View Single Post
      04-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #2702
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
I don't get people who arch their back on bench to lift "more" weight. I know that's what power lifters do and all, but it's cheating IMO, reduces the total distance the weight has to travel. Let's see you lift the same weight with your back flat, then tell me your bench 1RM is 1000lbs. Nobody counts half a rep with a flat back, why should arched back get that benefit? It's like crossfitters who can do 75 kip ups but only 10 pull ups. Can someone explain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Proper form is weight of your body on your shoulders. Meaning your whole spine should not be in contact with the bench. That does not mean overexaggerate the arch to reduce the stroke - I've definitely seen this. Your ass should still be on the bench.
The biggest offender I've seen of this is a girl that used to actually work for the gym. She's maybe 5'3 or 4 weighing in at maybe 120 or so. Watched her "bench" 185. Hand grip spread as far out as she can manage to still reach the bar. Back arched so high that the only part of her body contacting the bench is the top part of her shoulders/back of her neck. Range of motion is maybe a few inches. She gets these guys to spot her and not one of them say anything about her piss poor form.

I did get a chuckle when she attempted to do the same crap at the incline bench with 135. Can't arch your back enough to cheat on that one. Next thing I see is the weight down to 95.

I cringe with the thought of her ever providing any personal training to anyone.
Appreciate 0