View Single Post
      04-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
aubreyn
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 2012

Delete MSport Suspension?

I'm putting together the spec for my new 330d Touring It doesn't come round that often but when it does changing car is a great opportunity for self expression and a quick way to spend money (but what's the point of money if you don't spend it?!).

I'm going from a 320d on standard suspension to an MSport with MS+. I'm wondering if I should delete the MSport suspension. Any experience or advice out there?

My story so far:
I've driven a demo (no adaptive suspension) MS+ on 19s and was really impressed with the steering and suspension setup. Turned in like a dream. Well poised on the road. Noticeably more enjoyable handling than my current car on standard suspension and 18s. The MSport was no more or less forgiving of pot holes around town (low speed) than my current car. In contrast, I felt the MS setup was less compliant out on the open road (like it is designed to be) so that the down side is that comfort on a journey would be reduced. The MS seemed to have firmer coupling of things like joints in the motorway surface and unevenness of the surface on A roads so that the bumps and thumps at 40 and above we're more annoying.

I've also driven the adaptive suspension to see if it was worth the money to me personally. I decided no because I much preferred the softer suspension in Comfort compared to the firmer ride in Sport. So no point in adaptive if I left the chassis in Comfort all the time.

Does anyone know, if I delete MSport suspension will that change what I really like about the handling, steering and overall setup of the car?

Does deleting the MSport suspension raise the car? Even though it's still and MSport?

Any thoughts on the effect on re-sale value if I delete MSport suspension - will the vehicle be less attractive / valuable down the line in 3 years?

I'm kind of torn. Ride comfort is very important to me on a long tiring journey. But I like the driving experience of the standard MS+ setup very much. I was hoping adaptive would give me the best of both but after driving the demo with adaptive I found the sport settings just a bit too firm to be useful in my driving style and the overall driving feeling actually not as sweet (not sure why, maybe just psychological?)
Appreciate 0