View Single Post
      01-15-2007, 09:28 PM   #31
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
This is the way with the profit-minded company -- upsell you to the more expensive (and profitable) model. The Porsche Cayman S has no limited slip diff and longer gearing than a base 911 to ensure the 911 is quicker in a straight line and faster around a race course. The Cayman is mid-engined and lighter than a 911, so inherantly would be faster if actually allowed to compete on an equal playing field. But Porsche needs to keep the mystique of the 911 -- and the extra $12K!! Upselling = big $$!

The 335i's XEDE reflasher ($1300) will bring HP to 360-380HP (and over 400 HP with race gas) www.vishnutuning.com
You can get an LSD for the 335i from diffsonline http://www.diffsonline.com/product/customdiff7.htm
Probably $4K installed

And suspension will be easy to come by, too for $1500 or so installed should compete with the M3 in handling.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=29819&page=2

Get some cool, lightweight 18" or 19" rims with matched front and rear tires (255s all around) (total = $3K or so) and it will look bitchin', handle and go like an M3, and will still cost $10K less than an M3.

And you can get it now!:rocks:
First, I agree with what you're saying that you can get a 335 now, spend some cash on it and have a killer car that handles well and goes fast. Although you have underestimated the cost of some components IMHO, and left some things out (such as a turboback or catback exhaust). Even so, I think it'll still be less than the M3, by how much, is harder to say.

With that being said, Modded vs. Stock is completely unfair. I've driven/owned many modded and unmodded cars and the ownership experience is completely different.

Also, if the E46 is an indicator, the E9x M3 will have a stiffer chassis than the E46. Also, given the weight of the 335 it is also plausible that the E92 M3 will weigh less than the 335.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be claiming that a modded 335 is going to beat an E92 M3 @ 10K less until the M3 is out.

-Adam
Appreciate 0