View Single Post
      03-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
I'm VERY leery of the lane keeping assistant, and other automation in cars. Automation is great when it works, and helps the operator as designed. However, as a pilot and highly experienced accident investigator, I can point out many accidents, over and over, where automation has malfunctioned in some way and CAUSED an accident, the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do.

Perhaps a timely example, investigations not complete yet, but possible that automation on 737 MAX aircraft caused Lion Air and/or Ethiopia Air aircraft to crash.

Multiple new G05 owners are reporting that lane keeping automation have either caused an accident, or a near miss. In most cases, this wasn't a typical environment with straight, dry, clearly painted roads, but rather when a lane split, or lane markings were non-standard, or such. In multiple cases, G05 owners have reported the automation being so strong, to have overridden the driver's input, and unexpectedly "violently" jerked the car steering out of the blue.

Yes, you can reduce the automation strength, or turn it off, which is what many G05 owners are doing. Me personally, when I experienced it on G07 test drives, it was interesting, and could be useful under the right circumstances. But automation has to be able to work safely and accurately under ALL conditions of when it's used, and I'm concerned that this BMW automation isn't where it needs to be yet.

[/soapbox]
Very good points and insight Wild!
Appreciate 0