05-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumblePie
So before I head out to another round of E90 test drives, I thought I would read some specs, reviews, etc. and get myself ready for some fun. I came across some interesting data that I was wondering if anyone can confirm\deny.

The E46 with the Performance package:
0-60 in 5.6 sec
235 hp
222 lb/ft torque

The E90
0-60 in 6.1 sec
255 hp
220 lb/ft torque

The difference between vehicles is supposedly only 132lbs. Am I missing something?

Its difficult to compare times like that, because more then likely they are from different sources/magazines, done on cars on different days (diff altitutes/temps). Some magazine testers do a dead start, others drop the clutch at 2000rpm, others drop at 3000rpm.. others may use an automatic. Details like that make a huge difference in 0-60 times, thats why I personally never look at those as a judgement of anything. If the article is doing a head to head comparison and they produce numbers, then it could be good to compare the two cars that were tested back to back, otherwise, its just not a good way to compare cars.

In terms of real world performance, the two cars will be very similar off the line, basicly equal, with the E90 getting the advantage as you build speed.