01-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #9
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well that brings back some memories. Mostly of water ingress and breaking hubs. Those giant mirrors would rattle loose and fall off, at least I remember that happening a lot. We were hard on the vehicles, so there is that. The tracked vehicles were a lot more fun to jump, er, "drive".

Looks like a fun project. Making the suspension more compliant would be big on my list. They were meant to tow around water buffalos and other heavy things and those rear springs are a back-breaker.
Tracked vehicle jumping lol

The builder I worked with offers a much better spring rate option. Forgot to put that on the list for future mods - thank you for the reminder!

He suggested it and I should have listened to him when we had the tub off but oh well.

Last note for the moment on suspension - I actually like the rake. A lot of the suspension mods on these aim to level the truck. May get there but still liking the slight rake.

In addition to comfort it should help address the rear positive camber these trucks have given like you said - they are built to carry heavy loads!

Speaking of mirrors - these early H1 ones I sourced are not awesome - too puny. Not sure about dropping $2k on 'elephants' just yet - tbd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Nice work, that thing is a beast, always liked the OG H1.
Thanks dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Looks awesome. Now what you need is an actual cruise control, insulation and air conditioner.
How are you going to ford a river without an air stack and lifted exhaust?

Also, throttle lock is not a good or legal substitute for cruise control!

cruise - nope
airbags - nope
radio - nope
insulation - nope
ac - nope

Actually came out of auction with the real deal fording kit. In addition to the exhaust and raised intake you see in that before photo, it has an engine kit enabling the ability to safely ford. I'm not sure what the kit includes under the hood but there's something associated with it.

Decided to lose the ford intake and exhaust. I mean I know this is a completely ridiculous vehicle to begin with - wasn't going to keep the fording stuff purely based on appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Looks awesome! Enjoy the new truck
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Looks like fun. That should take you over a few snowbanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron1043 View Post
Color is amazing.
Thanks homie!

Couple pics from a quick drive today. Arctic temps here in Chicagoland.
Attached Images

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
3798j11410.50