07-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
edub92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I've owned and tracked a S2000 as well.

As for your GT3 question....anything is possible if you throw enough time and money at it. How realistic is it for a modded m235i to compete against a stock 991 GT3 on a road course? Not very.

You would basically have to build a copy of the M235i Racing car and then add ~200hp reliably. Adding the power can be done relatively easy. The hard part is to make that power for 30+ minute track sessions. Chassis can handle 500hp in my opinion.

Rough estimate is ~$20k for parts. Then add any labor.

Honestly your s2k with ~$20k in parts will be a faster road course car then the modded m235i. Just model the s2k after the Evasive car. The BMW as a daily and the s2k as the track car is perfect in my opinion. Most fun car I've owned is the s2k.

I see you're in Socal. I only tracked the s2k at SOW, but I've done big willow in the m235. I think my s2k would be faster than the BMW at SOW.

1:23.xx in s2k at SOW (NT01 and Megan coils)
1:33.xx in BMW at Big Willow. (RE71 and KW Clubsports).

For comparison:
1:32.5 F80 M3 with Randy Pobst at Big Willow
1:24.6 991 GT3 with Randy Pobst at Big Willow
I'm 100% with you as far as most fun car, i bought my s2000 as a track toy/learning tool and ended up loving it more than any car ive ever owned. it actually turns out that im currently in the process of building it out just like the NA evasive car haha (http://superstreetonline.com/feature...4-honda-s2000/)... not touching the internals of the engine and using heavy aero, etc.

i think the s2000 is amazing for certain tracks (haven't done SOW yet but can't wait) but i also want to build a car that will have fun at high horsepower tracks. i recently took the s2000 and m235i to auto club speedway and while i had a blast in my s2000 it was nice to hit 140 in my m235i

i think 500 hp is reasonable to me for the m235i. i imagine w/ ~$25k i could probably get the car to a reliable 500hp, widebody kit (m235ir or manhart or whatever), wheels/tires, and a nice suspension setup. might need some more if the engine has to be fully built but i could do most of the basic stuff like upgrading the valve train and dry sump myself.

that being said... i dont know if that would be able to pull a 1:24.6 on big willow though... that's a pretty big gap to overcome.

i imagine with stripping the car down for weight, dialing in the suspension, and adding hoosiers you might be able to get the 2-3 seconds. adding weight back in for the cage and then adding aero and wider tires as well as more power... not sure how that would all add up.

yeah the 991 gt3 is a pretty tough goal lol.