View Single Post
      08-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
.BMWPaul
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E87 116i M-Sport

Strange noise after fitting 19" VMR V710

Hello everyone,

I'm from the UK and last week I took delivery of a set of VMR V710s thanks to Charles Tran from VMR over in the USA.

Fronts: 19 x 8.5 et45 with 225/35 tyres
Rears: 19 x 9.5 et50 with 255/30 tyres, the tyres are Yokohama S Drives.

I've just installed them onto my 2010 E87 M-Sport with the stock M-Sport suspension and they look absolutley amazing despite the rusty calipers and drums. However, whenever I set off I can hear a strange noise which sounds like the car is rolling on a hollow oil drum, a bit like a light grinding noise but the noise is "hollow" (sorry that's the best as I can describe it). It's so noisy that it overpowers the BMWP exhaust noise that I have installed and I don't know what's causing this.

Here are some notes to consider:

1. Out of the four wheels only one of them fit onto the wheel hub bore/lip smoothly, whereas the others I had to forced them on by tightening the bolts. I think this is because the BMW wheel hub bore is 72.5mm and the VMR wheel centre bore is 72.6mm, so it was a very very tight fit. But since the hub face meets with the wheels and there are no gaps so no vibrations, there shouldn't be any problems should there?

2. I can't really see any clearance issues in the rear, however, in the front, the wheels are very close to the strut assembly with less than 1cm clearance. Does this move, or is it only the springs above it that contracts/expands? If it doesn't move, then wheels shouldn't grind against the strut assembly and therefore should be ok? Plus, the noise is a constant noise and is loudest when driven at moderate speeds (20-40mph), so if it was some sort of grinding, I should be able to see it right?

3. There are no alignment issues and the wheels are balanced as there are no vibrations at all on the motorway.

4. Could it be the tyres?

Any suggestions?

I know it's a lot to take in, I just want to get down as much information as possible to help resolve this issue.

Regards,
Paul