09-05-2020, 11:48 AM   #16
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I read an article in Car and Driver (last issue as I recall) that discussed the EPA ratings and whether manufacturers are gaming the system to get higher numbers. In their test and review Tesla numbers were within a percentage point of the EPA rating when tested using real world roads (that closely matched surfaces mimicked by the EPA dyno) by C&D.

I too hope the i4 meets of exceeds expectations. Still not getting why BMW publishes its range @ 373 mile while the car mags expect it to come in at 270 miles (and yes I know about the two standards used to measure range). My point being that cars available now when tested using the two methods, their differences never amount to a 1/3 loss of range. If BMW range numbers are to be believed, EPA numbers should be between 320 and 330 miles for range
Hope so. I read the article as well. The most disappointing thing is that they are within a percentage of the advertised range. It should be the opposite, rate lower, get higher. Trust when I say no one will complain about getting more than the advertised range. 250miles of range is more than enough for 99% of people.

I think BMW knows this and will respond accordingly. Think about this, manufacturers are chasing an arbitrary number. What's more important is real-world utilization and consistency.
Appreciate 0