a bit more range to satisfy any range anxiety. We have a weekend cabin approx 100 miles from our home. So that requires 200 miles there and back and another 75-100 for travel when we are there. My Mini and M240i can make the trip both ways with the running around in between and arrive back home with still some gasoline remaining.

To further muddy the situation, most all manufacturers agree that charging to 100% and discharging to less than 20% will shorten battery life. So are the published range numbers based on 100% to 0% or 85% to 20%?

Tesla's talk of a 400+ mile range battery could be about right for me when factoring in losses due to accessories, my cabin travel and max-min charging limits.

Still so many unknowns now. Certainly for urban travel or trips of 100 miles or less, most current EV's would be more than serviceable.
Appreciate 1