11-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #20
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrucebmw View Post
It all depends on the guy putting the car into the track at the wash. As someone mentioned above they are supposed to align the wheels with the inside of the track so the inside of the wheels gets scratched. If they don't or the car wanders to the outside, the wheel will get scratched where you see it. My ex's C32 had front wheels with spokes protruded past the rim and 6 times she had them scratched by a car wash guy that was not careful. One time I even warned the guy, then watched him rub the wheel against the outside of the track. He got out and looked at it and said there is nothing wrong as the paint was rubbed off the spokes, even with a plastic lined track. I never put my E36 M3 through a car wash because its too low on coilovers and it had BBS RCs that would be difficult to refinish.
Yes!!! I completely agree. All it takes is one poor approach to the tracks by some $10/HR. Yahoo, and you're screwed. I'm obsessive/compulsive when it comes to parallel parking my car, so as to not EVER curb my rims.

Sure enough, after one of the very few times I've taken my car to the automatic soft-cloth wash, one of the 18 yr. old idiots jumped in after vacuuming the interior and curbed my front wheel on my 335 while aligning my car with the track.

After I take delivery of my M3, I will NEVER take it to an automatic wash w/ tracks. It only takes 1 bad pass to ruin your wheel.....hand wash in the summer, and only touch-less in the winter.
Appreciate 0