09-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post
Epa rating is not real world rating. Peeps are getting up to 300 miles of range.
You are 100% correct. The EPA uses a Dyno to test range in very controlled environments at unrealistic speeds(It's a game of averages). They have admitted that it is highly unlikely that the vehicles will reach these results in the real world and allow for a ~30% buffer - really odd, right?

https://greentransportation.info/ev-...%20dynamometer.

The Taycan actually does perform better in the real-world as it's not trying to attract people who are solely interested in range. Search for your selves. Matt Farah drove from LA to Palm Springs on one charge and he is not the only one. This is a distance of 212 miles on a vehicle that is certified for 200 miles. Also keep in mind that these guy's did not hyper mile the cars.

The biggest difference between tech companies and OEM manufacturers is when it comes to range claims. OEMs have a better understand of automotive customers as they have decades of experience. They rather underestimate and over-deliver. In many cases, traditional OEM's do better in real-world testing vs EPA claims compared to Tesla.

With that said. With what I've seen from BMW over the last few EV models, I feel that they will be able to compete with Tesla from a range standpoint. They may not claim a higher range, but it certainly will be more consistent and have less battery capacity loss over time. In addition, the cars will be more refined.

In addition to the range, what is most important is that these cars look good. No one wants their car to look like an i3 or any of the i brand products. People want sleek and sexy designs that stand out because of beauty, not weirdness. Regardless, BMW will do a good job as it knows the stakes. They cannot afford to screw up due to long product cycles.
Appreciate 0