View Single Post
      10-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
To the op LOL I thought you were in some third world country or something where you share the roads with cattle and stuff from the way you describe your 'need for smaller rims' but you're in Aus?!

I'm a Sydneysider myself and unless you plan on carrying loads and loads of fine china, houses made from cards and performing open heart surgery in your vehicle all at the same time I'm very confident you will not find Msport suspension with 18inch wheels unbearable!
To improve the ride, go with non-run flat tyres. Simple. Keep the 18s because 16s are weak and not worth the hassle.

As for your other issues
1) Bolt pattern is 5x120, no they are not all the same but I really don't want you putting 16s on your car!
2) can't help you
3) It may overestimate your speed, no biggie
4) Thinner tyres (eg 205 v 255) will have less grip than bigger and wider wheels. That said, 16s with the right tyres can be quicker than larger wheels due to the effective gearing of the wheels.
5) The ride height shouldn't be too different. When you go to a smaller wheel, the tyre profile increases and vice versa - it keeps the vehicles height at a ballpark figure.

Whereabouts are you from anyway?
Do you have to navigate potholes like this lol
This is correct. Some things to add.

4) Make sure you use the tire calculator above to make sure your rolling diameter is the same as stock. You won't have traction control issues if you stick to those guidelines.

16" wheels might also run into clearance issues with the brakes.
Appreciate 0