View Single Post
      04-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The M Sport packages have been around for a few years now on several models of BMWs, and have always been met with some degree of controversy. Many feel as you do that pasting the ///M badge around the car and providing an aero kit was a little sleezy and dilutes the true M brand. Others appreciate that you can add some distinguishing asthetics to your vehicle without refinancing your house for a true M car.

I tend to look at each one individually and assess whether it is a package I like/want. As I have an X5 M Sport and have ordered an X3 M Sport, I reckon I have decided that I like it. They have improved the value of the package by adding some suspension changes as well - but you are right in that there are no changes made to "performance" in terms of HP, transmission, brakes, etc. That would certainly step on the toes of the M brand and also boost the cost of the package so high it would be moot.

Many other brands do likewise, for example Audi has the S-Line package for most vehicles that adds cosmetic elements of the S type.... call it marketing, but I'm on board. In the case of the X3, I almost hate the front of the vehicle without it...

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0