View Single Post
      01-26-2021, 11:36 PM   #1
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Picked Up The Latest Fun Vehicle - A Humvee!

It's an M1097A2!

6.5L diesel mated to a 4 speed transmission that was built into a 4 man soft top configuration with hard doors.

It started out in great shape but ended up exceeding my expectations! The truck came out of auction with airlift bumpers with teardrop shackles as well as a winch but most everything else was added/updated.

Upgrades / major work done:
-rebuilt engine
-rebuilt trans
-upgraded radiator
-frame off tear down (frame and body were hand finished and repainted to my preference on a budget - could have gone way overboard with powder coating etc but not the goal at the moment)
-all new OE LED lights
-Mod Mafia replica H1 tri marker lights front and rear in factory positions
-fresh paint - mil spec Camouflage Sand 30277
-four 'like new' captain chairs
-four 'like new' OE X doors
-OE 24 bolt wheels with 'like new' OE Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
-early H1 style mirrors
-OE radio tray with cupholder mod
-new interior padding in the front (builder surprised me with this - I had specified to hold off on that as I will be exploring sound deadening materials in the near future)
-William Welch handmade soft top with his 'kayak access' rear curtain with large window (OE soft tops are notoriously very poorly manufactured)

The possibilities are simply endless with these trucks. I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted but got a ton of inspiration from insights shared by members of the Humvee community and builds shared on Instagram.

Summer 2020 I took a deep deep dive into the platform intricacies and along with an expert builder, we established the phase one plan.

There were changes along the way as I continued to learn more and already have more tweaks in the works. For any Humvee or H1 purests here, the goal was not to be 'period correct' or anything. I have complete respect for all segments of the enthusiast community but I'll be sticking to OEM+.

I did not serve in the military but hats off to all those who did and continue to do so including those members of my immediate family. It's a common question around the decision to purchase one of these. Also not a military buff (yet). This truck is actually a childhood dream come true!

Growing up without TV, I was not introduced to the HMMWV on the news as it was deployed for Operation Just Cause or The Battle of Mogadishu. My introduction came in the flesh as Arnold Schwarzenegger brought forth their civilian introduction as the Hummer H1. Up close and personal while living in Moab, UT, convoys of these beasts began to crash Jeep Safari.

I was enamored as a kid and remain enamored with the fact I now own one of these rolling Kleenex boxes!

Immediate plans:
-gauge refurb/replace
-Ram Mounts for iPhone and iPad
-sound deadening
-H1 wiper arms and blades
-my dog just farted
-replace winch cable with a synthetic option
-mudflaps
-plate mount
-fire extinguisher - OE is to mount next to the captain (driver) seat
-small (but loud!) Bluetooth speaker
-OE bed/cabin rear partition
-bed line just the bed, partition, inside of tailgate and shoulder panels of the rear fenders

Down the road plans:
-spare mount
-likely go with a MOMO wheel
-possible upgrades to the motor
-cameras
-debating late model H1 'elephant' mirrors
-going to spec out how Pelican Cargo may work in the bed/rear fenders
-on the fence about a brush guard - current preference is the early H1 thin version

I'm curious to gauge the interest here - the couple of main mil vehicle forums are not my jam and don't have near the participation of this community.

If there is interest I'm happy to do my best to answer questions and share these planned changes as they progress.

Thank you for looking!
Attached Images

Instagram@particulardude

Last edited by particulardude; 07-23-2023 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 10
jmack548.50
stein_325i25083.00
GenXer1365.00
Fakemike368.50
jesm207.50
Violator4587.50
VipinLJ1941.50